MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2RepackboxLoad Data
Wideners
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: .22 Hornet or .22 K-Hornet?

Boolit Mold
    I will look into the 222, I agree the long neck would likely help with the longer boolits.

I do not know very much about cast boolits. Do you think they can handle the faster twists at these velocities? I have even been thinking about a gain twist barrel, I wonder if it would be easier on the bullets in such a fast twist barrel?
    Last edited by dtraub215; 02-27-2015 at 12:50 AM.

There has been discussion on gain twist and cast referring to the 6.5 Carcano. I don't remember the consensus. The AR guys would be able to tell us about cast and fast twist barrels. I don't see a problem with subsonic loads. Boolit design may be more important with fast twist.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
    There has been discussion on gain twist and cast referring to the 6.5 Carcano. I don't remember the consensus. The AR guys would be able to tell us about cast and fast twist barrels. I don't see a problem with subsonic loads. Boolit design may be more important with fast twist.
    Thank you again for the guidance!
    I will look into the discussion about gain twist on the Carcano? I wonder if the gain twists are easier on the boolit for a fast twist?

Do you know what designs would work better for a fast twist? I guess I should see what the AR shooters use. From my first look they seem to use boolits with gas checks. I dont think I would need them for subsonics, but really I dont know.

I really know nothing about cast boolits, so any help is greatly appreciated.

Well the heaviest boolit and fastest twist I've ever fired as a 265gr torpedo in a 303 Brit with its 1 in 10 twist. That's actually quite a heavy for caliber boolit. But it was a smooth side and did have a gas check. I'm not a gas check person so I am pursuing plain based boolits. I'm aiming for 1800 fps with a plain base in one rifle. I guess I have my work cut out for me. I also want a lighter boolit at lower velocity in another rifle. For my hornet I would be quite happy with a 60gr cast at as much velocity as I can get from it. I made a swage die a few years ago which does work but I haven't gotten a round tuit. I do have a 55gr RCBS FN mold but it is a bit difficult to cast with and it's a G/C mold.

Boolit Grand Master
    My own 1-14 K Hornet will not stabilize M193 55FMJ at 2000 fps very well, so I am of the notion that heavier bullets need faster twist.

At some point low velocity lightweight bullets are defeated by environmental factors and hitting becomes hard to do unless I guess right....not easy. I sure don't try to kill anything at long range with it going slow. If I want challenge bordering on frustration try precise long range shooting with it going slow. Whether it works or not depends on your definition of long range. I admit to doing some myself. My definition of long range probably is not as far as some visualize it when shooting that way.

If I really want to hit something at distance I vote fast every time.

This same barrel throws the 225415 sideways at near 1000-1050 fps especially as cooler temps near. Take that for whatever you think it is worth.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kenyerian View Post
    http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/index.p...,231528.0.html Gray Bread Forum's have reamers to rent . Looks and sounds easy to do but I haven't tried it yet.
    I've done 2 by hand with rented reamers. Must have done something right as they both shoot great. My rifle gets much better top speeds +250. Pistol=no speed improvement.

My hornet has an oversize and rough chamber. For case life I head-space on the case mouth and don't size at all. I also have to lube the cases or they will separate on a groove in the chamber. It turned out that with Lil'Gun, the standard hornet will outperform the k-hornet. But now there is a new powder, CFE Blackout, that puts the k-hornet ahead. So now I am considering the k-hornet conversion again. The gain in velocity isn't really worth the cost though, especially that I am no longer allowed to hunt with the hornet on public land. It would be easier to load for though. We'll see what I decide.

Boolit Master
    Since this thread aired I acquired a very late M54 Winchester in .22 Hornet, that was altered to K-Hornet by Lyle Kilbourn himself (the "K" in K-Hornet). Good golly, with its Lyman Targetspot scope and a steady rest it'll crease the eyelids of house flies at 100 yards. L'il Gun, SP primers and mild SR primers, and 40-45 jacketed bullets are its favorite diet. Two iterations of Ideal 225438 molds give me great hopes for aspirin-sized groups at 100 - if, and only if, I dope the wind well and the stars are in perfect alignment.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gnoahhh View Post
    if, and only if, I dope the wind well and the stars are in perfect alignment.

I thought that only worked with muzzleloaders.

Boolit Buddy
    Looks to me like that M54 found a good home gnoahhh.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234