Load DataSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Lee Precision
WidenersRepackboxTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication

Thread: Lyman 450

Boolit Mold

Lyman 450

I had a buddy buy an old Lyman 450 at an estate sale or some such. Anyoo he knew I has started casting recently and made me a long term loan on the piece. It has quite an accumulation of old lube in in it. What would be the best way to clean this old lubri-sizer up ?
    It does not have the heater with it.
    Thanks
    David

Boolit Mold
    Thanks

Boolit Buddy

Cleaned 450 Lyman

Old 07-01-2012, 09:51 PM #1
    afish4570
    Boolit Master

450 Lyman problem adjusting to get bullet lubed.....
    Boiled the old lube out of 450 using my Harbor Fr. brush burner to heat a 5 qt. pickle can of water..... Replaced the pressure screw and reassembled with Lars 2500 lube.
    Actually cleaned up rather quickly..... A Coleman stove or propane stove done outside to keep the Secretary of War from getting involved with any messes incurred will also work. The brush burner stunt was very quick to heat up water with. Hot water was not put on lawn or driveway either. afish4570

Boolit Mold
    "the Secretary of War"

haha, at my house I refer to her as The War Dept.

As i let me run that by the war dept.

Thanks for the tip.

North Central Montana; across the wide Missouri
    In my house the "she" must be Special Ops, she always knows sooner and more than I do.

Boolit Grand Master

Here, shes the one you ask where anything is. If in a good mood, sometimes she'll tell ya where she hid it.
    If she ain't happy, you're without.

North Central Montana; across the wide Missouri
    Every time I made grade, she made the next one. When I made MMCS, I bought her a Command Master Chief pocket device. She never said another word about it.

Boolit Mold
    After letting my 450 set for probably 8 years,I decited to start making boolits again,what a mess,it was cloged up awful. Took it appart and picked out as much as I could.Looking around in the garage I found some engine degreaser.It worked for me and with an old tooth brush,I had that 450 looking like new. Also I have made a gasket to put on the bottom so it will not leak. I use a top off a 5qt. icecream container. Cut it out to fit,and when you bolt it down ,you are leak free. Try it ,it works great. Jerry

Boolit Master

After 25 years of use, I decided to give my Lyman 450 a good cleaning. I ran it out of lube, disassembled completely, and put the parts in a deep casserole dish. I covered everything with water, put the dish in the oven, and set the oven at 225. All the residual lube melted out and floated to the top. I let the water cool to room temp so I could pull the wax off the surface. After boiling the 450 i finished cleaning by scrubbing with dawn dish soap and a hot water rinse. Compressed air removed residual moisture for re assembly. I don't think I'll need to do this intense of a cleaning often as I don't intend to ever use Lyman black moly lube. The stuff worked great but wasn't what I would care to use again. Lars BAC or my home made loob does just fine for my needs. Frank

Boolit Grand Master
    I've got an old Ideal #1 Lube/Sizer that has the remnants of what I assume was a stick of the old Ideal lube that looks black in the stick but has a sort of deep red brown color in reality. I'm wondering how hot the water will have to be to melt that stuff out. I plan to refill it with either Emmert's or my own "Frog Guano," both of which are pretty soft, so as not to stress the antique castings of this classic. It will probably be used for a .516" custom die from S&S to prep bullets from my Maynard 50 caliber carbine.

Froggie

Boolit Master
    Froggie

Who is this S&S outfit? I need a .514 die for a Lyman 450.

I have had several lube sizer cleaning adventures. I used a hair dryer for one and a industrial heat gun for the other.
    The first one was a first generation RCBS with old 50/50 Alox of unknown origin. The second was a Lyman 450 with that nasty black Lyman Moly lube. The second one is not over yet. Most of the black stuff came out but I still need to melt some clean lube in it to finish flushing out the remains of the black stuff. The heat gun works well.
    Last edited by EDG; 09-12-2012 at 11:15 PM.
    EDG

If you looking for a heatetr go to Midway . they sell one for all sizers I put on on my 450 and glad i have i do not have to work hard with the lube and you will also have a easy time to remove the old lube if need to. It heats up the sizer good and depends on the lube you might need to unplug it after so long for to cool down a little .
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

I got a 1 inch block of aluminum from work and drilled a .375 hole from the backside toward the front and put the heating element in that. bolted the 450 down though it to the table. It was a bit cheaper the haveing to buy the whole heater base. I didn't have to pay for the aluminum though.Thats the last time I will buy a lubrisizer thinking I can get away without that heater model. Ya right!
    sent via hammer and chisel

need oversized powder funnels , PTX's or expanders ? just ask, I make 'em for most brands plus my own styles.