Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Load DataReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRepackboxWideners
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading

View Poll Results: What are your blood lead levels and has your doctor prescribed treatment?

Voters
1304. You may not vote on this poll
  • 10 mcg/dL or less

392 30.06%
  • 11 to 25 mcg/dL

106 8.13%
  • 25 to 44 mcg/dL

46 3.53%
  • 45 mcg/dL or more

20 1.53%
  • I've never been tested, but show no symptoms

706 54.14%
  • I've never been tested, but DO show symptoms

15 1.15%
  • My doctor prescribed treatment

6 0.46%
  • My doctor did not prescribe treatment

142 10.89%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2021222324252627282930

Thread: Are you poisoned? The lead blood levels poll...

Boolit Buddy
    I have been casting 20 years, and I cast in my basement, (I know). I tend to clean lead and cast for a week solid and then go for month and not touch it. I have been tested several times, about 5 mcg/dl. so no problems, one test was a week after casting 2k bullets. I don't shoot indoors though. I am very aware of lead oxide and do anything to avoid it, and I wet tumble. As long as you don't do anything to stupid, you are fine.

But i guess the real reason i don't have high lead is i don't eat lunchables lol

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by georgerkahn View Post
    Admittedly lead paint chips do not contribute to a healthy diet -- I recall a Forensic Files t.v. episode where a toddler --- playing on the porch -- accidentally ingested enough to kill her! Peeling paint simply got on her hands while playing with toys. Over time...
    The Consumer Reports just listed twelve food products containing lead, with the percentage of U S max per day added:
    Lunchables Turkey and Cheddar Cracker Stackers: 74%
    Lunchables Pizza with Pepperoni: 73%
    Lunchables Extra Cheesy Pizza: 69%
    Armour LunchMakers Cracker Crunchers Ham & American: 67%
    Target’s Good & Gather Uncured Ham and Cheddar Cheese Lunch Kit: 57%
    Armour LunchMakers Cracker Crunchers Turkey & American: 44%
    Greenfield Natural Meat Co. Smoked Turkey & Cheese Lunch Kit: 37%
    Target’s Good & Gather Smoked Turkey and Cheddar Cheese Lunch Kit: 30%
    Oscar Mayer Natural Honey Smoked Turkey Breast: 24%
    Oscar Mayer Natural Hickory Smoked Uncured Ham: 21%
    P3 Turkey Ham Cheddar: 10%
    P3 Turkey Colby Jack Almonds: 7%
    It seems interesting -- in a depressing sort of way -- that these products in fact have the amount of found.
    geo
    Lead is so prevalent in nature that it is almost impossible to find anything that doesn't have lead in it. We are now so capable of detecting it to such tiny levels as well. I worked in a chemistry lab that analyzed drinking water samples for lead and other contaminants. As our technology to detect the contaminants increased, the EPA continued to lower the allowable limits. What was OK last year is now not OK. I don't, and never have eaten Lunchables, but I will never hesitate to eat one on a camping trip or if offered to me. Don't forget that tuna is "loaded" with mercury!

I don’t worry about lead.
    We played with Mercury in elementary and were surrounded by asbestos.
    Drilling in the Gulf with oil based drilling mud required taking a can of Clorox, a wash rag, and a cup of diesel with you in the shower.
    The diesel really made my hair shine…..
    24D, fertilizer, carb cleaner and all that other stuff you encounter on the farm probably doesn’t help either!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I've held uranium in my bare hands, ripped out asbestos in a dry dock, worked around huge vats of concentrated acids and caustic solutions with no ppe. Lead? I laugh at lead!
    (actually, looking back it's a wonder that I didn't get ill, and it's a life lesson that others will use you up without the slightest concern in order to secure a temporary profit for themselves.)
    My guardian angle must be the tiredest and most overworked guy to ever be stuck with that job. Pretty sure that he's started smoking because of me.

Boolit Master

Asked my dr about possible lead poisoning & he had the test done & one of his nurses called & said ALL my blood work was good. I tried to get specific & she repeated that ALL my blood work was good. Didn't seem to want to get into specifics. When I asked the dr about the issue, he wanted to know why I wanted to know. I gave him the simple explanation re: boolit casting. etc. However, I have always taken precautions when either melting down WWs, clip-on or stick-on, and when casting boolits. Big Boomer

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Big Boomer View Post
    Asked my dr about possible lead poisoning & he had the test done & one of his nurses called & said ALL my blood work was good. I tried to get specific & she repeated that ALL my blood work was good. Didn't seem to want to get into specifics. When I asked the dr about the issue, he wanted to know why I wanted to know. I gave him the simple explanation re: boolit casting. etc. However, I have always taken precautions when either melting down WWs, clip-on or stick-on, and when casting boolits. Big Boomer
    Just a suggestion which has worked well for me -- in that I tell medics I fish a lot -- true -- and lead sinkers may not be sold/purchased in my state, so I need cast my own -- also true. Further, to secure duck decoys and similar a cast ingot of lead at the end of a cord is required. None have EVER asked if I cast bullets ! This sure seems a more positive "reason" for asking to be tested than possible opening of scary doors, so to speak, re -- none of their business, imho -- that I cast and shoot lead bullets.
    Works for me...
    geo

Boolit Master

I ask if lead is so bad how come my generation which cast toy soldiers, held solder in our teeth as a third hand, melted down old car batteries, and sanded and re-painted with lead paint. How come we went to the moon, invented computers, cellphones, medical advances, jet planes, etc., etc. whilst some lead-free kids can't cook toast.
    Of course the counter argument is look at how many looney democrats there are today.

Boolit Mold
    I'm obviously not very active here but I've just stumbled across this thread while looking for a little info on a new-to-me cartridge. I've read back a couple pages.

Some here may be interested in my experience.

On January 27th of this year I participated in a work-day at my club's indoor range, which was approx 2hrs of a Saturday morning. We rearranged range fixtures, cleaned out target pits and unfortunately some guys swept the range. I was somewhat aware of the lead hazard and took the precautions of wearing gloves, not touching my face, avoiding food/drink, removing my work clothing outdoors for separate laundering and I showered immediately upon returning home. What I did not do was wear any kind of mask or respirator, and this turned out to be a grave mistake. Out of the bunch of 10 or so guys, most more "senior" than me, only one wore a respirator. Turns out that fellow had prior experience with lead poisoning.

Anyway, I went to work in the afternoon and didn't feel great. By the next morning I was acutely ill. I did make it to church but that's about the last thing I did for the next four days.

My symptoms were:
    -extreme fatigue. I would not move beyond my computer chair, family room chair and bed. I did not change out of my pajamas for a couple days. Did not go outdoors. Could not work, do chores, or help with kids. I must have eaten something but not much. Slept upwards of 12hrs per day, often falling asleep while sitting upright in a chair.
    -persistent awful metallic taste in my mouth
    -mild nausea and generally sick/ill (flu-like) feeling
    -headaches, and I don't get headaches
    -Cognitive impairment. This was extensive. As an example I could hear questions from my wife and understand what was being asked but could not formulate answers so often would not respond
    -irritability to the point of not wanting any human contact

I got an appointment to see my doctor Thursday afternoon, which coincidentally was the first day I felt well enough to go out. The doc didn't fully understand the situation (and I wasn't in much condition to explain) but he was more than willing to order the BLL test which I had drawn immediately. The result was a BLL of 44.7. After that doc became quite concerned. Following consultation with local toxicologist it was decided to not treat with chelation but to remove exposure and monitor.

Of course I stopped all shooting related activities. Subsequent tests at two weeks had BLL at 42.2 and at seven weeks 32.2. Fatigue/illness dissipated after a week or so. Metallic taste came and went through mid-March. Cognitive impairment has improved but is still present, manifesting itself in several ways such as forgetfulness & short-term memory loss, difficulty with simple math and reduced reading comprehension. Increased irritability is also still present. Doc is going to monitor/test until BLL is normal, <5 I think.

It is impossible to know what my BLL was before the work day, and I did routinely shoot 2 evenings a week at the club, so it is very likely that I had an elevated level to start. My intention in sharing my story is to give a heads-up on symptoms, and to make clear that it is possible to get very, very sick from lead exposure. And that's not even considering the possible long-term consequences. It's a bad deal, and its no joke. So to those of you making light of it: stop. To those who shoot/cast/reload and take the basic precautions, I highly doubt you have anything to worry about but be careful and be aware of possible symptoms. And to those who shoot indoors or are otherwise exposed to lead dust, you might want to get a BLL test and reduce exposure. It can definitely make you sick.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Gartenmeister View Post
    I'm obviously not very active here but I've just stumbled across this thread while looking for a little info on a new-to-me cartridge. I've read back a couple pages.

Some here may be interested in my experience.

On January 27th of this year I participated in a work-day at my club's indoor range, which was approx 2hrs of a Saturday morning. We rearranged range fixtures, cleaned out target pits and unfortunately some guys swept the range. I was somewhat aware of the lead hazard and took the precautions of wearing gloves, not touching my face, avoiding food/drink, removing my work clothing outdoors for separate laundering and I showered immediately upon returning home. What I did not do was wear any kind of mask or respirator, and this turned out to be a grave mistake. Out of the bunch of 10 or so guys, most more "senior" than me, only one wore a respirator. Turns out that fellow had prior experience with lead poisoning.

Anyway, I went to work in the afternoon and didn't feel great. By the next morning I was acutely ill. I did make it to church but that's about the last thing I did for the next four days.

My symptoms were:
    -extreme fatigue. I would not move beyond my computer chair, family room chair and bed. I did not change out of my pajamas for a couple days. Did not go outdoors. Could not work, do chores, or help with kids. I must have eaten something but not much. Slept upwards of 12hrs per day, often falling asleep while sitting upright in a chair.
    -persistent awful metallic taste in my mouth
    -mild nausea and generally sick/ill (flu-like) feeling
    -headaches, and I don't get headaches
    -Cognitive impairment. This was extensive. As an example I could hear questions from my wife and understand what was being asked but could not formulate answers so often would not respond
    -irritability to the point of not wanting any human contact

I got an appointment to see my doctor Thursday afternoon, which coincidentally was the first day I felt well enough to go out. The doc didn't fully understand the situation (and I wasn't in much condition to explain) but he was more than willing to order the BLL test which I had drawn immediately. The result was a BLL of 44.7. After that doc became quite concerned. Following consultation with local toxicologist it was decided to not treat with chelation but to remove exposure and monitor.

Of course I stopped all shooting related activities. Subsequent tests at two weeks had BLL at 42.2 and at seven weeks 32.2. Fatigue/illness dissipated after a week or so. Metallic taste came and went through mid-March. Cognitive impairment has improved but is still present, manifesting itself in several ways such as forgetfulness & short-term memory loss, difficulty with simple math and reduced reading comprehension. Increased irritability is also still present. Doc is going to monitor/test until BLL is normal, <5 I think.

It is impossible to know what my BLL was before the work day, and I did routinely shoot 2 evenings a week at the club, so it is very likely that I had an elevated level to start. My intention in sharing my story is to give a heads-up on symptoms, and to make clear that it is possible to get very, very sick from lead exposure. And that's not even considering the possible long-term consequences. It's a bad deal, and its no joke. So to those of you making light of it: stop. To those who shoot/cast/reload and take the basic precautions, I highly doubt you have anything to worry about but be careful and be aware of possible symptoms. And to those who shoot indoors or are otherwise exposed to lead dust, you might want to get a BLL test and reduce exposure. It can definitely make you sick.
    I no longer shoot at indoor ranges due to the lead primer dust issue. You most likely had been increasing your lead level from shooting indoors and when the guy swept the floor in front of the firing line all of that primer dust was inhaled by you.

Boolit Buddy

Lee: The monitors spanked me for referring to a Lee progressive press using an F bomb as you did with the first letter and ***. They don't want any vulgarity especially since the F bomb is used as a descriptive adjective, verb, a noun, or expletive. Multi use word. But I am about to give blood this week. Hope I don't blow up the lead meter!

During my yearly blood work last year they checked for lead and my level was 2.7 .I'm definitely more aware of tumbling activities as I still dry tumble

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    Jesus said ( Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest ) Matt. 11:28

Sorry about your issues, Gartenmeister. I had an interesting conversation with my local PD armorer who is now in charge of their new indoor range. He has a HEPA vacuum that he uses to vacuum the entire range floor on a daily basis. He wears respirator and disposable tyvek suit. And has a quarterly lead test. Be careful with indoor ranges

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    My blood lead levels have fallen from 4.0 to 2.7 ug/dL over the past 3 years of bullet casting. I take spirulina, sometimes.

Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2021222324252627282930