Load DataReloading EverythingInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Lee Precision
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Tumbler Media?

Boolit Master

I have just tried this on saving money on media. I use walnut media and it eventually turned dark grey and dusty. So I built a small wood frame and stapled window screen over it. I took it outdoors and pored the media on the sceen. I hooked up my garden hose and washed the crude off the media and let the sun dry it. I haven't used it yet but it looks like new. The only concern I have is that after a time, it may become worn smooth and not do the job. Well I will load it in the next few days and report what happens.
    Jack
    "'Necesity' is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of Tyrants: it is the creed of slaves."
    William Pitt, 1783
    "America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we faulter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." Abraham Lincoln.

Boolit Mold
    If you were going to use a liquid. Fill your container with the amount of brass you want to clean cover with water add a few shots of lemmon juice and a small squirt od dish detergent tumble for 20 minutes and your brass will be cleaned inside and out It will look like brand new

Rick

Boolit Mold
    I put a 1/2 cup of rice in my media. Just a little. Works great. If you have some brass that is realy bad this works great. Jerry

In Remembrance

When I bought from Drillspot their price delivered to my door was cheaper than Grainger's price if I picked up the store 100 miles away. I believe it is 40# to the bag. It was $18 then and the last time I looked, some time ago, it was $22 shipped. The finer grit doesn't plug primer holes.

Boolit Mold
    I have used corn cob for years. I'm able to get it at a of the local feed mill. Call some in your area, they may be able to get it for you or tell you where you can. Seems like I pay $13-14 per 50# for it. The mineral spirits and NuFinish is new to me. I'll give it a try. I've allways used some kind of polish I get at Midway or some place.

Boolit Buddy
    I bought a bag of the lizard litter a few months ago. Polishes ok, but have found it to be very dusty, far more than any other media I've used before.....anything I should be doing to cut down on this?

Deleted
    Last edited by SharuLady; 01-10-2013 at 03:12 PM. Reason: wrong area

Boolit Bub
    Has anyone used the tumblers from harbor freight and used the wet method cleaning brass. their thumblers are allot cheaper, of course I don't know how long the last.

Boolit Mold
    Go to your local Grainger and get corn cob lasting media. Same if to better than the reloading media sold and tons cheaper

Tumbler Media?

Duke's recipe sounds intriguing. I read about the rice as media a while back but haven't tried it yet. I need new media right now.

Decisions, decisions...

I prefer walnut media to corncob but that is just me, plus I can buy it by the 25lb box at harbor freight. Add a little polishing compound and they shine like new!

Quote Originally Posted by Tamitch View Post
    Has anyone used the tumblers from harbor freight and used the wet method cleaning brass. their thumblers are allot cheaper, of course I don't know how long the last.
    I have the 5lb tumbler. No complaints, other than it is on the small side for the volume of brass I currently processing. I don't suggest the wet method with the 5lb unit; not really designed for it.

I've used corn cob and walnut over the years and I prefer the walnut, it could be just
    a function of what polish they used in the specific brands I used at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by o6Patient View Post
    I've used corn cob and walnut over the years and I prefer the walnut, it could be just
    a function of what polish they used in the specific brands I used at the time.
    Go to your local pet store and get a bag of Lizard Litter. It is basically walnut and crushed very fine. I use it and it cleans as good if not better then the stuff you buy from reloading suppliers and is about a third the cost. Also the media does not get stuck in the primer pockets as badly. I put a couple caps of Iosso case polish in every once in a while and the brass is the envy of everyone at my range.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Mold
    I am interested in the ultra magnum brass.

Mike Tooms

Boolit Master
    I bought a bag of the lizard litter a few months ago. Polishes ok, but have found it to be very dusty, far more than any other media I've used before.....anything I should be doing to cut down on this?
    Two ways to help with the dust.

If possible run the viberatory type tumbler(?) outdoors about 1/2 full of media for 10 minutes or so with lid off..

Add mineral spirits (paint thinner / kerosence / disel fuel / scented lamp oil) mixed 1/3 Nu Finish ( liquid car polish) with 2 part of prior.
    NRA Patron Member
    Vet . 2nd of the 47th 9th.Inf. Viet Nam Mar. 67-68

Boolit Bub
    I have been doing it the wrong way also. Just ordered 40# from drillspot and got some walnut shell from harbor Freight. Thanks

zoomed walnut media + nu-finish wax (just a few drops) does the trick for me! Polished much brass this way.

Boolit Grand Master

Anyone use the stainless steel media? More expensive to start but supposed to last a lifetime. Also, is adding the mineral spirits and polish considered "wet"?

Boolit Grand Master

Another source for cleaning media is shops that specialize / deal with sand blasting materials. ground walnut, corn cobs, rice and some ceramics are also used for "blasting" and can be purchased very reasonabe by the 50lb bag at these stores. I beleive the last bag of 20/10 grit corn cob was around $15.00 for 50 Lbs. I have considered running a couple bushels of hickory nut shells through the feed grinder to see how they would work for case cleaning. Hickory shells would be a little harder than the walnut hulls I believe. Shelling and gettting the grinder set up would be the time consuming end. thru the grinder would only take a few mins.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast