Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingLoad DataWideners
Inline FabricationRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Georgia range gets liquor liscence

That reminds me of a combination liquor and gun store in the San Diego area, Hiram’s Guns and Spirits, or something like that. A sign there proudly proclaimed “Hiram’s has never been robbed”.

Boolit Grand Master

Goofy!
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wis. Tom View Post
    I feel it is just one more thing that could go wrong, as policing people shooting at the range is already hard enough. We were just at the public outdoor range the other day and watched two hearty souls from Illinois, tipping a few while shooting. Quite innocent at first, until the .338 Lapua they were shooting, jammed. I watched in amazement, as they unscrewed their antenna on their SUV, shoved it down the barrel, and started to bang a $2500 gun on the cement, with a live round stuck in it. We were up at the pistol range, watching from afar, but that was enough for me, as there is no attendant at this range, and I decided, after watching them, that they were better off left alone, than me confronting them. Rules are great, if followed, but that is not always human nature.
    For personal safety probably best to stay away, for everyone elses' safety call LE when they are leaving the range.

Yeah I feel the flames already. But be honest with yourselves they have been drinking and have a loaded gun(s).

How do you know they're loaded?
    R.M.

The tree of liberty must be watered periodically with the blood of tyrants and patriots alike..........Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by R.M. View Post
    How do you know they're loaded?
    Quote Originally Posted by Wis. Tom View Post
    and started to bang a $2500 gun on the cement, with a live round stuck in it. We were up at the pistol range, watching from afar, but that was enough for me, as there is no attendant at this range, and I decided, after watching them, that they were better off left alone, than me confronting them. Rules are great, if followed, but that is not always human nature.
    That's how.

Boolit Buddy
    Have been a member of 8 ranges in 4 states over the years. At all of them if you were drinking any type of alcohol you were expelled from the range and your membership was terminated. I would not belong to a club that allowed it. Alcohol, firearms and gunpowder do not go together.
    What this Country needs is more unemployed politicians

I feel that personal freedoms should always outweigh the need to protect an idiot. That includes the freedom to not attend this range if spirits on site make you uncomfortable.
    Is this a......what day is this??

Quote Originally Posted by Plinkster View Post
    I feel that personal freedoms should always outweigh the need to protect an idiot. That includes the freedom to not attend this range if spirits on site make you uncomfortable.
    Here, here.
    R.M.

The tree of liberty must be watered periodically with the blood of tyrants and patriots alike..........Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by ElDorado View Post
    That reminds me of a combination liquor and gun store in the San Diego area, Hiram’s Guns and Spirits, or something like that. A sign there proudly proclaimed “Hiram’s has never been robbed”.
    When I was driving from Nashville, up to Simpson County Kentucky a few months ago, there was a place called Sad Sam's Fireworks on the side of the highway. Right next to it was a gas station with a name that was something like Nervous Norman's. or Scarred Frank's or something like that. I could see why the owner of a gas station might be a little nervous or scarred if he was right next to a place selling fireworks. I guess that the zoning laws in that area must be a bit scant.
    “an armed society is a polite society.”
    Robert A. Heinlein

"Idque apud imperitos humanitas vocabatur, cum pars servitutis esset."
    Publius Tacitus

Boolit Buddy

I understand everyone's opinion here, and I agree things could be handled responsibly. But here is my thought on the matter. I do not agree with this clubs decision.

With the political climate as it is, with all the anti-gun groups backed by the anti-gun Libertards that are in Washington, and with the news media circling like buzzards, you know all it would take would be one incident, even if it was with a club member being stopped and arrested for DUI, for them to paint another unattractive incident to slander gun ownership.

I am surprised that it hasn't been picked up already and posted on the national media. I could see the headlines now "Southern Gun Club Serves Alcoholic Beverages at Shooting Range!!!"

I just believe that responsible ownership covers more than just within your home and right to carry. I think if you value your 2nd Amendment, and want to do all you can do to fight the anti-gun bunch, then we don't need to do anything to give them anymore ammo to use against us.

Just my .02 cents worth that is not worth a cent.
    One of the greatist delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation.- Thomas Reed (1886)
    "The Democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give it to those who would not."-Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Grand Master
    Guns and liquor don't go together, ever.

It isn't about rights, it is about responsibilty. I Don't think fun clubs should allow alcohol on club property. It just sends the wrong message.

Many ears ago I shot muzzleloaders a fair bit. Saw way too many people visibly drunk shooting on the line. Nobody wanted to say anything. I do not miss those days at all.

I don't drink when loading or casting either. My mind needs to be clear and focused on the task at hand.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Smitty's Retired View Post
    With the political climate as it is, with all the anti-gun groups backed by the anti-gun Libertards that are in Washington, and with the news media circling like buzzards, you know all it would take would be one incident, even if it was with a club member being stopped and arrested for DUI, for them to paint another unattractive incident to slander gun ownership.
    Here are some other possible headlines:
    Intoxicated man with loaded sniper rifle commits vehicular homicide!

Intoxicated man kills child when he shoots over impact area at local range with 338 sniper rifle!

We could do this all day.

All it takes is one idiot http://www.jsonline.com/news/waukesha/92773189.html to screw it up for everyone!
    That range had problems with the neighbors before now they are going to have a problem paying property taxes and selling the land after lead abatement.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    At the National Matches in Switzerland the beer gardens open a couple of hours before the matches. They run a couple of hundred thousand shooter through without a problem.

At least half of the trap clubs that I know of sell beer on site. That probably 70 clubs. Again no problems.

In moderation and after the guns are put away what’s the issue?
    +1. One of my favorite gun clubs (back when I was shooting competitively) had beer in the cooler. It was seldom (if ever) opened until shooting was finished. Great bunch of folks, too.

And I was a 'wet' shooter in my early days. Breakfast was a can of peaches and a glass of juice - and a can of beer. Another can mid-morning, and maybe a can at lunch. Kept the clanks down - the little man in my head who would occasionally bang on a gong, was otherwise occupied. With experience I found that I didn't need the beer, and stopped the practice.

At one match, I was having a problem with my stomach. The hamburger I had for lunch was disputing me. I mentioned it to some friends, and one (Jim Clark) said 'Ed, go look in my trunk over there. There's some Peppermint Schnaps in there. Take a good glug of that. It's the only thing that will tighten your groups, settle your stomach, and make your breath smell purty, all at the same time.'. I did, and it did.
    Last edited by Echo; 10-01-2012 at 11:16 AM.
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JIMinPHX View Post
    When I was driving from Nashville, up to Simpson County Kentucky a few months ago, there was a place called Sad Sam's Fireworks on the side of the highway. Right next to it was a gas station with a name that was something like Nervous Norman's. or Scarred Frank's or something like that. I could see why the owner of a gas station might be a little nervous or scarred if he was right next to a place selling fireworks. I guess that the zoning laws in that area must be a bit scant.
    you mean all your gas stations don't sell fire works ?

ok, not all here do either but there sure are a bunch , one stop shopping , get your fishing licenses ,bait, beer , gas and fireworks on the way up to the lake for the weekend

we have one that is a liqueur store, bait shop , boat dealer and gun shop in one , several that are gas and convenience stores with beer , bait and a gun shop.

another that is guns and hunting with saddles ,tack , hats and western ware and that is attached to the hardware store so you can get camping supplies , a grill and a new lawn mower also along with nuts and bolts
    Last edited by GREENCOUNTYPETE; 10-01-2012 at 11:45 AM.

Boolit Bub

guns and booze

Phoenix zoo started to sell beer. They had a drunk decide to "play" with the tiger as it was cute. Keepers heard the screams and got him out alive but chewed up. The next zoo drunk decided to ride the rhino with similar results. I was invited to a local trap club but when they talked about the beer available, I opted out. My opinion, keep guns and booze seperate. greg

all the guys that agree that guns and booze don't go together are not the one that I would worry about. The one I worry about are the ones that oh I can handle it and they are the same ones sweeping the range with a muzzle and a finger on the trigger. I personally would like to think if you are responsible enough to own a gun a gun and or a ccw why shouldn't we believe they are responsible enough to know when to put the gun down and pick up the beer. personally I don't like being told what to do and where and when I can do it and I thank my grandpa for fighting my freedom to choose what when and where I chose to do it. I also really enjoy a ice cold silver bullet on a real hot summer day after sending a lead bullet to their final resting place. It seems like it would be much safer to do at the club/range as opposed to on the drive home

Banned
    I know that my opinion in this matter isn't popular, but here it is. I'm a firm believer in personal responsibility. I hate excuses.

If you can't be trusted to know when you can drink, you're too young to be trusted with a weapon. Age has nothing to do with it.

The folks for whom drinking is a problem will drink regardless of whether there's a bar in the range.

And finally, I note that a true Libertarian's point of view would eliminate DUIs unless there was an accident.

I assume that everyone who is chanting "guns and alcohol don't go together" are, in keeping with good manners, speaking for themselves.
    Last edited by Jammer Six; 10-02-2012 at 03:59 PM.

Boolit Master & Generous Contributor

I do a lot of sporting clay events. Most if not all the events that I have been to serve beer, wine and the hard stuff.
    But every event that I have been to has had strict rules. No drinking before or while shooting. You get and wear an arm band when you arrive. The arm band allows you to shoot. The band is made of some type of material that the only way to get it off is to tear it off or cut it off. While the arm band is on, you are not allowed to drink. Once it is off you are allowed to drink but not shoot.
    I'm sure there are a few that get around the rules but that goes for any club. Anyone could tank up before they got there.
    If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.
    Samuel Adams

Sam

On the general subject of things that don't go together, New Hampshire lends a pretty strange example, or at least they used to. The last time that I was up that way, the only place to buy liquor was at the state owned stores. The only one that I saw was at the rest area on the Interstate...but don't drink & drive....
    “an armed society is a polite society.”
    Robert A. Heinlein

"Idque apud imperitos humanitas vocabatur, cum pars servitutis esset."
    Publius Tacitus

Quote Originally Posted by JIMinPHX View Post
    On the general subject of things that don't go together, New Hampshire lends a pretty strange example, or at least they used to. The last time that I was up that way, the only place to buy liquor was at the state owned stores. The only one that I saw was at the rest area on the Interstate...but don't drink & drive....
    now that's just funny