RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLoad Data
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyWideners
Repackbox Reloading Everything
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Why not anymore 35 Rem bolt guns?

Tried my soft 50/50 alloy ac and quenched also straight WW with some pewter both ac and quenched still no joy gotta be that unsupported nose on it me thinks , I did experiment a few yrs ago and bumped (squished) the nose till it was .350 and they shot a lot better even killed a doe with one that year . Maybe they were designed with that small nose for good feeding /chambering in the semi model 8 and 81 ?
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Probably so. The Lyman handbook describes it as being for the .35 Remington, and the 8 and 81 were back then the primary rifles that used it. They weren't Microgrooved, of course. The taller and wider lands would have supported the nose better. I've had a .357 Maximum Contender for some years now. That has Ballard rifling, but only 12" of barrel. Frankly, I hate the gun, so haven't tried this bullet in it.
    Cognitive Dissident

Super Moderator

...............I built a 35 Rem on a 1894 (FN made) Brazilian contract SR Mauser action many years ago..................

IIRC I 'think' that was a Ramline plastic stock that was on sale for $39 (don't remember who) but I do remember it was $39 Stuck a Remington 700 front sight base on it. No mods required to the extractor, ejector, or bolt face. It fed without a problem.

4 loads with 35 Rem using Rem 200 gr C-L jacketed ..............................3 light loads in the 35 Rem. Info shown on targets. All groups fired at 50 yards.
    I'm at my Dad's in Pima, AZ and don't have access to my load data for further load info. The above is off my Fototime page. A fantastic cast slug for the 35 Rem is the Saeco #356. It's a 200 gr FNGC, and works a treat in the 35 Rem (Or a Ruger 357 Mag for that matter!

I had the rifle built during the time we lived on 20 acres in the boonies. Those 38 cal cast slugs were great fun and instant death on ground squirrels, and pretty quiet out of the 20" bbl. I still have the rifle, but it's been ages since I've shot it.

................Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Thanks for posting buckshot, I remember seeing your posts on that rifle a few years back always liked it , 2300+fps ain't too shabby with a 200 gr jacketed bullet in a 20" barrel �� 41 gr is about the limit of case capacity even with ball powder
    Last edited by RU shooter; 12-25-2018 at 11:46 AM.

Banned
    Don't forget the bullet companies aren't making new bullets for it. Hornady yes, but how many others have released a new bullet in this caliber in the last 20 years?

Cuz they got it right from the very beginning the ole 200 gr RN ! Lol been killin stuff dead since 1908 .

Quote Originally Posted by RU shooter View Post
    Cuz they got it right from the very beginning the ole 200 gr RN ! Lol been killin stuff dead since 1908 .
    And if it would fit in an AR15 mag it would inspire awe!
    Really I think it still outsells a lot of modern cartridges.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    A 35 solcom would bring 35 cal bullets back from the dead. Probably be as fast as a hot 35 rem pushing 2350/2400 fps.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    And if it would fit in an AR15 mag it would inspire awe.
    I think the 35 Grendel is about as close as it's gonna get

Quote Originally Posted by RU shooter View Post
    Including, if the legends are to be believed, Bonnie and Clyde.
    Cognitive Dissident

Banned
    Nope that was a 30 Remington.

What are there none ? Probably because there are the 358 Win and 35 Whelen of one want a 35 caliber bolt gun which leads to another question ---- why them when there are the 9.3x57/62/64/370 SAKO all of which fill the need for a medium bore ?

Brownells does sell a short chambered Mauser bbl in 35 Rem, that would be an easy build.

Actually Frank Hamer and company went to the LGS as soon as they heard they had a shipment of M8 Remingtons. Frank bought a .25 Rem that day and that MAY be what he used for the ambush. It is known that afterward he was given an engraved .35 Rem as a gift from his men.
    The fact of the matter is that the average Joe Hunter won't buy a bigger than 30 caliber bolt action rifle. That's why the .338 Federal failed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

WW1 made the .30-06 and the Springfield '03 the paradigm for bolt actions in America for fifty years. If you recognize the .308 as just a .30-06 with the unnecessary airspace removed, it still is the paradigm. Millions of hunters over the decades haven't been able to think beyond the confines of that box.
    Cognitive Dissident

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Actually Frank Hamer and company went to the LGS as soon as they heard they had a shipment of M8 Remingtons. Frank bought a .25 Rem that day and that MAY be what he used for the ambush. It is known that afterward he was given an engraved .35 Rem as a gift from his men.
    The fact of the matter is that the average Joe Hunter won't buy a bigger than 30 caliber bolt action rifle. That's why the .338 Federal failed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

338 federal had more recoil then most wanted, .300 win has more recoil then people want. Hence the "rifle, used, .300 win 18 rounds of ammunition" is a popular joke.

The trend is for lighter and lighter rifles, kind of hurts the shooter a lot. Sure the gun writers claim that say perhaps a mauser or garand are too big and heavy and bulky to carry out hunting, but when these same writers start using rifles that weigh 6-6.5 pounds WITH A SCOPE, with full power 150 grain + 30-06,

they start tossing on shoulder pads, recoil pads, muzzle brakes to help tame that recoil.

Boolit Master and Dean of Balls

funny the .338 federal got a mention here. when i bought a kimber montana 2 years ago my first choice would have been the .338 federal and a 2nd choice would have been the .358 winchester.

sadly kimber chambers neither anymore. so i got a .308

truth be told, the main reason i want the larger calibers is how well they play with CBs.

i'm sitting on a small ring action. i'm putzing around with a 7mm mauser right now. my savage 99 featherweight needs a new magazine spring.

eventually i'll get around to making a 20" barreled little scout rifle out of it. ive thought about the .35 remington but in actuality a 9.3 x 57 wouldn't require any magazine mods and be a hell of a little thumper
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodore Roosevelt
    No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it.

Boolit Master

If someone made an affordable 35 Rem AR platform it would zoom in popularity and gun writers would be falling over themselves to boast about the ballistic advantages.

Then cans would be made for 35.

Then guys would demand bolt action 35's they could use the cans on both guns.
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.

Banned
    A 338 Fed AR platform is made and the performance is by any measure superior to a 35 Rem. 35 Rem is a nice old cartridge and fine with cast like the 32-40 and others of that ilk. I like my 375 win, aka 38-55 for cast too.

Boolit Master
    CrankyCalico;
    If you’re hunting railroad ties, that’s fine; use a .30/30.
    But, for shooting deer or black bear, the .35 is head and shoulders better.

I love the .35 Remington. But I'd love to have a .350 Remington, especially for black powder.

Quote Originally Posted by HangFireW8 View Post
    If someone made an affordable 35 Rem AR platform it would zoom in popularity and gun writers would be falling over themselves to boast about the ballistic advantages.

Then cans would be made for 35.

Then guys would demand bolt action 35's they could use the cans on both guns.
    LOL! You certainly got that right !
    Cognitive Dissident

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast