Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyInline FabricationWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionReloading EverythingLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Repackbox

Thread: #4 RB Questions

Boolit Man

#4 RB Questions

Mostly, I just read and learn on this forum, but now.....

BLUF: Does anyone reproduce breech blocks for the #4 rolling blocks?

I unexpectedly won this rolling block at auction for $200. I've read all about reloading .32 rf and converting to .32S&W short and other calibers. Since this appears to be in very good good working condition (everything still "snaps" into place) with a good+ bore, I want to keep it close to original. My thought was finding another breech block and converting it to center fire, therefore preserving the original breech block.

Your thoughts?

Best Regards,
    Ron

Last edited by rwsem; 09-08-2012 at 09:47 AM. Reason: Pics

Boolit Master
    You might try e-Mailing Ken (kgwebay@wildblue.net or info@rollingblockparts.com) and ask. They don't list them, but might have one anyway.

Ed

I simply drilled a FP hole in my original breechblock, inline with the bore C/L, and made a CF firing pin, to fire commercially-available .32 Short Colt (Winchester makes about 3 runs of it a year), w/o any other work.

So, my original breechblock has two FP holes (with only one used) - so what ?

Most folks I show the rifle to (even dealers) , never even notice............................................ ........

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Grand Master
    Ron,

If you are going to rechamber it to .32 S&W or .32 S&W Long, you might as well drill the original breechblock, because it will not work for the rimfire cartridges.

If you simply convert your brechblock or get another, the .32 Short and Long Colt will work without rechambering. If you go this route, you will need either a hollow base mold or a mold for a heeled boolit. Plus finding the correct brass is a big PITA.

The easy (and probably smartest) way to go is to get it converted to c/f and rechamber to .32 S&WL.

With all that said, I have a #2 Remington that I went with another breechblock with because the rifle is in to good of shape for me to permanently alter it. I don't know why, the only semi affordable .32 rimfire around is the nasty stuff that Navy Arms had loaded in Brazil. Save your money; the stuff splits cases, leads and goups terribly. This is a family site or I would tell you what I really think it.

Robert

Check with some of the used parts places, there were a lot of those rolling blocks made; there have to be parts somewhere.

R

Boolit Man

Thanks for the replies. I'll continue to search for another breech block to converrt to cf. I've looked at the reloading options as well for the rf cartidges but that doesn't interest me much.

Boolit Buddy
    I'm doing a project a lot like this. Find another breechblock, convert it to CF. You can shoot .32 Colt Short in the chamber with no alterations. I've found a mess of .32 Colt Long brass made from Starline .32 S&W Long. Plan to load BP and heeled boolits. There are a lot of nice .32 RF rifles out there just begging to be returned to action. Think "rook rifle."

If you're preserving the original breechblock, you need to preserve the original chamber too, no?