Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingInline FabricationTitan Reloading
RepackboxRotoMetals2Load DataWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lubing with whip cream

Boolit Master

Lubing with whip cream

The temperiture has been running well over 100% here in my little section of paradise, 108 in the shade of our patio two days ago. I tried to lube some pistol bullets and you would have thought I as using whip cream for lube. I use Javalina lube which is what I always use because I have so much of it. I should also say it has worked in the past for the type of shooting I do. After a few messy bullets, I gave up and hit the couch. This heat and humidity are growing tiresome. We had a very hard rain yesterday which has made things much worse. I am curious as to how you fellows survive in Places like Louisiana, Mississipi, Alabama and Florida? I have been to all of those states in July and it was hot and sticky. I was born and raised in south east Missouri which was also a very humid place and it didn't bother me that much when I was young but it gets to me now in my sunset years.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Buddy
    Its about 50' from my house to my shop, this past weekend everytime I would have to go get something out my shop I would get dripping wet in about 1mins time. The humidity was horrible! The temp was only 91*, worst part is I am a welder/fabricator by day...

While we don't have the humidity here in Phoenix, AZ, we do have the heat. (it's about 113 outside right now). Everything is air-conditioned. If we need to do anything outside we do it very early in the morning. (I'm up at 5am). My neighbor is is a roofing contractor. He leaves the house at 4am and gets back home around 2pm.

Boolit Grand Master
    I am curious as to how you fellows survive in Places like Louisiana, Mississipi, Alabama and Florida?

How?...............................with VERY HIGH electric bills.

Ben

Boolit Master

Air conditioning

In July ,1973 I was sharing a bench with an elderly gentleman at Disney World in Orlando Florida. I asked him if he was born there and he said yes. I then asked how people survived in such heat and humidity? He said when he was young they slept under mosquito netting and didnit close windows. He also told me , before air conditiong, there were very few people here.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    I am curious as to how you fellows survive in Places like Louisiana, Mississipi, Alabama and Florida?

Ben
    Mine runs about 200 bucks a month 78 during the day and 73 at night. 7 foot ceilings help alot with keeping the electric bill down. But like I said 6 to 2:30 I am outside in a welding jacket sweating my butt off there are still alot of families who don't even have A/C or may have one small window unit due to poverty. It's all about becoming acclimated and drinking plenty of fluids...

Banned

Do not underrate Felix lube or air conditioning.

Gear

Banned

a bit of carnuba in the summer will raise the lubes melt temp also.

Super Moderator

.............My paternal grandparents had a farm outside Weiner, AR. About every 3 years or so we'd drive back for a visit. Of course it was in the summer when school was out. The 2 times I was old enough to remember (before they sold out and moved to Jonesboro) I'd wake up in the morning with a headache and feeling like I hadn't slept a wink, and that someone had come in during the night and beat me up with a 2x4. All they had was a couple box fans they'd put in the livingroom window to exhaust air from the house. So through the open bedroom window it'd sluggishly drag 98º air at 104% humidity across the bed.

I asked my dad how in heck they'd survived? He said he figured everyone lived that way, and what were the alternatives? He said NO ONE they knew had air conditioning and they knew nothing about it at the time anyway. I thnk I know now why he joined the Navy when he turned 18 in 1946

.............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Buddy

Speaking of Air temps I have had the opportunity to see some good extremes in the Air Force. I was stationed in Panama City, Fl for 6 years in the humid, heat. I am a F15 Crew chief so I work outside in the weather on a giant concrete heating pad with plenty of hot jet engine exhaust blasting me all day. Anyhow I am originally from North Carolina, the foot hills to be exact so it was hot and humid there too. Anyway I got used to the awful heat and as long as you drink lots of water it really ain't bad. Also in my travels I am now up in Alaska on the opposite side of heat. Now that I have been here for 3 years I sweat my rear off in 70 degree weather with no humidity. I went to Texas in May and man was it hot and humid. Anyhow you do get used to the climate if your out in the weather alot. My first year in Alaska we worked outside on an open ramp at -20 you can't get warm but after a few months I got used to it now it doesn't bother me. I guess it bothers some but I really prefer the cold. Heck last year it snowed in September and didn't melt until April.

Boolit Master
    Here in this part of AZ it can be 120 f and during the monsoon season a shower can raise humidity to quite high levels. This is a fact, the other day across the river in Needles, CA, temperature of falling rain was 115 f, supposed to be a record.

We have lived here for 20 years without AC, but have used evaporative (swamp) coolers to good effect so long as humidity does not exceed 50%, which thankfully it does not often do. It is laughable as to how many people have no idea how to utilize evaporative coolers or the maintenance of them.

I use 1:1 by volume coconut butter and beeswax with a tad of Mobil 1 oil lube in the high heat here. (120 f + is common) The NRA formula is a sad joke, when shop is not cooled, alox separates out of the beeswax and drips out of lubrisizers and if boolits are not stored nose down, will often contaminate powder.

Just be glad you don't live in the Washington Beltway area. We have humidity and politicians.

Boolit Master

When I moved to south FL back in 82 I couldn't believe how hot it was! But by the next summer it didn't seem nearly as hot. It's amazing how the body can adjust. When I moved up to TN a few years ago the winter seemed very cold. Again, by the next winter it wasn't nearly as cold. When I moved back to FL a few years ago the first summer seemed hot, but not nearly as hot as the first summer back in 82 felt. Now I don't mind the heat nearly as much as I used to, if it's from becoming used to it, or if getting older has anything to do with it, now I prefer warmer weather to colder.
    - MikeS

Want to checkout my feedback? It's here:
    http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/...d.php?t=136410

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch-1 View Post
    Just be glad you don't live in the Washington Beltway area. We have humidity and politicians.
    If I had a choice, I'd rather have the humidity!
    "with liberty and justice for all"...must be 18 or older, not available in all states, void where prohibited, some restrictions may apply. D. Stanhope

"The remedy for evil men is not the abrogation of the rights of law abiding citizens. The remedy for evil men is the gallows." Thomas Jefferson

"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them." George Mason Co-author of the Second Ammemdment

I am from Saskatchewan, born and raised.

We have the pleasure of having some of the coldest, and hottest weather in Canada.

it is not unusual for us to have a 85C temp swing between summer/winter. that is -49F to 104F (153Degrees swing F)

excerpt from h tt p://esask.uregina.ca/entry/meteorology.html
    The lowest temperature ever recorded in the province is -56.7°C, observed at Prince Albert on February 1, 1893. The windiest day was October 4, 1976, when maximum hourly wind speeds reached 142 km/hr in Melfort. And on July 3, 2000, 375 mm of rain fell on Vanguard in an eight-hour period, making it the most intensive storm ever recorded on the Canadian prairies.

only a few places on the planet that exceed that....

but Hey, its a Dry Heat/Cold
    I am ONLY responsible for what I Say!
    I am NOT responsible for what You THINK I Said!
    ====
    If numbers killed I'd hunt with a Calculator!

Boolit Master

Nanuk: You just need to move! Go North, go South, whatever. Just get out of there! I dont know how you stand it. I knew it got cold up there, but then to get 104 F in the summer? I would have to move!
    "with liberty and justice for all"...must be 18 or older, not available in all states, void where prohibited, some restrictions may apply. D. Stanhope

"The remedy for evil men is not the abrogation of the rights of law abiding citizens. The remedy for evil men is the gallows." Thomas Jefferson

"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them." George Mason Co-author of the Second Ammemdment

Boolit Buddy
    Nanuk: You just need to move! Go North, go South, whatever. Just get out of there! I dont know how you stand it. I knew it got cold up there, but then to get 104 F in the summer? I would have to move!
    Minnesota is similar, 174*F variation between our highest and lowest temp records.

I think I need to go up to Alaska, Ill take -30 before 100 in a heartbeat!

Boolit Mold
    MikeS pretty much nailed my thoughts. raised in florida my whole life, working in warehouses with no a/c since im a fabricator welder i guess im reaping what ive sewn. Now i live in Las Vegas, and while it gets 115 degrees... i will take 115 any day over 95 and humid... I laugh at people complaining of the heat here in vegas.... we used to say to the vacationers in florida.. It not the heat... its the humidity that gets you.

I regularly smoke cigars and pipe tabacco, when i am home in florida visiting my parents i often go out on the porch to smoke with my father, it will be 88 and humid and it feels miserable... i called my father the other day because i was out back of my house in Las vegas smoking a cigar and it was about 105 out and felt better then 88 in florida lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post

Ben
    I've always been amazed that I don't see more Solar Panels in Florida...

the idea of the sun powering the A/C seems an obvious route to lowering Electrcity costs...
    May we achieve our aims....

Boolit Master

I am trying to get my wife to move to Costa rica. We can double our standard of retirement while enjoying max daily temps of 76 F. It gets down to 60s at night.

The monsoon is from 2PM to 5PM during the rainy season. No mosquitos and the best beer in the western hemisphere.