MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Titan ReloadingLoad DataReloading EverythingLee Precision
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2

Thread: Need help with bullet choice

Boolit Grand Master

Need help with bullet choice

I didn't know where to post this, so I threw the dart and took a chance. Staff, please move this to appropriate section, I don't really know where it belongs.

I just picked up a used H&R Handi-rifle in .223. The twist rate is 1 in 8 1/2. I looked up the Greenhill formula, but the best I can determine, that formula dictates twist rate required for bullet length, not the other way around.

I do understand that I'll need a heavy bullet for this fast twist. How do I determine the weight I need based on the length required? Right now, I'm stumped 'cause I don't know how to determine either one.

Thanks, fellas.

Boolit Master

Talking

Jim, that is not much different then a 1-9" twist that is good for bullets up to 68-69 grains.

The 75-80 grain bullets need a 1-8" twist or faster.

Hi Jim!

Lots of folks have asked this question when it comes to the Handi-Rifle in .223.
    From what I've read on line, the heavier bullets require a faster twist rate and the lighter bullets will shoot just fine in a 1-9" barrel. If you had the 1-12" I'd tell you to stay away from the heavier weights. Are you using FMJ or Cast boolits?
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Boolit Grand Master
    I would like to shoot ground hogs out to 250 yards, so I'll be using "J" bullets. (forgive me, father, for I have sinned!)

Just got off the phone with a knowledgeable friend and he suggested very long ogive 70 to 75 grain hollow point bullets. I'm beginning to understand what I need now.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    I would like to shoot ground hogs out to 250 yards, so I'll be using "J" bullets.
    Ahhhh yes. The old metalic patched projectile.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Boolit Grand Master
    Actually, if I had labeled it FLGC (full length gas check), I would not have had to repent!

Boolit Master
    I would recommend an old favorite that I know works EXTREMELY well out of a 20" 1-9 twist.

25.5g Win. 748 with a 69g FLGCHP Sierra or a 68g FLGCHP Hornady, with a O.A.L. 2.25" Fed primer or CCI BR.

EXCELLENT ole standby load!

Moderator Emeritus

I have a stevens 223 with a 1 in 9 and it groups 55 gr bullets well.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Banned

i haven't tried anything but 50-52-55 gr boolits and bullets in my 9 twist ar's.
    50 gr hornady spsx's will vaporize a rock chuck [bout the same as a ground hog]
    i swap back and forth between those and my home swaged 55's during the ground squirell/rock chuck shooting.
    the rcbs 055 sp works just fine in the ar also over 22.5 grs imr 4895. [average groups are a hair over 1-1/2" and usually stay under 1-3/4" at 100
    or swaged soft and backed down to bout 2400 fps they get flat pointed and will handle the chucks just fine [i have only shot them to bout 150 yds though]

Boolit Master

Where Pennsylvania, Delaware, and Maryland join.
    Jim

Long bullets (Heavy) won't stabilize in a slow twist barrel but short bullets (Light) will.

A fast twist barrel will stabilize longer bullets but may spin bullets so fast they will disentergrate.

Many lighter .22 caliber bullets have thinner FLGCs for good expansion on small game and if spun too fast the centrifigul force will cause the jacket to come off. The fast twist lets you use heavy bullets for better range but they will have thicker jackets so expansion on small thin skined game may be compromised.

For fun do the math and see how many RPM your bullet is actually spinning out of that fast twist barrel, you will be supprised.
    Blacksmith

S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us!

I have a Savage with a 1/9 that just dotes on 50gr Rems. Kind of odd, if I load them to touch the rifling the base of the bullet would be about 1/8" past the end of the case.
    45 AUTO! Because having to shoot someone twice is just silly!

Boolit Buddy
    I have always had good luck with 50 gr Hornady V Max bullets on groundhogs. This is even out of fast twist Savages, max range so far has been 300 yds. I also have had good luck with a max load of Varget to push it.
    Sometimes I think we make things harder than they have to be

Boolit Master

Talking

Jim, don't try any bullet heavier then 70 grains they will not stabilize. Check out what Sierra prints on the boxes of 77 and 80 grain bullets, 1x7"-8" twist barrels only.

For the distance and the twist you have look at a 55-60 grain bullets.

The Sierra 50gr "Blitz" has done well in mine. Very destructive and not too pricey. The Win 55gr bulk soft point with canelure is cheap, pretty accurate and comes apart nicely over 3000fps. 300yards a plastic point and boat tail are not needed.
    J
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen

"THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph."
    Thomas Paine