Snyders JerkyLoad DataReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingWideners
RotoMetals2 Repackbox

Thread: Homebuilt vibratory case tumbler.

Boolit Buddy

Homebuilt vibratory case tumbler.

I got a coupon from Harbor Freight for a Multifunction Power Tool Single Speed Oscillating 1.6 amp for $17.00 on sale.

http://www.harborfreight.com/power-t...amp-68861.html

These things oscillate at 21,000 OPM or 350 times per second. I had an idea of mounting one on the bottom of a 5 gallon bucket with lid and handle. Basically drilling a single hole in the bottom of the bucket and using the allen wrench tool attachment screw to go through the bottom of the bucket. Load the cases, and media into the bucket, attach the lid and hang the whole unit from a rope from the handle. Plug the unit in and let it go for a while.

I should have it built by this weekend to try it out. I will post the results and pictures here shortly.

I figured that the total cost is ~$20, I will just need to see how well it works. I have about 3 gallon sized bags of 45 ACP that need cleaning. So I will try it 1 gallon at a time.

Anyone see any unforeseen flaws with the idea?
    Last edited by Milsurp Junkie; 10-09-2012 at 11:57 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

You will never know the unforeseen untill you give it a try. If there are some bugs just work them out as you go along and you may just come up with a good way to do a " make it yourself " case cleaner. Good luck and keep us posted on results.

The only problem I can think of might be keeping the tool attached to the plastic bucket bottom. Thats a lot of vibrating. I say go for it.

gary

Boolit Master

The most likely result is that the tool will not last long enough to clean many cases (not trying to knock Harbor Freight I buy stuff there quite often) because it is not designed to run for that long. Used as a vibrator in this manner would most likely require many times the service life that would be expected of it as a sanding tool.

Boolit Buddy
    Hey it included a new set of graphite brushes, even then if it does burn out, I am only out $17.00 or so.

Boolit Master

It seems HF includes a set of brushes with just about every grinder, sander, etc they sell but I have yet to need, or hear of anyone else needing, them. The usual failure in almost all their power tools is the front bearing and/or gearing or the motor will just smoke the windings if loaded heavily, heavy loading would be a non-issue in the vibrator however. For 17 bucks I suppose it's worth the effort but I seriously doubt one of those things will run for hours before breaking something.

I had one of those sanders. It went for years, and the way I finally destroyed it was when I used it to sand drywall. The dust got in, first screwed up the switch (which luckily broke in the "on" position--so the new switch was unplugging it from the wall), and then it got into the motor and finally burned it up. I was impressed how long it went, for less than $20.

Good luck--it's a good idea!
    Too much of a good thing is an awesome thing!

Boolit Master at heavens range
    Take a motor out of a virbrating chair for a tumber motor.