Inline FabricationRepackboxSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingWidenersRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Lee Precision Load Data
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Anyone wanna go in on 80 tons of lead? lol

Banned

Contact the Foundry in Johnson City TN, they have a contractor who will deliver it for a decent price to his foundry, he can melt it for you and put it in the shape you want for a decent price. (cheaper since you're poviding the lead and shipping and pick up from his place)

then just "ship it out"

I think last I was quoted was around $400 for delivery of 6 tons to my house (I live about an hour away), it may be cheaper the more you have delivered.

IF it's pure lead or something we could use. Wonder if it contains zinc or other stuff we don't want.

Anyone get a definite answer on what "mutilation" is required?

Banned

Heck you buy it for $300 and then just haul it to a scrap yard and get scrap wt for all you can't carry home.

Quote Originally Posted by Blammer View Post
    Heck you buy it for $300 and then just haul it to a scrap yard and get scrap wt for all you can't carry home.
    Ok so someone needs to have his hanf slapped for raising it. Lol completely kidding. However if you guys manage to get it i bet myself and a lot of others on here would surely jump on that deal to get some.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
    Change? Not this type. Can we just have a refund?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by bowfin View Post
    Fellas, if I were rich...

...I wouldn't be so for long...
    Which is why so few people are rich. They ain't normal!

Bill

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash Corrigan View Post
    .... and I expect a reply by 2014.....
    Gotta love an optimist!

Bill

Boolit Master
    Figure about 25 cents per pound just in the shipping alone. I don't know what this gov lead usually sells for but if you had to ship it any distance you'd have to get a good deal on the auction part like 10 cents or less per pound.

I had 6 trucks of equipment moved from very near there to New Mexico and it cost $36000 and didn't weight near 80ton.

Best would be to get storage nearby and repackage into 58# MFR boxes then you only have to pay 20 cents per pound 1 time instead of twice. I'm going on the assumption that the bricks lend themselves to this with minimum rework like cutting with a bandsaw. From the pics it looks most will fit in MFR.

If I had $50,000 and I could get it to my door for that. That's how I'd bid on it. That would be a good deal to me 31 cents per #.

If each person was in for minimum 500# + $100 MFR shipping + some handling fee..............what's it worth per pound to you?

Or 62 people in for 2500#, each one gets a crate and ships it to himself with Consolidated or whoever.
    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. -- H.L. Mencken

The notion that a radical is one who hates his country is naïve and usually idiotic. He is, more likely, one who likes his country more than the rest of us, and is thus more disturbed than the rest of us when he sees it debauched. He is not a bad citizen turning to crime; he is a good citizen driven to despair.― H.L. Mencken

Boolit Master

Would a couple of wacks with a 3 lb hammer be enough to mutilate an ingot?

Get a torch melt the #s off off the chunks probably all that is needed

Boolit Master

Grover Beach, CA. just ahead of Pismo Beach
    I'm betting the Chinese buy it. A friend with a trap range had it mined. Ended up with 40 55 gal drums of shot. The Chinese offered him a $1.00 a pound right out of the ground with out cleaning.

Carl

Boolit Master

This could work out. We need to pool our resources together and get this 80 tons of lead shipped to the foundry mentioned earlier (TE?) and melted down into ingots.

Then we get it packaged into packages that weigh less than 70 lbs and ship it to ourselves all over the country.

The mutiliation question has been answered by the auction people as follows:

"Items offered for sale as “scrap” that require mutilation must be totally
    destroyed and must be rendered useless beyond the possibility of restoration.
    For example, items would need to be cut, melted or shredded. Buyer agrees to
    allow US Government personnel to also witness the mutilation of property. GL
    personnel, in their sole discretion, shall determine whether or not mutilation
    has been accomplished in accordance with GL’s Terms and Conditions."

That is right from the horses mouth. The DOD guy or gal would have to go to our foundry and witness the melting of the alloy into ingots that would not be able to be used for the original purpose for the lead.

All we need now if for someone to figure out the costs involved, assemble the investors and do the deed. Any volunteers?
    Pax Nobiscum Dan (Crash) Corrigan

Currently casting, reloading and shooting: 223 Rem, 6.5x55 Sweede, 30 Carbine, 30-06 Springfield, 30-30 WCF, 303 Brit., 7.62x39, 7.92x57 Mauser, .32 Long, 32 H&R Mag, 327 Fed Mag, 380 ACP. 9x19, 38 Spcl, 357 Mag, 38-55 Win, 41 Mag, 44 Spcl., 44 Mag, 45 Colt, 45 ACP, 454 Casull, 457 RB for ROA and 50-90 Sharps. Shooting .22 LR & 12 Gauge seldom and buying ammo for same.

Boolit Bub
    Well there are foundries near the location, if this has any teeth someone could contact them and see if they'd provide transportation and recasting services. it's a 4 hour trip each way for me but I'd be willing to try and package up the ingots and ship them out once the mutilation and casting was completed. Might take me a few days to move that much, lol. Don't know how foundries work but they could potentiall get a slice of the raw lead as partial payment to cut on out of pocket costs.....

I dunno..

the USPS people would be pissed.

Boolit Master

Tired DOD Inspector

Quote Originally Posted by lwknight View Post
    What the hay needs mutilating?
    Looks like a bunch of misc. ingots to me.
    I bet the inspector would get tired of watching the 12" dutch oven pot mutilating 158,000 pounds of lead and just sign off on it anyway.
    Lets see: A govmn't employee hanging out with this great bunch o-folks signing off on smelted lead ingots. I don't think that inspector would overlook a bit, maybe even re-inspect the dross to be sure. This may take more than one weekend.

I have a week's vacation coming up next month. If we can get this project organized, I would be happy to spend some time in Portsmouth for the group.

DRNurse1

Education is one thing you can give away freely while suffering no personal loss and likely increasing one's own knowledge.

Properly vetted source information prevents GIGO, the scourge of the internet.

Boolit Bub
    lol we could set up in a storage unit or two for the smelting..... just leave the dross for the storage wars people

Quote Originally Posted by spuddicus View Post
    lol we could set up in a storage unit or two for the smelting..... just leave the dross for the storage wars people
    Yeah, and we could use the idiots from Shipping Wars to transport it.

"Duh, 80 tons of lead...I can fit that in my horse trailer...I'll bid $500. delivered to the left coast."

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch-1 View Post
    Yeah, and we could use the idiots from Shipping Wars to transport it.

"Duh, 80 tons of lead...I can fit that in my horse trailer...I'll bid $500. delivered to the left coast."
    Doubtless 80 tons of lead would fit into a horse trailer, but there might be a problem towing it once loaded...

Quote Originally Posted by I'll Make Mine View Post
    Doubtless 80 tons of lead would fit into a horse trailer, but there might be a problem towing it once loaded...
    If you have ever watched that show it doesn't matter to them.

As a group we would need to determine a max bid and someone would have to sign up to bid.

Maybe need money down to participate in the buy?

Need people to secure truckng and a foundry etc.

Is the material usable for boolits?

Probally have to get moving on some of these items and there is more to consider too I suppose.

I doubt if it would go for a steal but you never know.. I can dream
    Oh great, another thread that makes me spend money.

I'm a few hours away from there. I have a 3/4-ton pickup truck. If it makes financial sense, then I'm in, too.
    "San Francisco Liberal With A Gun"
    http://www.sanfranciscoliberalwithagun.com/
    http://www.liberalsguncorner.com/ (podcast)
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    .38 Spl, .357 Mag, .44 Spl/Mag, .45 Colt, and .22LR
    A true Liberal must by definition support the entire Constitution, and thus also the 2A, 100%. Any other position is inconsistent with liberalism.

Boolit Grand Master

It's most likely going to go for a price higher than worthwhile. Large lots like that typically go for a few cents below current scrap prices. Add in the cost of shipping/refining and you're up there in total cost. The base by me consistently has lots of fired brass. They never sell at a good price.

Brought to you by TapaTalk.