Load DataWidenersInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingRepackboxLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Need a low recoil load for 500 S&W Lee 440

Quote Originally Posted by dubber123 View Post
    With the weight of the 500 pistols, you should be able to get a plinker load. My brother fiddled with Trailboss powder, which works great in large capacity cases. Accuracy didn't equal the full power loads, but was adequate for general plinking/fooling around. The formula for Trailboss in straight wall cases is: Fill a case to where the base of a bullet will be, and weigh the charge, 70% of this weight is your start charge. Just never compress Trailboss, they say it changes the burn rate dramatically. It's a very clean, easy to ignite powder.
    You are kidding aren't you about getting low recoil reloads from a S&W 500(no such animal)??? I just read an article by John Ross on another forum about reloading 500s with Titegroup and the detentions that are posted on the internet.
    Steve
    "The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson."
    Life member NRA, USPSA, ISRA
    Life member AF&AM 294

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by S.B. View Post
    You are kidding aren't you about getting low recoil reloads from a S&W 500(no such animal)??? I just read an article by John Ross on another forum about reloading 500s with Titegroup and the detentions that are posted on the internet.
    Steve
    After 6 years, I guess it might be interesting to know what the OP eventually tried and whether it was acceptable...
    Live fast, die young, leave a cute widow...

Boolit Master

I used trailboss, about 10 grains over a 440 grain bullet. Worked very well. Recoil was mild.

Quote Originally Posted by grumman581 View Post
    After 6 years, I guess it might be interesting to know what the OP eventually tried and whether it was acceptable...

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by happy7 View Post
    I used trailboss, about 10 grains over a 440 grain bullet. Worked very well. Recoil was mild.
    And what was your uncle's impression of it? He should be about 81 now, right? Does he still shoot with you?
    Live fast, die young, leave a cute widow...

Boolit Master

He was just visiting. He lives a days drive away and his health does not allow him to visit anymore. He enjoyed shooting it at the time. Recoil was not at all excessive for him.

Boolit Mold
    Hey guys, please help me out here. I fired my 500 mag for the first time a couple of days ago. I am using the Lee 440 gr cast bullet with gas check, and 10.0 gr Trail Boss. I got ready for a big recoil, and was a little disappointed to get less kick than my Springfield XDs in 45 ACP 230 gr with 5.7 gr Bullseye and 6.5 gr Unique. The case is only half full. Is 10.0 gr Bulleye the max? I don't want to harm my new gun, but a little more kick might increase the fun. Any advice/experience is welcome, please.

Boolit Buddy
    I wouldn’t use any of the powders you’ve listed, cause they are too fast and you probably won’t be able to visually notice double or even a triple charge. If you want “safe” oomph you need to go with slower powders: H110, AA#4100, Enforcer, Alliant 300-MP, some rifle powders like CFE BLK by hodgdon

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

I have been playing with 10-11gr of Tightgroup in my 500 Linebaugh. Getting around 1,000 fps with 350 gr and just under that with 500 gr pills. Both powder coated hard cast. Still struggling with the 350's, but the 500's are quite accurate and pleasant to shoot.

I anticipated TG to be the last powder to use in a magnum, but the load was given to me by a seasoned Linebaugh fan, and darn if it doesn't shoot.

Boolit Buddy
    Found a thread from 2018 by a 500 Mag expert with similar topic (mild loads). Good info.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrounger View Post
    Please don't take this as a personal criticizm but I have never come to close to understanding the reasoning for taking a honking big caliber like .44 mag or .500 S&W or any one of a dozen others and loading it down like a .38 wadcutter to shoot. It's like getting a tractor and 53 foot trailer to cruise around the neighborhood or go to the 7-11 in it. When you don't want/need all that power, why not just plink with a .22 or 9mm or something like that. I know you can do what you want, I'm just trying to understand the reasoning...
    Well if you had read the op he has a 75 year old uncle that wants to shoot it. I never understand people that don't read the post but think they have the right to talk down to them. Or are you one of those just trying to get your post count higher

Sent from my SM-T377V using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123