Lee PrecisionRepackboxReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Load Data
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I need a knife, actually I need two

Boolit Master

I need a knife, actually I need two

Currently I have an old Buck 102 hunter knife and it works well for what it was intended to do, but I often ask more of it than I should. My Brother's 121 is a better fit, but looking at Buck's website it seems that they have changed the blade profile and I don't like the "commemorative" crapola that they put on it, so I am open to consider other makers/models.

My requirements for knife #1:

1. I figure I need about a 5-6 inch blade

2. A nice rounded tip with a good point similar to this:

3. The back of the blade needs to be wide and flat with no serrations or fake saw edge. I want to be able to split sternums and pelvises and sometimes a little tap with a stick or hardwood dowel need be applied. The blade cannot suffer from this abuse.

4. A "gut-hook" would not be a dealbreaker but I know how to use a knife without one.

5. It has to hold an edge for at least one deer, field to freezer, less skinning.

6. The tang should go the full length of the handle.

7. A minimally contoured handle with a non-slip finish.

Price:
    You get what you pay for, but as it is a field knife I don't want to spend a whole bunch of money on it just to lose it.

Requirements for knife #2

1. Blade length: 3.5-5.5 inches

2. Sharp point, gentile curved profile conducive to long shallow cuts.

3. Ergonomic handle, non-slip, most likely synthetic.

4. No serrations or "saws" on the back of this one either, but it won't see any taps from sticks or dowels.

5. This will be my skinning knife so it has to hold a razor edge for some time. Skinning seems to be very hard on a knife's edge. I had to dress my buck knife 3 times to skin my last deer.

I would prefer to have knives made in the USA, but I can make an exception for the right knife.

Any suggestions?
    Last edited by rtracy2001; 10-13-2012 at 10:22 PM.
    My luck is so bad that if I bought a cemetery, people would stop dying.- Rodney Dangerfield

if you want a knife that will maintain a sharp edge as you described for several animals, you will need to step up in price and get away from the cheaper steel used in most factory knives. Look for a factory knife made with D-2 or S30V steel. If those those two steels are given a proper heat treating, they will dress out 2-3 deer before you have to touch up the edge.
    Buck knives does offer knives in S30V steel and they have one of the best heat treating facility for factory knives. There heat treating facility was set up by Paul Bros, one of the best in the business for heat treating. Even custom knife makers, that do not do their own heat treating, use him for heat treating their custom blades.

Boolit Master
    That looks like a nice skinning knife, and the price is very attractive (didn't check shipping). Any idea how the 1095 holds an edge?
    My luck is so bad that if I bought a cemetery, people would stop dying.- Rodney Dangerfield

Well, it's one of the "standard" knife making steels. A lot of how the edge holds is due to the hardening. Typically the edge should be the hardest part of the knife while the spine is slightly softer to avoid brittleness and breakage. I've got a couple and have no issues. I did my brothers and my own deer last season within 2 days and didn't have to sharpen the skinner. Jantz Supply (knifemaking supplier) stocks a lot of it.

http://www.knifemaking.com/SearchRes...rch=1095+steel

1095 is a common steel used by knife makers who forge their knives. Also makers who use the stock removal style of making blades.
    It is a good knife steel and can be harden to around 60rc as D-2 and S30V is harden too. The big drawback to 1095 is that it is a carbon steel, not stainless, and will rust very easy if not taken good care of. If you are a person that takes the time to clean and dry your knife after each use, 1095 will be a good steel for you. If you allow your knife to sit awhile after use, you will get rust or staining on your blade.

Banned

Im not a big fan of buck knives but used a 105 for many years in the barn for a skinning knife and it came up missing this year. I think its a matter of just being used to it but i miss it.

I picked up one of these Outdoor Edge knives since I have read some good reports on them. Sorry I have not used it as of yet. But I like the Grip and the skinning portion is very sharp. Plus I am not a fan of the gut hook on the back of the blade.

If one sits in thundering quiet the soul dies slow instead of yell to the heavens for all to hear and behold the righteous and upstanding and ones of which should be held with tales of woe. By C.A.S. <--- Thats Me lol.

Moderator Emeritus

I do better for game with a blade less than 5" 4 1/2 works for me even up to a moose. Cutting meat I use a longer blade but for gutting, hide issues and general outdoor work I like a shorter stiffer blade. Fish get a fillet knife.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

http://www.bearandsoncutlery.com/ Bear and Sons make some excellent USA made Knives.

http://www.wrcase.com/knives/view_al...y=&#39;Buffalo Horn Hunters'&View='1'
    Case knives are pretty good also. I have some of the older Cold Steel knives that I like a lot also.

Boolit Master

Listen to Knifemaker! I have 2 knives with D2 tool steel blades and they are the best i've ever owned! They were $$$$$$, but you usually get what you paid for when it comes to knives.

Someone mentioned Bear and sons. My experience with their pocket knives is Much less than good! The blades would sharpen easily but wouldn't even begin to hold an edge and the rivets holding the blades in loosened in a hurry. I put them in the same class as the $2.00 dime store knives in the checkout line.

Boolit Master

I bought a Bark River knife 5 0r 6 years ago and it has become my favorite hunting knife. I like a small drop point blade. I don't have a model or name of mine it just says "first production run" They make a smaller version of the bravo 1 that might be close to what your looking for but they are pricey. FB

In Remembrance
    I have to be different, for skinning chores anymore, I like a havalon. when it gets dull throw the blade away. I suppose one could be sharpened, but have never even thought about trying.
    I do usually carry a camp knife too though.

Boolit Buddy

I like the bench made bone collecter with D2 tool steel. A pain to sharpen but it sure lasts.

Boolit Buddy
    I use this benchmade with the guy hook, unconditional life time guarantee, life time free sharpening and mantinace… I can gut split sternums and skin 12-15 deer a year with no problems

https://www.benchmade.com/saddle-mou...mily-hunt.html

Boolit Grand Master

Mora
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Buddy
    Being that you already have a Buck 102 you might look at the model 103 Buck. Maybe not as pointy as you wanted, that's where the 102 takes over, but a good skinner and available with out any embellishments. Buck use to offer these as a combo in a double black flapped sheath.

Boolit Master

One of my favorites is the Spyderco Bradley Bowie. A rugged high end knife that will last a lifetime.

https://www.amazon.com/Spyderco-FB33.../dp/B00KQ499CA
    If liars pants really did catch on fire, watching the news would be a lot more fun!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Loudenboomer View Post
    One of my favorites is the Spyderco Bradley Bowie. A rugged high end knife that will last a lifetime.

https://www.amazon.com/Spyderco-FB33.../dp/B00KQ499CA
    Brownells has a 12 ga shotgun on sale in that price range this weekend.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast