Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionWidenersReloading Everything
RepackboxRotoMetals2Load DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading

Thread: .45 Colt Loads

Boolit Master

.45 Colt Loads

Hello, everyone. Yesterday was so nice, I took the 7 1/2" Colt/Turnbull B.P. framed S.A.A. .45 out for it's second trip to range.
    I had some verification loads & some with a never before tried powder. I am forced to use a diopter on my shooting glasses..I have a clip-on Gehmann adjustable appature..this really sharpens the sights! Not having shot handguns for years..plus working too many hours..I was kind of shakey..but settled down after awhile.
    I was using the old Lyman 454190 cast from soft range lead, lubed with my #5A1, & sized .452".
    Starline .45 long colt brass, Fed. 150 primer.
    I found the starting load of 5.0gr. Hodgdon Tightgroup to be the most accurate...from a sitting position..elbows supported on knees..at 20 yds. I got a 1" group..with 4 in
    3/4". P.O.I. was right on top of front sight..windage perfect. Increasing charges opend groups & P.O.I.

Moving on to the new powder..IMR TrailBoss....same components as above....
    The start load of 4.5grs was mild..but grouping didn't reallly improve until I reached 5.0gr. to 5.5gr. Again, about a 1" group with many cuttting into each other. any higher and groups opened & impact rose.

Next, I used Starline Schofield brass, with the same two powders.
    Again..the starting load of 4.5gr. of Tightgroup prooved the most accurate..an honest 1" group..with 4 out of 5 cutting into each other.
    Using TrailBoss 4.5gr. to 5.0gr. was the most accurate..with heaver charges opening groups.
    All in all, I am pretty impressed with the accuracy considering the fine V notch rear & knifeblade thin front.
    Only a few light lead streaks in some cyl. mouths & in forcing cone..both easily removed with a few brush strokes.
    The biggest problem is the carbon in the cyl.! I used a new to me product..Bore Tech Carbon Remover..this stuff is pretty good..if you give it time to work.
    I have heard good things about WW231 & Aliant Red Dot in these lighter .45 loads..I might give them a try in future.
    Last edited by .22-10-45; 10-05-2012 at 11:50 PM.

I have a 7.5" barreled Uberti/Cimarron 45 Colt. I've shot black powder, titegroup, BP-38, bullseye, AA2 and Trailboss through it using both 200 gr and 250 gr RNFP bullets. I also found Trailboss to be the most accurate 5.0 to 5.5 gr with me usually going at about 5.2 gr. Next was the BP-38 followed the FFg black powder then the rest close though not quit as accurate. I've also shot these loads in my Rossi 92 45 Colt, 20" barrel rifle out to 50 yards with about the same results. I've never tried the Schofield brass or the Cowboy special stuff but might eventually.
    Joe

Boolit Grand Master

Fantastic results with that SAA. Shows that you are making really good ammo
    and that Colt and Turnbull really did things correctly, too.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

For me and my Taylor/Uberti Smoke Wagon 4 3/4" .45 Colt, the best and most accurate loads are:

5.5gn of Trail Boss under a Oregon Trail Cast 250gn RNFP

and

7.5gn of Unique under the same as above bullet.
    "Of All The Things I Have Lost During My Life, I Miss My Mind The Most!!!"

Boolit Buddy
    7-8 grs of Unique. Depends on how much muzzle flash i want. But accurate load is 7.5 gr Unique.

Boolit Mold
    Out of my Vaquero, I have been shooting 5.9 gr of titegroup with a 250 cast bullet and Winchester primer. Seems satisfactory so far.

Boolit Buddy

7.5 of Unique with a 250 gr RNFP out of my S&W 625 4", very accurate

Banned

I think Unique is best at moderate/high levels not lower end. Your Vaquero is good to 20k psi so a standard pressure load of 9.5 grains of Unique would give excellent results. At the max standard pressure, 14k psi, Unique is cleaner and very consistent.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyFlake View Post
    For me and my Taylor/Uberti Smoke Wagon 4 3/4" .45 Colt, the best and most accurate loads are:

5.5gn of Trail Boss under a Oregon Trail Cast 250gn RNFP

and

7.5gn of Unique under the same as above bullet.
    I also love the Oregon Trail bullets. I've recently tried some 200 gr and 250 gr from Badman Bullets. They are very similar designs with the Badman being a bit less expensive. I also like the lube used on the Badman bullets as it will work with both black powder and smokeless.
    Joe

Boolit Master
    Straight COWW 454190s with 8.2 grains of Unique in my 1920ish Colt SAA artillery model.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

The .45 Colt is loads of fun, no doubt about it.
    I use 255 grain RNFP boolits and 8 grains of Unique. I keep some loaded up with Trail Boss for a light plinking load when the wife goes with me to the range.
    Life is a series of bullseyes and backstraps - Ted Nugent