50% beeswax
    30% Red, Tacky Lucas High Temp Grease
    10% Johnson's Paste Wax
    5% Dexron II or Dexron III Trans. Fluid
    5% STP Oil Treatment

Ben
    Is this by volume?
    Crabo

Do not argue with idiots. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Boolit Grand Master
    Is this by volume?

+++++++++++++++++++

Hope this will be a help to you ?

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ht=Ben%27s+Red

Boolit Master

Ben, when you put this in your sizer, is a heater recommended? I use a Cerisan Red that I've been usin for years, but I need a heater under my Lyman 45 to warm it up so I don't break the sizer. Is your lube here hard enough to have the need for a heater? I use the Lyman heater.
    Gun Control means hitting what you aim at!

Certified NRA Pistol Instructor
    Life Member of the NRA
    Life Member of the Disabled American Veterans Association

Boolit Master
    I've been thinking about trying Ben's lube, as well as RFR's simple lube. Got some questions about Ben's lube:

1. Will it easily handle higher velocity (2200-2500 fps)?

2. Does the lube stay on the boolits, or does it come off right out of the muzzle?

3. Is the lube super tacky and cause boolits to stick to each other (in storage)?

4. What is the approximate melting temp (I'm sorry if this has been mentioned in this thread and I missed it)?

Thanks!

Boolit Grand Master
    Lead47

As I have mentioned earlier, no heater is needed with Ben's Red even when the room temp is 55 - 60 degrees.
    Last edited by Ben; 04-29-2013 at 03:03 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    outdoorfan :

1. Will it easily handle higher velocity (2200-2500 fps)? I have no idea as I don't shoot my .30 cal. cast bullets in that speed zone ?

2. Does the lube stay on the boolits, or does it come off right out of the muzzle? I've never gone to the trouble to research that point. It shoots tight groups , leaves my bore mirror bright and kills game dead.....your point of where the lube is once the bullet leaves the end of the barrel has never really concerned me.

3. Is the lube super tacky and cause boolits to stick to each other (in storage)? It is somewhat tacky. I wouldn't say that bullets " stick to each other ."

4. What is the approximate melting temp (I'm sorry if this has been mentioned in this thread and I missed it)? I don't use a thermometer , so I can't help you with an exact temperature.

Boolit Master
    I've lost count of how many rounds I've fired since taking up with Bens Red. It's in the thousands. I have yet to clean any rifle I've put it through, unless you consider one or two dry patches cleaning. I can rn dry patch through my 300 blackout bolt rifle after one range trip(usually between 200 & 300 rounds) and the bore sparkles. I don't see a sane reason to bother with anything else.

I'm sold and doubt I will ever experiment with much else for lube. I have several of sticks of LBT blue soft I've been tempted to try out but I just can't bring myself to change from what I KNOW from experience WORKS.

Boolit Master
    Ben, what is the lowest temps you experience where you live and shoot, say 20-30 maybe? I assume your lube works in those temps without crazy fliers all the way up to 90-100 degrees, right?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by outdoorfan View Post
    Ben, what is the lowest temps you experience where you live and shoot, say 20-30 maybe? I assume your lube works in those temps without crazy fliers all the way up to 90-100 degrees, right?
    Well, you didn't ask me but in TN we have freezing temp winters and miserable hot summers. 90+ August temps. I've shot Bens Red when it was snowing outside and with sweat running down my nose. I haven't seen much a difference in accuracy. Although, in really hot weather, when I get the barrel fairly warm, a greasy film does tend to settle on the gun.

....oh no! Grease on a gun! LOL

I'm thinking I will load some light charges in my 308 and set them in truck seat to get "nice and warm" this August. Be a good test of hot weather reactions.
    I've never seen a problem but I use a large Coleman cooler for a range box and they tend to stay cool in there, insulated from the heat and all.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DeanWinchester View Post
    Well, you didn't ask me but in TN we have freezing temp winters and miserable hot summers. 90+ August temps. I've shot Bens Red when it was snowing outside and with sweat running down my nose. I haven't seen much a difference in accuracy. Although, in really hot weather, when I get the barrel fairly warm, a greasy film does tend to settle on the gun.

....oh no! Grease on a gun! LOL

I'm thinking I will load some light charges in my 308 and set them in truck seat to get "nice and warm" this August. Be a good test of hot weather reactions.
    I've never seen a problem but I use a large Coleman cooler for a range box and they tend to stay cool in there, insulated from the heat and all.

Yeah, that's what I was wondering about. Thanks!

Boolit Grand Master
    I've killed deer at 10 degrees F with no wild fliers with Ben's Red.I've also shot at the range in 95 + degrees F with no unusual " quirks " from the lube.

I've been shooting this lube for about 7 years now, if I believed I could make or buy a better lube ( for my purposes ), I'd be doing it right now.

Catch is.....I'm very happy with Ben's Red and I'll be staying with it.

In an effort to help keep my own comments in proper perspective, If I was selling the lube and stuffing large amounts of money in my pockets every time I could convince someone to order it, that would be one thing. My claims or comments would come under suspicion at that point in time because of the sale of the lube and the resulting cash being an incentive to promote the lube " regardless."

However, I've never sold Ben's Red and I don't plan on selling the lube. The instructions for the making of the lube are FREE to anyone who wants to make the lube.

50% beeswax
    30% Red, Tacky Lucas High Temp Grease
    10% Johnson's Paste Wax
    5% Dexron II or Dexron III Trans. Fluid
    5% STP Oil Treatment

I have received hundreds of PM's related to the lube. I have attempted to help in any way that I could all the people who have shown an interest in the lube.

All the forum members here contribute in one way or another every day, hopefully the making of Ben's Red by many and its use and enjoyment will be my small contribution to my many fellow forum members.

Ben
    Last edited by Ben; 05-01-2013 at 08:08 AM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    I've killed deer at 10 degrees F with no wild fliers with Ben's Red.
    I've also shot at the range in 95 + degrees F with no unusual performance from the lube.

I've been shooting this lube for about 7 years now, if I believed I could make or buy a better lube ( for my purposes ), I'd be doing it right now.

Catch is.....I'm very happy with Ben's Red and I'll be staying with it.

If I was selling the lube and stuffing large amounts of money in my pockets every time I could convince someone to order it, that would be one thing. However, I've never sold Ben's Red and I don't plan on selling the lube. The instructions for the making of the lube are free to anyone who wants it.

I have received hundreds of PM's related to the lube. I have attempted to help in any way that I could all the people who have shown an interest in the lube.

Ben

Thanks, Ben. We appreciate it. I hope I didn't offend you in any way with my questions.

Ben
    First I would like to thank you for sharing with this forum your hard work, knowledge, and I am sure many hours of time to perfect, “Ben's Red”…………….. Your lube without any doubt will out shoot any average shooters ability. There are some limitations on the lube, tempters wise. That said if a knowledgeable shooter understands this they will compensate for it.
    Having watched the “The Quest” I surly not with my life time would ever have come up with your lube, Felix, Gears, or Runfiverun’s lubes. And I am not sure that I would share it with all……… With that being said I tip my hat to you all.
    I have always found the Cast Boolit community a very special group of individuals that is above the norm.
    Again Thanks To All Who Have Been Willing To Share Far & Above. “Job Well Done”!!!!!!!!!
    Don

Banned

Bens lube is as good as anything you can buy and better than most you pay for.
    the red and tacky grease and stp mix is a big part of it's success.
    it will hang in there at normal shooting temps, once you go outside the boundarys it performs the same as the other lubes available.
    mine, Felix lube, randy's, lbt blue, anybody's
    they all have temperature boundary's and need to be adjusted for the temperature swings outside the norm. [both directions]
    there is no getting away from that with any of the normal lubes.

velocity is a non issue, it is viscosity [at temperature] that matters.

Boolit Master

I've been thinking about trying Ben's lube, as well as RFR's simple lube. Got some questions about Ben's lube:

1. Will it easily handle higher velocity (2200-2500 fps)? I tend to think so, but still early in that game for me. Waiting on delivery of the mold with which to take the speeds up.

2. Does the lube stay on the boolits, or does it come off right out of the muzzle? It does not appear to be a "flinger" as Gear is searching for, though looking at the groups Ben has shot with his .30's, not really sure this is the concern some make it out to be

3. Is the lube super tacky and cause boolits to stick to each other (in storage)? It's a soft lube, and I wouldn't "coffee can" store them with the unaltered formula. I use the plastic liners from Federal/Speer pistol ammo boxes to store lubed boolits in until ready to load.

4. What is the approximate melting temp (I'm sorry if this has been mentioned in this thread and I missed it)? Using a whisk aggressively, I had full integration of all the ingredients somewhere between 200-220F. The re-melting point of the finished lube I would guess to be a little lower. Won't know till I finish my first sticks and have to melt down the big puck to make more
    Helpful, I hope.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

In Remembrance

My batch of Ben's Red is as soft as NRA 50/50 and I'm of the opinion that the lube will purge uniformly from the grooves with the rotation of the boolit. That to me is a good trait. I think that the softer lube comes out more easily and uniformly, lending to accuracy.I have not tried to pan lube with it, but someone commented that it didn't stay in the grooves. I have used it on pistol and rifle boolits, large and small, and store them in plastic bags until time to load. I have not had any problems with it coming out before use.

Boolit Grand Master
    I've pan lubed many hundreds of bullets with Ben's Red with zero problems.

See this link below, I'm pan lubing in the photos that you see :

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-a-Budget-quot

Boolit Bub
    Would this be a good lube to use in a Magma Star Lubsizer?

Boolit Grand Master
    surfanarchist

I know of no reason why it wouldn't work VERY well.

You may have to make very minor changes in the beeswax, Lucas red and tacky % ratios to get the consistency that you are looking for.

More beeswax = harder lube
    More Red & Tacky = softer lube

Ben

Boolit Master

Am intrested in making some of this lube,but have a question. That lucas grease says its fortified with anti-seize. I know antiseize is based on ground up/powdered dis-similar metals.Im thinkin that i dont want that in my barrells?? Have you researched the abrasive issues with this grease?

Maybe im worried about nothin,cause alot of you fellers praise this up,,but i have to wonder,,,thanks,

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast