Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingReloading Everything
Load DataInline FabricationSnyders JerkyWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox

Thread: For me a handi rifle.....

For me a handi rifle.....

Thing is, I didn't want it!
    Well ok I wanted a H&R single shot, but I really wanted a 12 gauge.
    Was looking for a cheap one....couldn't find any.....plenty of 20's bit no 12's. So o started looking into getting s barrel change. Turns out of it starts as a shotgun, the will only do shotgun our pistol barrels. So I found me a cheap center fire and can now have anything put on it. Trouble is its a 243, and I have less than no use for that. So first two it gets will be 12 gauge, and a .357. Eventually it will also add a 45-70. For more I have a new rifle I have no components for and no desire to shoot......but at least I got a new gun!
    homeland defense begins at home.

Boolit Master
    Welcome to Handi Rifles I started with a 223 and now have barrels in 357, 243, 308, 45-70, and 38-55 along with three actions. They grow on you and can be frustrating.

Thanks for the reply. The original message was kind of lost. I posted it from my phone and the text program "corrects" a lot of my words to completely weird ideas.

Long story short I was looking for a 12 gauge and ended up with a new .243 for only like 40 bucks more.

I don't have any other 6mm' s and can not think of a good reason for having this one. I am however looking forward to getting the .357 barrel installed. I think it will be a hoot with these new 180 grain Mihec' s I just got.

Boolit Bub
    Just go to the GBO forums and sell the .243 barrel on the H&R classified.
    This will recoup some of your cost.
    It may be useful for making your own stub barrel as well.

I have recently gotten interested in the Handies also.
    Neat little guns.

Boolit Buddy

Handis are great little guns. I have 2, one in 45-70. It is no more punishing than any other rifle. I also have an 1873 trapdoor made in 1883 or 1884. It still shoots the daylights out of most of my other rifles, the only problem being that it is on at 300 yards using the original sights. Love Handis and 45-70.

Boolit Master
    I don't have a handi rifle or shotgun, and won't as they don't float my boat!

However, my oldest son had some of these and this is a big boy, 6' 5" and 200+lbs who shoot a 10gauge for ducks because a 12 doesn't put them down fast enough for him. He doesn't like to chase them when jump shooting on streams.

He has hunted short range hunts with slugs from 3" 12ga.

In short he handles recoil about as well as any one.

However, he said that recoil with a handi was extreme, to the point where it took the gun out of his hands on more then one shot when he fired it.

Knowing Jeff, if that is the case the only thing I want to do with a 12ga in one of those, is watch someone else shoot it!

CDOC

Boolit Master

What? Extreme recoil?

I've been shooting a 12 ga H&R single shot since I was 13. Was my birthday present that year.

The recoil may not be the lightest, but it's manageable.
    "I have enough ammo and guns to shoot my way into Nevada." - California resident.

Lossa cheap 12 ga. Handi barrels on Gunbroker.
    We need somebody/something to keep the government (cops and bureaucrats too) HONEST (by non government oversight).

Every "freedom" (latitude) given to government is a loophole in the rule of law. Every loophole in the rule of law is another hole in our freedom. When they even obey the law that is. Too often government seems to feel itself above the law.

We forgot to take out the trash in 2012, but 2016 was a charm! YESSS!

Sweet thanks for the info leftiye...I'll check it out.