RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLoad Data
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Anyone wanna go in on 80 tons of lead? lol

Boolit Master

Every time something like this comes up, I go to the site and do a little speculating how it could be handled. I can't help myself. I've got at least 2 tons stashed away in various alloys(mostly coww) and it is doubtful that I will run out before my time runs out, but after years of scrounging, it is hard to stop dreaming.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Master

I sent in a question as to what mutiliation is required to satisfy the DOD and I expect a reply by 2014.....
    Pax Nobiscum Dan (Crash) Corrigan

Currently casting, reloading and shooting: 223 Rem, 6.5x55 Sweede, 30 Carbine, 30-06 Springfield, 30-30 WCF, 303 Brit., 7.62x39, 7.92x57 Mauser, .32 Long, 32 H&R Mag, 327 Fed Mag, 380 ACP. 9x19, 38 Spcl, 357 Mag, 38-55 Win, 41 Mag, 44 Spcl., 44 Mag, 45 Colt, 45 ACP, 454 Casull, 457 RB for ROA and 50-90 Sharps. Shooting .22 LR & 12 Gauge seldom and buying ammo for same.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by mac60 View Post
    20 tons is about right. Your gross wgt. can't exceed 80,000 lbs. 12k on the steering axle, 34k on the drive wheels and 34k on the trailer tandems. Trailers with axles spread 10 ft. apart can go up to 40k on the trailer tandems (that doesn't change the gross requirements of 80,000 - so if you went 40k on the trailer tandems, the difference of 6,000 would have to come off somewhere else, probably the drive wheels). Some carriers can get exemptions. If you're overweight going over the scales the fine you pay in effect becomes your overweight permit. I haul compressed gas cylinders and on my particular trailer (it's a 10 on 2 spread axle) my payload limit is 44,500 lbs. So you're probably looking at 4 loads (depending on how you load it - could be more than 4)

Mac, if you only hauled helium, you could carry a lot more tanks!
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by alamogunr View Post
    Every time something like this comes up, I go to the site and do a little speculating how it could be handled. I can't help myself. I've got at least 2 tons stashed away in various alloys(mostly coww) and it is doubtful that I will run out before my time runs out, but after years of scrounging, it is hard to stop dreaming.
    It aint dreaming if we could get organized and make it hap'm cap'm. If we could get even 1/10th of the board moving in one direction we would all come out ahead I think.
    Oh well, it probably is dreaming, but its good to dream in lead.
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Boolit Master
    Not sure what I can do or how to do, but I'd like a piece of that HEEP!

Does anyone know exactly what alloy?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    Mac, if you only hauled helium, you could carry a lot more tanks!
    I've been curious about that myself. I've never had it explained to me, but an empty cyl. weighs less than a full one - so the gas does weigh something (there's no liquid at all in a high pressure cyl. - it's pumped and used as a gas) - weird huh?

If y'all need a driver I volunteer my services (you can pay me in lead)
    So many guns, so little time

You must pay for everything in this life - nothing is free, except for the grace of God.

"Free cheese only comes in a mousetrap"

Boolit Buddy
    That would be the mother load haul of lead for sure and I would love a piece of that action. I have been trying to find a scrap keel thinking that would be huge. I was wrong!
    NRA certified pistol instructor & RSO.

Boolit Master
    Helium may not be liquid in those cylinders but it is compressed which increases its density, which by definition reduces buoyancy. Compress the gas enough and it weighs more then the air around the cylinder and then you see the weight of the gas register on the scale.

Now, about this lead... I'm thinking you folks who own & operate 18 wheelers are in the best position to make this happen. Each driver hauls as many loads as he can and does what he likes with what he hauls. Naturally, the rest of us would like to purchase your excess for a price that hopefully is below spot price but still compensates you for your service.

Interstate rules allows me to haul 13280lb on the stear axel 34 k on my drives and 44 k on my tri axel trailer. With a empty weight of 32k truck and trailer and a gross rolling weight of 80k. That gives about 24 ton on the load this is with my rig and there not all the same.

you would need 3 trucks to legally do this haul

Boolit Buddy
    The REPUBLIC of TEXAS The state most likely to succeed
    Yea we could ship it USPS for only $30,000
    ha ha ha
    BB
    Keep your powder dry....blackbike
    :takinWiz:

Boolit Master
    Is that using FRBs? The poor mail man!

Boolit Master
    WOW! What a find. Just like everything else it comes to $$$s.

1) What constitutes mutilitation - is a waver possible? This alone could sink the deal as it could literally take a year to do this by hand.

2) Transport is going to be a bear! Although, it seems that there are a number of big rig operators on the forum. Getting the required rigs there at the same time may also be a problem.

3) What about loading/unloading? Is there a forklift or crane onsite that can load these? Same for the off load - wherever that may be.

4) Breaking this down into lots and shipping to those in the GB is also going to be a Hurculian task. Too much for a flat rate box LOL! These would have to be boxed up and strapped to a shipping crate. U-Ship anybody??? (I do NOT want Jerid shipping this - maybe the hottie cowgirl???

5) And, what is the alloy? Is it a consistant alloy?

Someone has sent a question to the .gov on the mutilation issue. This as a contracted organization so I'd expect an answer withing a couple of business days.

OK, that's what I got for now.

Boolit Master

Wow weekend of smelting and a truck load of wood chips

Mr Good Steel:

This sounds like a great weekend project for the Cast Boolits Group Buy Crew. 80 folks and a truck each would make short work of this project. Buy and smelt on site into ingots should deface it sufficiently, load a ton each into your truck and head on home. How much beer would it take to get a crew and equipmet to Portsmouth, VA ????

DRNurse1

Quote Originally Posted by goodsteel View Post
    Opening bid is $150. If we got enough members together on this, we could hook up our folks for a very long time!

DRNurse1

Education is one thing you can give away freely while suffering no personal loss and likely increasing one's own knowledge.

Properly vetted source information prevents GIGO, the scourge of the internet.

Boolit Buddy

Approximately 62 crates would be around 1.28 tons per crate. Although some of the crates look larger than others in the photo given.

With DOD and DLA mutilation means to alter the item so that it cannot be used as originally intended. This could be as little as removing serial numbers, to drilling an additional hole or cutting an item into two pieces. I can't tell for sure in the photo's given, but in one photo (with the plastic wrap) it appears to be large blocks maybe like ballast weights for machinery??? DLA and DRMO usually have an inspector on location to insure adhearence to whatever guidlines.

The only thing that confuses me, is that usually if an item is to be sold off as scrap at a government installation, and the Shop Project Order of an end item says it has restrictions at the DRMO process that the item cannot be used as originally intended when sold as scrap, the installation usually performs whatever is needed to prevent the original intended use. For instance.... if you have a Cummins 6V53T engine block that is out of dimension within the cylender sleeve bores, then before it can be scrapped and sent to DRMO, a large hole that cannot be repaired is cut in the block. This may not be true at all installations, but has been for the ones I have worked at and especially at DEPOT level.

Smitty
    Last edited by Smitty's Retired; 10-05-2012 at 02:55 AM.
    One of the greatist delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation.- Thomas Reed (1886)
    "The Democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give it to those who would not."-Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Grand Master

Well, we've got two weeks to figure it out. Still not a single bid on all that lead.
    I would love to jump in there and get this going, but I have no facility to store it, I don't know anybody with trucks, It would cost a few thousand $$$ to get this stuff hauled off, but think about it! We could sell it here on cast boolits for .75 per lb and make $118,875.00.
    I think that would offset the cost of the shipping just a touch, it would also make a good profit for the site. This has good idea written all over it.
    So its expensive, so what? If it pays off then its worth it.
    Of course, I say this and sure as shootin, some investor will swoop in and slap down a $50,000 bid at the last moment.
    I'm going to be really sick if that ends up being shoved off the dock because nobody could afford to buy it.
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Boolit Master

Well, don't forget, they can't just bury it or drop it into the sea (at least not in territorial waters) -- it's lead, it's toxic, it's hazardous waste. If it doesn't sell, they'll have to do something to make it sell, or pay a huge amount to remediate it.

Like you said, Tim, the most likely thing is some investor who owns a bucket loader and one or more 18 wheelers will probably put in a bid at 10 cents a pound at the last minute. It does look as if they'd let an established operator haul it before mutilating (he might have to pay expenses for the DOD inspector to come to his facility and witness the mutilation in that case) -- which might make it right up Rotometal's alley.

If we had 100 people put in $200.00 each that would be $20,000.00. I live about 4 hrs away and would be happy to drive down and get a thousand pounds and help with mutilation. I would take more but I only have a half ton PU.

Also, If anyone has accesss to a pile drive or a LARGE roller, they migh work for mutilation.

With 100 people at $200.00 per person that would give each person 1585 lbs. At the going rate of about $1.00 a pound that's a saving of just under $1400.00.

Somebody double check my math. Taht just DON'T seem right.

Boolit Grand Master
    Many years ago, a friend gave me a 50 lb. brick of lead that was ballast from a boomer sub. There was a federal stock number stamped in the broadside of the block. From the photo, it appears to be in bricks. I wonder if that's what this lead is. If so, that would explain the requirement of mutilation, to destroy that number.

Boolit Bub
    I'd definitly be in to spend some $ on this. Alabama is a bit far from NC but I could make the drive to get my share...

Boolit Master
    What the hay needs mutilating?
    Looks like a bunch of misc. ingots to me.
    I bet the inspector would get tired of watching the 12" dutch oven pot mutilating 158,000 pounds of lead and just sign off on it anyway.
    Sent from my PC with a keyboard and camera on it with internet too.
    Melting Stuff is FUN!
    Shooting stuff is even funner

L W Knight

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast