MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingInline FabricationLoad Data
Lee PrecisionWidenersRepackboxRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you still buy factory ammo?

Do you still buy factory ammo?

How much factory ammo do you serious casters still buy, and what are your reasons? Probably 99% of the ammo I shoot now days is my own reloads made with the bullets I cast. I still buy rimfire of course but the only factory ammo I buy is for my family's carry guns and an occasional box of factory to test against my reloads. I have quite a stockpile of factory ammo on hand but most boxes have only a few rounds shot out of them. When friends come over to shoot they will bring factory ammo but end up shooting my reloads and leave the factory stuff with me. I just stockpile it for the future, who knows what the next administration will do, especially if Hildabeast is elected.

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range
    I occasionally buy factory ammo for carry, and occasionallly buy cheap center fire factory handgun ammo on sale for some cheap shooting when I'm feeling too lazy to handload and to have the brass afterward. We don't get a vote on the rimfire stuff.

I'm waiting for the white horse with Fred Thompson on top.

Regards,

Stew

P.S. Shoulda mentiond that I handload a LOT for everything else. Handgun, rifle and shotgun.
    Last edited by AZ-Stew; 05-12-2007 at 12:17 PM.
    Sig file change:
    "Obi Wan Baloney"
    VOTE 2012! Throw them out! Every last one of them! (Feel free to add this to your sig. Spread the word!)

"...Get a rope." Pace Picante Sauce commercial, ca. 1984

"I (did, on several occasions) swear to support and defend the Constitution of the United States, against ALL enemies, foreign AND domestic, and to bear true faith and allegiance to the same." And when I left, they never asked me to recant.

I just buy rimfire. Everything else I load myself. On occasion I am given some to evaluate in specific rifles or handguns, but not often. I used to buy factory for carry ammo, but I have decent HP moulds for all my carry guns now, so I no longer have any need for it.
    Born OK the first time.

22 rimfire and occasionally some turkey shotgun shells. Even with a new rifle in a new caliber I start off with new empty brass and roll my own.

Boolit Grand Master
    Not a lot of factory ammo here. Carry ammo for the war toys, 3" Magnum shotshells for turkeys, and most new guns get 50-100 rounds of factory ammo for their shakedown cruise--Winchester white box brass reloads right well.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Grand Master

Steel cased Russian blasting fodder for the AR, 7.62X39, 8X57, 9mm and .380.

It's too much trouble to load quantity .223 just to heat the barrel on a single stage press. I load some precision stuff for the target rifle though. I bought the SKS back when steel core Chinese was dirt cheap with the express purpose of having a blaster I wouldn't reload for. Stuck to that so far, even though ammo cost is through the roof. I really don't shoot it all that much anymore. I'd rather shoot cast in my Marlins. The G33/40 gets nothing but surplus with the current pricing. I don't shoot it a lot either. My only 9 is a compact carry piece. I don't subscribe to Ayoob's liability drivel, but I still only use factory ammo for carry. .380 is pretty much in the same boat as 9.

On Heaven's Range

The only factory loads I buy, handgun or rifle, are those for concealed-carry use. I generally fire the rounds I've carried about every six months, and reload the
    guns with freshly-purchased ammo. I carry autoloaders for in-town concealment, but my "suburban" carrying usually involves open-carry revolvers and cast-bullet handloads.

All practice with the carry guns is done with cast handloads of similar performance to the commercial stuff. At $15 or more for twenty rounds, it would cost a LOT to do extensive shooting with the top-notch commercial loads (Cor-Bon 9mm, Federal 230HP .45ACP).

In spite of considerable recent exercising of my .45s, I still have at least 4500 loaded rounds with cast 230RN on hand....better get to work!!!
    Regards from BruceB in Nevada

"The .30'06 is never a mistake." - Colonel Townsend Whelen

Boolit Master

Factory ammo only for the CCW. The rest get cast and reloads...

SS
    NRA Life Member Since 1981

"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"-- George Washington

II Corinthians 4:8-9. We are hard-pressed on every side, yet not crushed; we are perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted but not forsaken, struck down, but not destroyed."

Psalms 25:2 O my God, I trust in thee: let me not be ashamed, let not mine enemies triumph over me.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Boolit Bub
    I am just starting casting....

I buy factory ammo in a few cases....on clearance at WalMart. (7 boxes of 3" turkey loads at $3.50, 9 boxes 22 Hornet for $10, etc) I buy 3" steel for ducks and a flat of 28 ga and .410 every other year for the hulls. I have a stockpile of ammo for my .40 to carry but buy .38s for dad and my S&W 36 I hope to buy soon

I guess I'm pretty self sufficient.

Boolit Master

I buy factory ammo for CCW and the "house guns". The only other time I buy factory ammo is when I acquire a new firearm in a cartridge I don't reload for, yet. When I get a new gun I like to try it out before I invest in dies and components. If it passes muster, and some don't, I order the reloading goodies and I already have some once fired cases on hand.
    Chuck

Rarely do I buy factory ammo. Like most of the above who carry (CCW), I do keep factory ammunition for those. It should be several years before I have to buy any for my CCW's.

When I do look at the price of factory ammunition on occasions, I get STICKER SHOCK!!! It doesn't take long to figure out even with the rising prices of alloy and reloading supplies, that we are still way ahead of the rest of those who don't cast & reload their own.

Murphy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

Boolit Buddy
    I, like a lot of others apparently, keep factory rounds in my pistols that might get called upon in dire times. For everything else it's reloads. I do have a large stock of bulk J bullets that I acquired some years ago that I load, but mostly now it's all cast. Seems to be a bit of a theme developing....

Boolit Grand Master

I do occationally. Usually when I get a new caliber because I want to try my gun out soon and don't want to wait for the dies and everything plus I need the brass to load.
    Sometimes also because it is more cost effective or because I don't have the time I need to reload before I want to go shoot. 8mm and that Russian 7.62 x 54 is still cheaper to buy surplus that to load and I haven't gotten the reload stuff for the Russian yet. And I do like to have factory for home protections and carry guns.
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Bub
    The only factory stuff I buy is rimfire and shotgun ammo.I'm just now getting started into casting but have been reloading since circa 1966 or so..... But have never reloaded any shotgun ammo.... Other than that everything else is reloaded.
    National Rifle Association Life / Endowment
    California Rifle & Pistol Association / Life
    Garand Collectors Association
    Cast Bullet Association

Boolit Bub
    Occasionally. I buy factory for my home defence guns, and occasionally to try a new brand. I also keep a couple boxes of factory sitting around in the various calibers I shoot.
    But, even though I'm not casting my own bullets right now, I still shoot 99.5% cast out of my handguns. My rifle caliber long guns still get jacketed bullets.

Joe

Boolit Grand Master
    I've seen quite a few mention that they buy factory for their concealeds. I carry a 4.5" Ruger Vaquero and feed it 255 gr. round nose flap points. I figger if I can't stop or at least slow down an assailant with that, he must be armor plated. Neither do I believe I need a handful of rounds to do it. Either I'm gonna get off the first shot or I ain't. If I do get off the first round, 255 grains of hard cast at a little over a K of M/V oughta' get some kinda' results.
    TO ANSWER THE ORIGINAL QUESTION, it's been years since I bought any factory.

Other than 22 ammo, only very rarely. Most everything I shoot are my cast bullet reloads. I will occassionally buy factory ammo if that's the only way I can get brass for a given cartridge.
    Glen

Boolit Master
    Bout the same as the others, jword for the 7mm Rem Mag and the 22-250, did buy a box for the Marlin when I got it, all 3 of the peestols get cast now, but do have some jword bullits for them, Home Defence is handled by a 12ga that I reload with no. 6 shot, still working on getting a reload press for the 410 for hunting . Other than that I have to buy all the rounds for the 17HMR. So most on my stuff is reloaded by me WOOT
    Only dumb question is the one not asked

Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOoA

Boolit Bub
    The only factory loads I buy, handgun are those for concealed-carry use. Also rimfire ammo for the grandkids.

I probably shoot 100 reloads to 20 factory except .223 havent started
    to re-load for that yet but have about 300 pieces of brass accumulated.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast