MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Inline FabricationRepackboxLoad DataReloading Everything
Wideners Titan Reloading

Thread: looks like I gotta start

Boolit Grand Master

looks like I gotta start

I have an old discontinued Lyman mold that throws a 540 grain .45 caliber rifle boolit. Problem is, the boolits come out at .453, .007 too small for my H&R Buffalo Classic and my Gibbs Summit. I could send it to a guy to have the drive bands opened up, but I figure this just might be the motivation I need to do this.

I just looked up "The Paper Jacket" on Amazon and Janet's gonna order it for me. I ain't doin' nothin' 'till I get the book and read it. When I get done with it, I'll let y'all know and go from there.

Be patient with me, fellas. I'm an ol' man and this is "no country for old men".

in Remebrance
    You're fixin' to start an addiction that's awful hard to shake. Casting's bad enough. I've been very lucky in that the combo's I tried first worked out quite well, but now I'm ordering another mold to try PP in my 30/40AI. GW

Boolit Grand Master
    Oh, God, what have I done?

Have you measured the twist in that BC? Better make sure it'll stabilize such a big boolit. As for patching, just as Goatwhiskers says, once you figger it out you'll be hooked! And the 45-70 is one of the best cartridges to learn how to do it. Once you see what that rifle will do with 45 ACP boolits you won't be able to stop laughing.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobade View Post
    Have you measured the twist in that BC? Better make sure it'll stabilize such a big boolit.....

1 in 20, but I'm gonna try it anyway.

Once you see what that rifle will do with 45 ACP boolits you won't be able to stop laughing.
    That's interesting! I'd LOVE to be able to shoot light weights in my Contender.

Jim welcome to the addiction. Check out the sticky
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=154034

Boolit Master
    I just dropped by here one day to see what all the fuss was about.Now I am patching for a 300 Win. mag and a 30-30. Haven't got it all figured out yet but it sure is fun.That 300 sure does kick with those patched boolits......Terry

Boolit Grand Master
    I've been doin' some reading. As I understand it, the boolit needs to be bore diameter so the riflings will cut the patch, releasing it on exit. Am I correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    I've been doin' some reading. As I understand it, the boolit needs to be bore diameter so the riflings will cut the patch, releasing it on exit. Am I correct?
    More or less. The naked boolit needs to be bore diameter or bigger. It shouldn't slide down the hole without some pushing. Then the patch needs to take it up to fit the rifle's throat. Now the actual diameters are determined by your rifle and the paper you have available.

An example is my Mosin Nagant 91/30 I was playing with this weekend. I can load it two ways. Using the same boolit, I can size the boolit to .303" and patch it with printer paper so it is .315". Or I can size it to .309" and patch it with onionskin so it is .315". They both shoot the same, and use the same loads.

Keep in mind this applies to smokeless powder. Be careful not to get black powder techniques confused with smokeless techniques, they don't interchange.

Boolit Grand Master
    Excellently explained. Your communication skills are to be admired.

And another one bites the dust. PPing is more addictive than crystal meth. Once hooked, you are hooked forever.
    45 AUTO! Because having to shoot someone twice is just silly!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by pdawg_shooter View Post
    And another one bites the dust. PPing is more addictive than crystal meth. Once hooked, you are hooked forever.
    Yep, and here goes me the same way. I'll be paper patching for my Mosin Nagant by 2013 deer season (probably won't be set up to cast in time for this fall's season, but PP would work on commercial swaged lead, too, if I've got my reloading lined up). I've got a number of different papers around, and can make a simple push-through die to any size I need. I'm starting to scrounge wheel weights and lack only a heat source to smelt them into ingots.