Titan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
PBcastcoRepackboxLee PrecisionLoad Data
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Lyman 45 buying guide and cleanup instructions

Boolit Buddy
    Here is a link to a video showing the thread pitch gauge and how it works.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gdvtw0pTAOs

I won't bother linking to where to buy. Just Google "thread pitch gauge" or something close to that and you'll find tons of them. Prices ranging from a $7 unit from Sears/Craftsman up to $50+ units from Mitituyo and Starett etc... It really is quite the handy tool if you do much of this kind of work oldtoolsniper. Hope this helps....any more info needed just ask.

As for the label measurements I can provide them for you when it arrives if you want them. JonB needs to get it shipped to it's excited new owner.

UM,

Jon and I have done business he is a fast shipper and straight up to deal with. I can't find an example of that white sticker on any 45 I can locate pictures of. Of course my search has gone in about 40 different directions with each picture I find.

I also have not found reference to anyone making reproduction stickers for lymans.
    “Work hard! Millions on welfare depend on it!”

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by oldtoolsniper View Post
    UM,

Jon and I have done business he is a fast shipper and straight up to deal with. I can't find an example of that white sticker on any 45 I can locate pictures of. Of course my search has gone in about 40 different directions with each picture I find.

I also have not found reference to anyone making reproduction stickers for lymans.
    I've dealt with Jon as well OTS...that was just a little good natured ribbing on my part. I'll post some measurements and whatever else you need when the 45 arrives.

Moderator Emeritus

when fryboy sees all this Lyman45 activity, he might chime in on some label details...I think he told me that he has a white labeled unit.
    Jon

PS, ultramag the Box has shipped !
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Well heres a couple pics of mine cleaned up, didnt like the bluing might have to take it apart and try something different... someday right now it works great!!!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	45-5.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	68.7 KB 
ID:	63801Click image for larger version. 

Name:	45-1.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	64.6 KB 
ID:	63802Click image for larger version. 

Name:	45-2.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	48.4 KB 
ID:	63803Click image for larger version. 

Name:	45-3.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	59.0 KB 
ID:	63804Click image for larger version. 

Name:	45-4.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	58.8 KB 
ID:	63805

Mine will be here on teusday. I got it with 4 dies for $80. I am also getting 2 scales too.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lyman-45.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	29.8 KB 
ID:	64433

It got here early. woot woot. It is all pulled down now and I am covered in old as dirt black sticky lube but almost ready to strip it to bear metal. Is it sacrilegious to paint a color of my picking? I do not see this leaving me before I die.
    The best part was I got both a .357 and .311 die with it. I also got .257 and .429, hold them till later.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Raven_Darkcloud View Post
    Is it sacrilegious to paint a color of my picking?
    While I do like the original color, I say paint it the color you like best, you'll be the one looking at it for hours on end while sizing boolits
    Jon
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”

I am thinking of getting one nickle plated. One thing I like about reloading tools is that folks don't freak out when you clean one up so it can be used. I get a lot of grief from wood working tool collectors because I tear em down and restore them. They seem to like patina (rust and grime) on their tools. Funny when you put one of mine restored, next to one of theirs, covered in "patina" mine sells first, and higher... I buy tools to use. We have two museums in town already.

Moderator Emeritus

Nickel plated...Yeah !
    would you polish the cast iron pieces so they don't have the mold bumps and/or course grind marks ?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I am not sure what is required but I am going to visit a guy who has been restoring the ornate coal stoves for 30 plus years. He did a bunch of work for my brother and does a first rate job of plating and recasting stove parts. I also have to see if it will add enough thickness to interfere with the die.

Thanks guys, I have it all cleaned up just need to strip the old paint and start the repaint and blue job. I will be powder coating it just need to decide what color.

Make sure to plug the die hole. I did not and paint alone was thick enough to prevent the die from seating, a q-tip and acetone cleaned it up. Powder coating would be a whole lot bigger problem to remove.

Boolit Buddy snake river marksman's Avatar
    I wonder if, instead of bluing the parts, you could parkerize them. I know it's not original but it would hold up better than bluing.

Well the weather is behaving odd. Got cold again so I will wait till a bit more towards summer to pc it. I will use it as is till then. My kids said to go with the Oregon duck's green, So I have to order the powder from prismatic powders. I did some blueing already, and still need a replacement spring. Have you guys just been using springs from hardware store?

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Raven_Darkcloud View Post
    and still need a replacement spring. Have you guys just been using springs from hardware store?
    When I designed the heavy duty handle replacement kit, I spent $100 "online" on spring samples to find one that'd work with a heavier handle. I also found one that will work with the original handle. Because, I couldn't find one at a local hardware store or auto parts store that'd work. Send me a PM if you are interested in buying one.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Boolit Mold
    Hey guys,

I am new to this forum and boolit casting and sizing. Except for round balls. Anyway, I picked up and old Lyman 45 from Ebay. Paid too much for it, 120 bucks, but it came with 14 dies, 4 of which I need, so I really cant complain. I have refinished the castings, made some new slide rods out of stainless, made new 10x36 knurled screws, and replaced the 1/4x28 die holder set screw with a homemade screw with a flappy handle so you dont need an allen wrench. Reblued all of the parts, except for the slide rods. Since I have a lathe and more time than money, I was going to machine a new pressure nut (piston). I was going to make the new style with the orings. If anyone has the dimensions of the new style pressure nut and o-ring sizes, I sure would appreciate it. Is it aluminum, bronze or steel?Also, the return spring that came on this thing is evidently the wrong one. It is about 1/2" inch in diameter and drags on the castings. I could wind a new spring if I had those dimensions too. Hey, I know, for a new guy I am asking a lot..I know that the parts are only about 20 bucks with shipping. But, What can I say...I'm cheap, and Uhhhh, on a fixed income?..

Thanks,
    Bill

Boolit Master
    seated with Him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus (Eph 2:6)
    hey oldskeeter, welcome from another nube... if nobody posts the info then when i get home tonight from slaving in the salt mines i will take the pressure nut out of my 45 and measure for you... one thing i know for sure is that the threads are "opposite"! by that i mean you need to ratchet the shaft counter clockwise for the nut to go down... i don't really know if the threads are opposite or i am just opposite but it was backwards from what i thought!

Moderator Emeritus

oldskeetshooter, welcome to the best cast boolit website.
    I'd love to see photos of your press. I don't think you paid too much since you got all those Dies

I don't have a new style pressure nut (steel) that's out of the press, otherwise I could help you out. I actually like the old style "brass ring sleeve" type better. Besides that fact that the o-rings need ocasional replacement, the small ribbon of lube that leaks out of the old style is a good indicator (if it grows large) of too much pressure or too much heat.
    Good Luck,
    Jon
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Boolit Mold
    Hey guys,

I really appreciate it. The old piston is ? at best. It has severe scratches and pitting. I was going to try to dress it down until smooth but I am concerned that if I take off .005 then the gap will increase .015 more. I dont know if that would cause too much leakage. The gapped piston is a good design, as it allows air to escape when replacing the lube sticks. I may figure out a way to make a pressure escape valve in the top of the new designed piston to allow air to escape. The threaded rod is 3/8 x20 RH and is in pretty good shape. I dont have a 3/8 by 20 tap so I would have to cut the internal threads, on the piston, with a lathe. The tube, or reservoir, is in great shape. After I boiled the main casting for cleaning, I just hit the tube with some uhhh, shall we say, refrigerant and it came loose by hand. I was dreading that, but it became a simple job. BTW. The threads, are the same as a tail piece for a commercial lavatory drain. Wonder how the tube would look in chrome? The good news is, my old Lee production pot still works after sitting up for 25 years. As we say in the south "I'm rarin' to get started".

Thanks again,
    Bill

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast