Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Wideners
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Repackbox

View Poll Results: What are your blood lead levels and has your doctor prescribed treatment?

Voters
1304. You may not vote on this poll
  • 10 mcg/dL or less

392 30.06%
  • 11 to 25 mcg/dL

106 8.13%
  • 25 to 44 mcg/dL

46 3.53%
  • 45 mcg/dL or more

20 1.53%
  • I've never been tested, but show no symptoms

706 54.14%
  • I've never been tested, but DO show symptoms

15 1.15%
  • My doctor prescribed treatment

6 0.46%
  • My doctor did not prescribe treatment

142 10.89%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 24 of 30 FirstFirst ... 1415161718192021222324252627282930 LastLast

Thread: Are you poisoned? The lead blood levels poll...

Boolit Master

Nosedive; I think you meant tetra-ethyl lead in the gasoline and it is, I believe, one of the most if not the most Bio-available lead compound around. Good reason to be careful with that stuff. I worked with Basic White Carbonate of Lead which is also bad, but due to precautions taken, I am also reasonably sane.
    God Bless, Whisler

Boolit Master
    Tetraethyl lead.
    First I remember, in '60s it was paint. Then gasoline. Then toys. Then residue from mining. Then pottery glaze (did you know that for almost 4000 years that some pottery glaze has contained uranium?). Then bullets (of which, from when I lived in CA, the biggest proof was that a bird is found dead, bird had eaten a bullet, bird had some lead in its blood (reports I read did not report the level or mention what was considered normal for birds)--must be the lead that killed the bird with no more work required). I am sure there were many other "sources" we have been warned about. Now, we are back to paint, even though "we" have been removing lead paint for 60 years. Where is this source of lead paint that children are going back to eating? The fear mongering will never go away.
    Asbestos: Ships, trains, boilers, then your insulation, then your cigarettes, then your theater curtains, then your wall boards, then your ceiling tiles, then your spray insulation, then the spray ceilings ("pop corn" and all the others), then the talc in your powder, then the small amount that "might" be in sand (so, children lost sand boxes and sand "padding" at schools and I'll bet the number of school yard injuries went UP).
    In every case, we have spent larger and larger sums to remove a much smaller and smaller "possible" threat and in all cases the regulated "toxic" limit has been reduced and reduced until even someone who has "no" exposure still has some level that isn't too far from the artificial "safe" limit simply because it exists in the world and we exist in the world.
    The dose makes the poison. It was true in 1500 and it is still true. The regulators still use the rule that the only safe exposure is NO exposure, unless the substance is natural (as existing naturally in the food we eat)--in which case, they are expressly forbidden to even consider any regulatory control. It is the natural world, and not man-made chemicals, where you find the molecules that can (above a certain limit, see above) cause cancer 100% of the time (and in a time frame of days and not years)--and we ignore them. Yet, we can not use them as proof that all things are safe below some level.

went in today to see results from blood work magic number ..17 doc wasn't happy ....sending me to a blood guy any thoughts ..
    Dave Biesenbach
    port charlotte fl

I cast occasionally, cause I don't have time to shoot much, but my level was 1. I use cross wind with a fan, but that is all.
    If you live on the razor's edge and slip, you will die in two pieces

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 4719dave View Post
    went in today to see results from blood work magic number ..17 doc wasn't happy ....sending me to a blood guy any thoughts ..

Yes. Ask your doctor why he is unhappy with results in the low normal range.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

According to my paperwork, the upper limit is 10. First time I have been tested though, so they may keep moving the limit down.
    If you live on the razor's edge and slip, you will die in two pieces

Boolit Buddy
    Got tested last month. 3.2 for me so doc was happy. I'm a regular caster and shooter but I take precautions - cast outside wearing a respirator mask. Same with shooting and cleaning. Seems my precautions are working.

Boolit Master
    Northeastern part of Penn's Woods near Slocum Hollow.
    Been casting for a good bit of years.... been weighing more as those years go by! Starting to think it is from the lead build up in my body.
    I have tried really hard to flush that stuff out with copious amounts of ale but it is not working!
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington

I haven't been tested for quite a while, but I have been tested for it once due to some health symptoms, It turned out I have a pretty major case of hypothyroidism. I have been a re-loader for many years and a caster for quite a few years. I'm of the opinion that my risk for lead exposure is higher from reloading than bullet casting, IMO the lead from the fired primers poses a greater risk, it's in the tumbling media, in the containers used for processing fired brass. I cast in a ventilated area, and keep my melted lead at a proper temp, always wash up afterwards. Then there's all my trips to the indoor ranges over the years, they are ventilated much better these days.

Boolit Master
    And, they'll keep moving the numbers down until EVERYONE begs for lead to be removed from the environment.
    It isn't pollution control, it is CONTROL.

Boolit Mold
    Just getting into lead boolit casting, but used to work for GE making bulbs from lead glass. Got checked every 90 days until my lead levels started creapin' up and got promoted to 180 grade silica glass (halogen head lights). Left there in 1999 so my levels should be low now. It did effect my brain though; I now spend all my money (and time) on guns & reloading. I heard there's no cure.
    It is infinitely better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 5Shot View Post
    According to my paperwork, the upper limit is 10. First time I have been tested though, so they may keep moving the limit down.
    It is... If you are a developing child. Most of us are adults though.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Master

At 70 I really can't get too concerned. If it isn't lead it will be something else!

From all the junk I used to work with... Lead is near the bottom of the chart for me. But I haven't been checked for heavy metals in about 15 years. Seriously I probably need to mention that to my doctor next month.
    Be careful,
    Victor

Life member NRA

Boolit Master
    Unless you guys are toddlers casting your first boolits ( or have toddlers watching you while you cast) I wouldn't give it a second thought. The stuff you are exposed to in your daily life and food intake is worse! Now if you run your casting pot at 900 degrees then and only then: you better get checked out!
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington

This time of year, keep in mind that melting lead in an enclosed area can put arsenic compounds in the air. This can cause changes in the blood that can cause gout in your hands and especially your feet.
    Be careful,
    Victor

Life member NRA

Boolit Master
    .gninosiop dael evah ton od I
    I have danced with the Devil. She had excellent attorneys.

Boolit Master
    Worry..... about the more important evils in the world...you will not die of lead poisoning!

My doc and I talk about lead every year.

I am due for my annual physical at the end of December. I get my lead level checked every time. So far, very little in my system. Basically normal. I really don't take much in the way of precautions other than washing my hands every time I take a break. I smelt and make my ingots outside of course.
    My doc thinks it is unusual that I cast my own bullets and reload. He thinks it is even more unusual that I take that ammo and burn it up with machine guns. He asks me (out of curiosity I think) how many pounds of lead have I used up in the last year.
    He has been my doc for some 40 years. I was one of his first patients when he opened his family practice and he is heading towards retirement soon. Man does THAT make me feel old! He has an open invitation to shoot some full auto whenever he wants to. He said he will take me up on it some day, probably after he retires.
    I like him - he plays harmonica in a blues band...I played Hammond B3 in a 9 piece soul band in college and in the early 70's.
    I will miss him when he is retired.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by JWFilips View Post
    Worry..... about the more important evils in the world...you will not die of lead poisoning!
    Unless someone shoots you!

Page 24 of 30 FirstFirst ... 1415161718192021222324252627282930 LastLast