MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
RepackboxWidenersSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Titan Reloading Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thinking about a Big Brother...

Boolit Bub

Thinking about a Big Brother...

Thinking about a Big Brother...

I don't hunt anymore but it could happen, so I am thinking good to have a "Big Bore Levergun". Back in the day I loved to handload for the 44mag./44 special for my revolvers. I don't have much experience with the 444 Marlin or 45-70. If nothing else, big bores area blast to shoot and fun to handload. I like straight walled cases and carbide dies.

The most powerful levergun I own is a 357 magnum and it is adequate for my needs but I still have the itch for a Big Brother, just because!

I want to go powerful enough to cover any possible hunting in the Lower 48 but mostly for play. I don't want a shoulder buster but a large caliber that is versatile, economical, and fun. Shots over 100 yards are not so much a consideration.

Any suggestions?

Unless you get a hankerin' for something really big the old .30-30 WCF can't be beat, IMHO. For busting bunnies or just having fun a 165-grain FP boolit over 9.0 grains of Trail Boss will get you 1,200 fps and will pop a cottontail in the eye every time if you do your part. The ol' "thutty-thutty" has taken a boatload of deer and a lot of elk as well. Anything within 200 yards better check its will.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveCampbell View Post
    Unless you get a hankerin' for something really big the old .30-30 WCF can't be beat, IMHO. For busting bunnies or just having fun a 165-grain FP boolit over 9.0 grains of Trail Boss will get you 1,200 fps and will pop a cottontail in the eye every time if you do your part. The ol' "thutty-thutty" has taken a boatload of deer and a lot of elk as well. Anything within 200 yards better check its will.
    Yes, my first love....30-30 WFC There was I time, I could not reason why the need for anything more powerful. We were dead eye shots at 100 yards open sights.

However, today I would probably choose the 35 Remington because I handload 38/357 and would want to keep it in the same family..... for simplicity.

Bottom line, I am looking shoot and handload a straight walled cartridge.

Banned

any possible hunting in the lower 48 means you want a 45/70,500 S&W,348 win, 375 winchester, type rifle.
    and possibly the 356/358 win maybe... if you aren't including the grizzly.

Boolit Master

i love my 1895 45/70. and it can be loaded with a range of 300-550gr boolits from 450 to 2450 fps or more so you can cover darn near any need with it.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by excess650 View Post
    None of the longer "straight wall cases" are truly straight walled so aren't going to be reloaded with carbide dies like handgun cartridges.

IMO, unless you enjoy recoil, the 35 Rem would be my recommendation over the 444 and 45-70. I have a Marlin in 45-70 and it doesn't get shot much these days. The 35 is more efficient in the consumption of both powder and lead, but is conciderably more powerful than the .357 in a carbine to the tune of an additional 600fps with 185gr+ boolits.
    I am thinking there is no need to full length resize 444 Marlin or 45-70 and they could be neck sized only, which should make quick work of resizing cases.

The 45-70 is such a great versatile cartridge (fun) and it is tempting to go with it.

The 444 Marlin has it's good side and I have read some interesting survival articles indicating it to one of the most versatile cartridges when combined with the Marlin levergun.
    l
    The 35 Remington or 358 Winchester are tempting. I have owned the 358 Winchester in a Browning lever and loved it. At one time I had a 35 Remington lever action but don't remember much about shooting it.

When you throw the 44 magnum/44 special and 45 Colt in the mix you get lots of versatility for hand loading and they are both straight walled cartridges which work equally well in carbines and pistols..

Not an easy decision!

Boolit Grand Master

Well, I've been trying to decide the same thing myself. I have an 1894C (.357), 1894 (.44 Mag.) three model '94's in 30/30and one in 25/35, a model 64 in 30/30, Big Bore '94 (.375 Win.), two Guide Guns one ported and one not ported (45/70) and two 1895 marlins one with MG rifling and one with Ballard rifling (45/70) and last but not least an original 1895 Win (30/40).

One day I'll decide on which one to get next...
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

You can't go wrong with either one, but my vote goes to the 444. In a pinch they can fire 44-40 pretty accurately.

Boolit Bub

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by stubshaft View Post
    Well, I've been trying to decide the same thing myself. I have an 1894C (.357), 1894 (.44 Mag.) three model '94's in 30/30and one in 25/35, a model 64 in 30/30, Big Bore '94 (.375 Win.), two Guide Guns one ported and one not ported (45/70) and two 1895 marlins one with MG rifling and one with Ballard rifling (45/70) and last but not least an original 1895 Win (30/40).

One day I'll decide on which one to get next...
    I like!

Boolit Master

If you go with a .444 you can load low recoil plinkers in the .44 mag range. I only load full power loads for my .444 now since I bought 94 Marlin in .357 but it's nice to have it as an option. FB

Boolit Master
    For a hamdloader a 38-55 can be loaded pretty stout in a modern gun.
    Closest recorded range Chrony kill (3 feet with witnesses)

I had a 45-70 Marlin cowboy and I sold it because it was too light and kicked with any heavier load. As mentioned the 38-55 is a straight walled case that does anything I would want. I don't have any experience with the 444 but shot a deer with the 45-70 and the 320 grain Gould HP. This was with a single shot BP combination. If loaded to BP specks the 45-70 is still pretty potent.
    I tend to agree with those that recommend the 35 Remington as I have an old Marlin in that caliber that I enjoy hunting with. Nothing special about straight cases, they even ahd bottlenecks in the BP days.

DP

Boolit Master
    I'm an advocate of the 444 and the 45-70 .

If a person was just worried about killing ability I'd go with the 45-70 . If however they want hunting ability and more pleasent recoil from the bench if they expect to shoot alot of paper I'd go with the 444 . A second factor in favor of the 444 is the majority of the molds one will get can do double duty in a 44 MAG if you wanted to get one of them down the road !
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Boolit Grand Master

For a big brother to your 357 levergun as a plinker and possible hunter you already mentioned a couple of excellent choices, 44 Mag and 45 Colt. Brass and powder relatively cheap and easy to find and both are adequate for most hunting situations that may come up. I have and enjoy more powerful leverguns but for some the brass is getting to be an issue due to cost and availability. The 45-70 and 444 are indeed versatile but the pistol cartridges will cover a substantial part of that territory for less fuss and expense.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Personally I can not say enough good things about the Marlin in .357 Mag or the Marlin GS in 45-70.

But to this end I also have to say I do not feel that you would go wrong with the .444 as it has many things going for it. The .444 will give you great versatility on Bullet choices and loadings from Bunny to Bear and give you flatter trajectory to boot.

I can not speak on the .45 Colt in a Lever Gun but can speak of my personal experience with the Marlin 1894SS in .44 Mag. I felt it could be a handy little rifle for close range work. But again speaking for myself I was not happy with the accuracy of the rifle at 100 yards or extended ranges up to say 150 yards.

So I purchased the Marlin 1895GS 45-70 of which I am more than happy with its performance as far as accuracy and handling.

And kept the Marlin 1894 in .357 for smaller stuff.

If I was going to purchase another Lever gun it would be The .35 Remington or .356.

I wish I could speak more on the .356 or .358 Winchester in a Lever Gun but alas I can not as I have just started working with the .358 Winchester in a Bolt Gun but must say that at this point I wonder why in the world it took me so long to get one lol.
    Last edited by JesterGrin_1; 10-13-2012 at 12:29 PM.
    If one sits in thundering quiet the soul dies slow instead of yell to the heavens for all to hear and behold the righteous and upstanding and ones of which should be held with tales of woe. By C.A.S. <--- Thats Me lol.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks for the great input everyone.

This is going to be a very hard choice for me because I honestly want to keep my guns to a minimum. This may be a getting older thing. I want what I want and that's all I want. lol

This is a lever action thing, so I would like to keep it simple.

Years ago i thought about going with 41 magnum in revolver and carbine and forget everything just above and below. However, I really like the 44 special / 44 magnum and 38 special / 357 magnum. The 44 magnum is so versatile and lots of components available, same for the 357 magnum. Therefore not much need for the 41 magnum, which may be a better all around choice.

The .44 Magnum is the way I am tilting but I'm not so sure it would be versatile enough on the high end to be considered, a do everything needed above 357 Magnum cartridge.

Ray that is why I got rid of the Marlin in .44 Mag and went with the Marlin 1895GS in 45-70. It can be loaded from mild to Wild. And if the need should arise I can purchase factory 45-70 ammo pretty easy.
    If one sits in thundering quiet the soul dies slow instead of yell to the heavens for all to hear and behold the righteous and upstanding and ones of which should be held with tales of woe. By C.A.S. <--- Thats Me lol.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by TXGunNut View Post
    For a big brother to your 357 levergun as a plinker and possible hunter you already mentioned a couple of excellent choices, 44 Mag and 45 Colt. Brass and powder relatively cheap and easy to find and both are adequate for most hunting situations that may come up. I have and enjoy more powerful leverguns but for some the brass is getting to be an issue due to cost and availability. The 45-70 and 444 are indeed versatile but the pistol cartridges will cover a substantial part of that territory for less fuss and expense.
    "The 45-70 and 444 are indeed versatile but the pistol cartridges will cover a substantial part of that territory for less fuss and expense."

Thanks,
    The 45-70 or 444 may be a little ambitious for my need as I am looking for a somewhat economical cartridge. However, I suppose if one had a good stash of brass and did his own casting it wouldn't be to awfully expensive. It would be nice to have the extra power if needed for hunting or whatever.

I could probably make do with the 44 magnum in a levergun quite nicely. It's always an option to buy a nice bolt gun in 30-06, if ever the need for more power, but that is not what it is all about. It's going to be a challenge to only do only one caliber above 357 magnum.

Quote Originally Posted by Raygun View Post
    The 45-70 or 444 may be a little ambitious for my need as I am looking for a somewhat economical cartridge.
    I recently found myself in a similar predicament. Found myself a nice M375 Marlin that should be arriving any day now, I'm thinking this will scratch my itch.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by olafhardt View Post
    For a hamdloader a 38-55 can be loaded pretty stout in a modern gun.

What's a 38-55....My Dumb!