Load DataWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRepackboxTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything

Thread: Long-range accuracy of the Lee 430-310 RF?

Boolit Master

Long-range accuracy of the Lee 430-310 RF?

With its WFN design, does this boolit remain accurate out to 200 yards and more? I have heard that WFNs tend to become less stable sooner in their flight than LFNs.

Boolit Master
    My experience with that boolit in a .444 was that it hits just fine out to 200 but I never pushed it any farther seeing no need. Stay tuned since I will be taking it to NCBS for the first time in June but will only be sending 240's and 200's downrange to 300 and 400 yards. My MV's with that 310 boolit were about 1650-1700 for short range Roosevelt elk hunting.

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the intel, quilbilly. Hey, I have been to Quilcene and did some hiking in Scouts along the Dosewallips. Gorgeous country, if on the damp side.

Boolit Buddy
    While only indirectly related to accuracy most projectiles don't like transitioning from supersonic to subsonic. It does effect accuracy but I don't know how much it matters for a handgun bullet. The ballistic coefficient for that bullet is 0.218 so plug it in to a ballistics calculator and see how far it remains hypersonic.

Probably more important.......You also need to find a bullet twist calculator and find the minimum speed needed to keep the bullet stable with your barrel twist. I believe this just depends on the bullet length and weight and has nothing to do with the nose shape. If the bullet is below the stable velocity at 200 yards you have a problem.

Super Moderator

My experience with that boolit is that it’s at its best when driven fairly fast. I haven’t played with it for a while due to arthritic wrists. It’s a real thumper in the Contender.

Have not tried using this bullet at over 100yds. Out of my 44 rifle , it is accurate to this range. Drop becomes a big factor after 75yds, in my experience.

Boolit Master
    Like Dom, I use it most in my Lever action...and I cannot be trusted with that nor my Handguns anymore beyond 100 Yards... Hell...If my eyes get any worser, I won't Know if there is a Target beyond 100 yards!!!!! Anyway, at 100, it seems easy enough to Keep in the Black!! Unless I use the Contender....then a Shot or Two and I'm Done with that Heavy Projectile!!

Banner Sponsor

Not this bullet, but I did try some 70, 80, and 90% meplat, 320-350gn bullets out to 1000yds at a Linebaugh shoot.
    These were shot out of a Taurus Raging bull 454 at 1350fps.
    The 70% meplat bullets shot straight to 1000yds, the 80% bullets started to veer off course around 800yds. So I assumed that the 90s would become unstable sooner, but they shot good to 900yds.

Boolit Master
    Lar, that's very interesting.