RotoMetals2Load DataReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyWidenersRepackbox
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Old reloading tools

*****..The pic of the lathe neck turning set up is to fuzzy for me to get a good idea of what you are doing. Could you go into some detail on that..please.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Bub
    Char-Gar:

No problem, I made a support mandrel from a Redding case turning mandrel, any would work.

The mandrels just have to be long enough to reach a steady rest. I use dry lube in the case neck, and of course the case necks are miked and sorted prior to turning...

There is a dial indicator set up on the back side of the case neck which allows me to measure the neck size in real time.

I have used both a 3 C collet, and a 3 jaw chuck to hold the brass, each way produces a good result.

But the collet set up is less likely to damage brass.....

I can do most case prep work in this configuration, including polishing

Can you follow the above ramblings?

However I admit that if the case neck has miked "much thicker" in one area with a ball mic I will still turn the neck by hand, and I still do all of my comp case prep by hand--old habits
    The terrain looks a Hell of a lot different when you'er crawling through it!

Wounded Warrior Alumni

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pressman View Post
    Another seldom seen tool from the days of yesteryear. A Varco powder trickler.
    Ken

I've never seen one.

I sure like the idea of large knob. Seems more precise.

Thanks Ken!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Catshooter View Post
    Randy,

The bottom turret, I believe, is for primers. In the old days, primers came not only large & small, but also flat on the bottom (like today) and rounded. So, four different primer punches.

Cat
    Correct, also, if you load Shotgun, you have room for a shotgun primer punch.

Funny thing about the rounded primer punches. They work great for our modern day flat primers.

I reckon the flat primer punches must not push the old style rounded primers in deep enough.

Boolit Master

Catshooter is correct.

Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA-Life, ARTCA, American Legion, & the South Cuyahoga Gun Club.

Caveat Emptor: Do not trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He will rip you off.

Boolit Grand Master

Smile Old Papers

Not reloading tools, but still interesting.
    These papers were in the box of old tools I got.
    Catalogs, manuals, instructions, and the sales receipt.

Boolit Master
    That's some cool stuff Abunaitoo!

Banned
    You do not see this one at avery gun show, a T.L. Bosler press. Three station with the ram on a center pivot. It works but the pivot pin is a weak part. And teh only chrome plated press I have seen. Patented in 1935 using Pacific dies and rams.
    Ken

Boolit Master
    That is really special. Now you're making this fun pressman.

Thanks!
    Last edited by LUBEDUDE; 09-17-2012 at 12:44 PM.

Boolit Master
    This is a good thread, it's made me dig into my Hollywood history. I just discovered that I have been calling one of my "Universals" the wrong name. It's bad enough that the early ones are confusing whether they are B's, B Specials, Universal B, Universal B Special, or Universal III, or Universal III Special.

It seems in Mid 1955 when Hollywood was pushing a fully loaded ShotShell loader, they had to stretch the frame from a 17" tall to a 18 1/2' tall (roughly) to accomadate a longer stroke. They decided to forgo the Universal name and just go with "Turret Tool".

So if you have a Universal frame that is 18 1/2", you have a Turret Tool as seen below, set up for ShotShells. The ads show them with all three turrets as well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HWTurretTool.jpg   Hollywood13.jpg  
    Last edited by LUBEDUDE; 09-16-2012 at 08:22 PM.

Boolit Master
    It is not as interesting as some of these presses, but I am guessing it is fairly old since it has a drum labeled for 5066 powder. A homemade powder measure with several extra drums(one adjustable), and I put some other pics in the homemade sticky:

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by texassako View Post
    It is not as interesting as some of these presses, but I am guessing it is fairly old since it has a drum labeled for 5066 powder. A homemade powder measure with several extra drums(one adjustable), and I put some other pics in the homemade sticky:

That looks like it could be the origins of the Little Dandy measure! Neat!
    Jon

Boolit Buddy
    This thread has been a pleasure to browse through, so many neat old tools. Had never heard of a Potter press until today! I no longer have it, but I once had a Texan turret press that was a serious piece of machinery. Seem to think it had seven holes in the turret (maybe more), but do recall the shovel-handle & the toggle links.....very smooth operating press. cannot recall the model number/name, but would like to see some photos of one if anyone can identify it from my description.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by bonza View Post
    This thread has been a pleasure to browse through, so many neat old tools. Had never heard of a Potter press until today! I no longer have it, but I once had a Texan turret press that was a serious piece of machinery. Seem to think it had seven holes in the turret (maybe more), but do recall the shovel-handle & the toggle links.....very smooth operating press. cannot recall the model number/name, but would like to see some photos of one if anyone can identify it from my description.
    bonza,

If you haven't visited the Antique Reloading Tool Collectors Association (ARTCA) website, I suggest you do! You'd like it. There are lots of pics and discussions about almost every old reloading tool that was made. It is a wealth of information and the members there have a wealth of knowledge.
    Jon

So the lower turret is for the different shell holders and the Primer punches are on a turret too?

So you then rotate whatever combination you are using for that round into position and go?

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    Yes

As in this pic loading 45-70

Rotate your very bottom turret in line with your dies that has your Large Primer Post, and it is set for your loading session.

Then rotate the middle turret containing your shell holder for the 45-70 in line with your dies, and it is set for the session.

Now all you do is rotate the ships wheel Turret Handle (top turret) with one hand for each operation; sizing, seating, crimping, and the operating(up/down) handle with your other hand.

Or if you prefer, use it as a Single Stage Press and do batches.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hwuniversalpic2.jpg  
    Last edited by LUBEDUDE; 09-20-2012 at 06:40 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bonza View Post
    I no longer have it, but I once had a Texan turret press that was a serious piece of machinery. Seem to think it had seven holes in the turret (maybe more), but do recall the shovel-handle & the toggle links.....very smooth operating press. cannot recall the model number/name, but would like to see some photos of one if anyone can identify it from my description.
    Texan model 101-T-II as you described on the left.

On the right is anoher variation without the shovel handle and a different base. I believe it to be an earlier model but have no facts to go on. It seems that the newer?bases and shovel handle were an after thought of the MK series shotgun loaders.

Maybe someone with more experience/knowledge like pressman or SkeeTex will know.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Texan101-TII.jpg   Texan101-TIIos.jpg  
    Last edited by LUBEDUDE; 09-20-2012 at 06:43 PM.

Dude: got it, makes perfect sense.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Buddy
    Lubedude, I think that may be the one. It could just be the angle the photo is taken from, but the one I had seemed bigger/taller.

Oh my....all this is making me dizzy.

Hope Doug (aka Floodgate) is seeing this.

Regards,

Scott

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast