Reloading EverythingWidenersSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Lee Precision RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I need a knife, actually I need two

Boolit Master
    even though ive got an old buck 119 with the classic wood handle, every time I go to the knife supermarket im tempted to get one of these case sets

https://www.smkw.com/case-finn-hunte...tacked-leather
    past decade or so ive kind of gotten a like for case knives with most of the other brands now being made in china

Quote Originally Posted by WinchesterM1 View Post
    I use this benchmade with the guy hook, unconditional life time guarantee, life time free sharpening and mantinace… I can gut split sternums and skin 12-15 deer a year with no problems

https://www.benchmade.com/saddle-mou...mily-hunt.html
    Without a doubt, Benchmade makes great knives but they really took it on the chin when they cut up all those guns a couple of years ago. I didn't get rid of mine but haven't bought one since.

https://www.recoilweb.com/benchmade-...es-147391.html

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Pigboat View Post
    Without a doubt, Benchmade makes great knives but they really took it on the chin when they cut up all those guns a couple of years ago. I didn't get rid of mine but haven't bought one since.

https://www.recoilweb.com/benchmade-...es-147391.html
    yes, when i talked to my Benchmade Rep about that he told me the local police asked them for the machinery to destroy weapons used in a crime and they allowed them to use the machinery. THEY didnt cut up the weapons they allowed the police to use the chop saws and things like that..... thats what i was told from Benchmade

Boolit Grand Master

This is a genuine question. Why exactly would you need a knife to split sternums and pelvis'?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    This is a genuine question. Why exactly would you need a knife to split sternums and pelvis'?
    You don't. I bought a little saw with a T handle and teeth that seem to cut on both push and pull stroke. Looks like a push dagger, but has a blunt tip so you don't rupture anything inside. Cuts through bone real fast and easy. I'll never be without one in the hunting pack again.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    You don't. I bought a little saw with a T handle and teeth that seem to cut on both push and pull stroke. Looks like a push dagger, but has a blunt tip so you don't rupture anything inside. Cuts through bone real fast and easy. I'll never be without one in the hunting pack again.
    I used to see those sold as a Wyoming Game Saw or something close. Maybe there are a few brands out now. I just have the folding saw that the blade folds into the handle and they have worked very well for me.

In an above post, it states that Buck is now offering S30V SS as an option. I don't need another knife but I think that it is smart for a main line knife maker to have at least one great steel (Knife model) as an option. I will check it out later today just to satisfy my interest.
    Last edited by Chill Wills; 09-08-2021 at 12:44 PM.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Grand Master

I guess I still don't understand. Is this to split the carcass into parts, to carry out ribs or whatever?

Boolit Grand Master

? What are you cutting up in the field that you need a saw? The neck to cape Or cracking the ribcage? Ive always followed the joints and quartered with no problem
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Moderator / Master Tool & Die Maker

I guess I still don't understand. Is this to split the carcass into parts, to carry out ribs or whatever?
    In order to properly remove the lungs, heart and windpipe from any big game animal, the sternum needs to be spit open, and a knife just don't "cut" it.
    Also, to remove the anal tube, the pelvic bone needs to split as well. Hacking away with a knife, doesn't work all that well.

RRR
    "I Make the part.............................that makes the parts"

Looking for Bullet Mould Handles, Heavy Duty Replacement Sprue Plates, Adjustable Paper Patch Bullet Moulds? Check here:http://www.kal.castpics.net/

My Feedback!

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Red-River-Rick

Why not just cut the throat, reach in and grab the windpipe and pull heart lungs and everything in one pull?
    I've never even seen the sternum cut in a deer. I've even cut the throat, flip the deer and shake real hard and it all falls out. These are big minnesota deer not nanny goat sized deer so many areas have to deal with.

Cutting the sternum would help dry out the cavity, though

Quote Originally Posted by nelsonted1 View Post
    Why not just cut the throat, reach in and grab the windpipe and pull heart lungs and everything in one pull?
    I've never even seen the sternum cut in a deer. I've even cut the throat, flip the deer and shake real hard and it all falls out. These are big minnesota deer not nanny goat sized deer so many areas have to deal with.
    Try that method with an Elk or Moose and let us know how that works out for you.

Well, our deer are definitely not smaller than the deer in Minnesota.

RRR

Looking for Bullet Mould Handles, Heavy Duty Replacement Sprue Plates, Adjustable Paper Patch Bullet Moulds? Check here:http://www.kal.castpics.net/

My Feedback!

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Red River Rick View Post
    Try that method with an Elk or Moose and let us know how that works out for you.

Well, our deer are definitely not smaller than the deer in Minnesota.

RRR
    Try even rolling over an elk or moose without two or three guys. Some of you may be tougher than me but I have always used the saw to break down the bigger animals to get them into pieces I can pack out. Deer the size of Pronghorn I can see doing some of that stuff to.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Grand Master

You can most certainly gut an animal without cutting its sternum. You're the first person I've ever heard claim otherwise. Once the guts are half out, diaphragm cut, you reach up there, cut the wind pipe, and pull out. It's bloody and gross, but's easy.

The pelvis thing is baffling to me. Maybe we had different upbringings, but I can promise you there is an easy way to get the bung hole out of any animal. You cut around, stick your finger in there, pull out, tie off, and done. Takes less time than it would for you to find an axe or saw to hack away at a pelvis.

I have cut sternums...so we could separate the carcass to trim it easier on the bench. There is zero reason to be hacking bones to gut and quarter an animal. If you want to, fine. There's more than one way to skin a cat. Don't tell me it is the only way though. It's not even the best way. I've never even heard of such a thing until now.

....................... Don't tell me it is the only way though. It's not even the best way. I've never even heard of such a thing until now.
    No where in my post did I say it was the "Only" way.

And yes, it may not the the best way, but it works for some.

RRR

My Feedback!

Boolit Grand Master

Sure you did. You don't need to split the sternum to "properly remove the lungs, heart and windpipe from any big game animal". You also said " to remove the anal tube, the pelvic bone needs to split as well", which is not true.

You found what works for you, which is great. I did not know people split pelvis's, so I'm glad to learn something new. Some people even claim we are both wrong, and "gutless" is the only way, which in reality is gut-last, where we gut first.

Now that I do know, I'd like to say the few times I've split a carcass for butchering, which is not what I'd recommend for packing, I found an Axe was by far the best. A Sawzall doesn't cut well at all, and a hand saw is a ton of work. An axe cuts a sternum like it was a sapling.

I made the crack about billy goat size deer without explainig . smaller deer have a smaller cavity and reach inside for the esophagus would be very messy. We cut around the bung hole and pull the chute out as part of the package. Shouldn't take more than ten minutes with practice.

Banned
    I've made knives for lots of game guides. I have them describe what they expect the knife to do and build it accordingly. I've built several for the uses described here with nothing but praise after being used extensively.

Boolit Master

I have been using this probably $10-$20 knife on-and-off for 20 years, and it splits the sternum just fine. The steel is probably not all that, but it takes a good edge, it is stamped United (Cutlery) UC 687 Taiwan. I found it one day while I was out geocaching, and it's been in my hunting pack since, but I do use other knifes too so it hasn't always been my go to. I do like the curve of the blade though, and the spine is stiff enough to be able to crack the chest open on most white tails. I field dress my deer head down on a gambrel, and IMO, it is essential to open the chest cavity to be able to get all the guts out. When I do use another knife that can't do that i.e. the Piranta, I use this one, or the sharpfinger, to do that task. I've tried other things, saws, hatchets etc., but because I still have the guts in place, the knife works better.
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

We clean our deer when they are shot which means they are rolled on their back cut the skin around their bung hole, then cut from bung hole to sternum, cut windpipe near the chest, cut around the diaphragm only because the arm stays cleaner while reaching in for the end of the windpipe. Pull it out and lungs and heart come along. Flip the deer over and shake out the innards. Roll it onto its back, pry open cavity and brace it open with sticks to dry. Ask the guy taking the deer if the front legs folded back or left extended (folded back makes the deer shorter to load and fit in a vehicle).
    I've been the deer gutter of our group for decades mostly because its embarrassing to admit not knowing how to do it so I just became the gut-guy. Taking off my coat to gut a deer in much below zero weather surprises people watching but its so fast I don't get cold. Also, I bring gloves to keep.my hands clean kept in a bag. When done the gloves go back in the bag to be burned when I get home. Rarely get sleeves of shirt wet or arm if my sleeve is rolled up.
    I was watching friends do a deer hung up in a pole shed by the neck. I told them to get ready after the diaphragm was cut because it would fall on the floor. A slush started and the pile fell around their feet sloshing blood on their pants and boots. I laughed. Kind of messy but oh, well..

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast