Load DataWidenersTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2RepackboxLee Precision
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Miha Subsonic 30 caliber mold????

I'm A Honcho!

Miha Subsonic 30 caliber mold????

With all the interest in the new 300 AAC Blackout, 300/221, and 300 Whisper cartridges of late perhaps we should discuss having Miha cut us a mold. Something with a plain base for suppressor use and optimized for the above series of cases. Should it be a nose pour??? About 220 or 240 grains or more?
    What do you guys think??? Hopefully 45 2.1 will come thu for us again with his recommendations and a drawing or two??

ADMIN

I am thinking about getting a 300 BO but I would want a iron or steel mold that I can use in my master caster.
    Plus there are several designs already available in the market place for what you are seeking.
    NOE makes one for example.

Boolit Master

Boolit Master

Oh, and it looks like Accurate Molds has some things like it as well. One is supposed to be a copy of the NOE boolit, but I didn't look that hard.

http://www.accuratemolds.com/catalog.php?page=2

I can highly recommend Accurate Molds molds.

I'm A Honcho!
    All true. But there are some who prefer the molds made by Miha.

Little Egypt, Part of the political fifedom of Chicago
    Quote Originally Posted by 2 dogs View Post
    With all the interest in the new 300 AAC Blackout, 300/221, and 300 Whisper cartridges of late perhaps we should discuss having Miha cut us a mold. Hopefully 45 2.1 will come thu for us again with his recommendations and a drawing or two??
    It would be nice to have an impact lead throat slug from one of these rifles......... Anyone?

Boolit Master
    I like the Lee design better than my 311-247 due to the nose profile. However, the boat tail has to go! I have feed issues with the 311-247. I would prefer a brass mold over the aluminium for the sake of longevity. No need for a hollow-point for subsonic work. The 230's just seem to pencil through everything anyway unless a small h/p would create enough nose drag to get it to tumble. But, than we couldn't have a nose pour.

Boolit Master

I have the accurate version, it works but can have feeding issues due to the size of the meplat. I also have the lee 230, it feeds very well but I am planning on removing the boat tail.

Boolit Buddy
    I'd be game if it was a heavyweight that didn't require magazine modification. The NOE Blackout boolit is great but needs ribs reduced to fully utilize mag capacity. Great to see one that had the pointy profile of jacketed projectiles sized to fit the mags with thoughtful design of lube grooves and their location in the case neck. That or someone make a mag that works with the long fat boolits....220 grains would be terrific.....

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 45 2.1 View Post
    It would be nice to have an impact lead throat slug from one of these rifles......... Anyone?
    If I had a 30 cal brass rod around here I could do one, but...

Can you even do that with an AR system?

If so, I have a 7.5 pistol chambered in it so I wouldn't need more than a foot of rod.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by xacex View Post
    Can you even do that with an AR system?
    You should be able to. The bolt remains locked until there is gas pressure reaching it to unlock it.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 45 2.1 View Post
    Got a new 300 BO barrel coming in a week or two.
    I'll get a slug of it and send you one.

If I had a 30 cal brass rod around here I could do one, but... Can you even do that with an AR system?
    If so, I have a 7.5 pistol chambered in it so I wouldn't need more than a foot of rod.
    Yes... ARs work fine to do impact slugging in.

Quote Originally Posted by Frozone View Post
    Got a new 300 BO barrel coming in a week or two. I'll get a slug of it and send you one.
    Thanks to both of you. PM me for an address.

If anyone else could do one it would help. I also need to know all the faults with the current crop of designs, what is good and what is bad.

Boolit Master

I have the NOE 247gr, I bought for my 300blk, it wont work in that barrel, throat is to short so I use it in my garand and a couple single shot 06s. longest I can get in my barrel is 220gr, forget the mold #

Boolit Master
    Maybe something like the 311365 spire point would work. Remove the bottom grease groove, start the taper at the front drive band, or crimp groove, and round off the point so it would have a very small meplat like the Lee mold. The problem I have with the NOE 247 is it has to large of meplat, and not enough taper to avoid using them in modified magazines. The Lee 230 is almost there, but has the boat tail that has to go, and it does not have enough taper. I don't think anything more than 220 grains would be necessary.

The throat impact slugs are done, but they don't look anywhere near each-other. The AR Stoner barrels throat looks fine, but the CMMG barrel has a ring in it that looks to be near bore diameter, maybe a little larger. Why would they put a ring in the throat before tapering into the rifling? I will post a pic once I get them uploaded. 45 2.1 let me know if these will work for you once I get them up.[IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by xacex; 10-16-2012 at 11:27 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    I am goimg to be watching this closely. I too would like to have a boolit that will work in un-modified mags. An idea I have is to make a mold with a extra large grease groove in the nose right where the mag rib would strike. I see no reason this wouldn't work, but it is kinda radical.

The throat impact slugs are done, but they don't look anywhere near each-other. The AR Stoner barrels throat looks fine, but the CMMG barrel has a ring in it that looks to be near bore diameter, maybe a little larger. Why would they put a ring in the throat before tapering into the rifling? The reamer pilot did that probably.I will post a pic once I get them uploaded. 45 2.1 let me know if these will work for you once I get them up.
    Should work fine.... now I need some from a couple of guys with bolt 300 Blackouts. If the guys who are sending the throat slugs will send me the other versions of Lee, NOE other sample boolits they have, comparison would be easier. It is my intent to make sure these work from the AR magazine and fit. We will have to see what weight that works out to.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 69daytona View Post
    I have the NOE 247gr, I bought for my 300blk, it wont work in that barrel, throat is to short so I use it in my garand and a couple single shot 06s. longest I can get in my barrel is 220gr, forget the mold #
    That's very odd. What barrel maker is it? I've heard of some issues with Whisper barrels but not BLK spec barrels. I would not take any findings from a CMMG barrel as representative of ANY other barrel chambered for the 300BLK.

Maybe something like the 311365 spire point would work. Remove the bottom grease groove, start the taper at the front drive band, or crimp groove, and round off the point so it would have a very small meplat like the Lee mold. The problem I have with the NOE 247 is it has to large of meplat, and not enough taper to avoid using them in modified magazines. The Lee 230 is almost there, but has the boat tail that has to go, and it does not have enough taper. I don't think anything more than 220 grains would be necessary.

The throat impact slugs are done, but they don't look anywhere near each-other. The AR Stoner barrels throat looks fine, but the CMMG barrel has a ring in it that looks to be near bore diameter, maybe a little larger. Why would they put a ring in the throat before tapering into the rifling? I will post a pic once I get them uploaded. 45 2.1 let me know if these will work for you once I get them up.[IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG]
    I'm not supprised about the CMMG barrel. There have been numerious issues posted about their barrels on the 300blk forum that RSilvers set up.

Regarding the magazine issue. I use unmodified Orlite mags without any problem at all.

Keep in mind folks that subsonic bullets stabilize much better when they are front heavy. The idea of an agressive taper with a spire point is going to adversly affect stability for a heavy subsonic bullet.

Also, a very aggressive hollow point (maybe like the Ness Safety Bullet) would be a big plus. Many people are really campaigning for a bullet company to make an subsoinc jacketed bullet that would expand at subsoinic speeds.
    Last edited by L1A1Rocker; 10-19-2012 at 01:06 AM.

Boolit Master

Hollow pointing also makes the nose light.

Boolit Master
    Could you go the other way, and do a nose pour hollow base? I see that they use then in 9mm plated bullets, why couldn't that work here? Kind of a funky solution, and I would rather not go that route, but if the nose gets to light what other options would work?

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast