Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionLoad Data
WidenersReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Titan Reloading

Thread: 45-110 and Powder

Boolit Master

45-110 and Powder

I have read where some of you fellas on here recommend Fg black powder over FFg. I wondered if you could explain why the coarser grade powder is preferable over the finer grade. In the 45-110 I am asking about. Thanks
    My mother always said I was the Flower of the Family, The Blooming Idiot

Boolit Master
    Truth be told I use it because Kenny W. and others here advised me to use it. It works very well and I haven't tried any other granulation.

Chris.

Boolit Master
    Double F will work but it ups the recoil factor some when getting up in the heavier bullet weights where the 110 shines. My favorite slug is Kenny's 560 gr. paper patch from Buffalo Arms. The single F works beautiful in my Sharps with this or several other molds I have. Just my opinion.

Boolit Master
    i load for a .50-70 .45-70 and .40-65 with 1 f it is more auccrite then 2f.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by giz189 View Post
    I have read where some of you fellas on here recommend Fg black powder over FFg. I wondered if you could explain why the coarser grade powder is preferable over the finer grade. In the 45-110 I am asking about. Thanks

Lower recoil using the 1F compared to the same volume of 2F powder.
    I am ordering a case of Goex 1F for use in my 110 and 45-90.
    NRA certified pistol instructor & RSO.

1F is a little slower powder. It seems to work better in the longer cases than 2F or above. I have a custom cartridge, based on the 42 Wesson/42-100 Wesson. It is a .429 using a 45-100 (45 2.6 case). I couldn't get it to shoot until I figured out that I should just treat it like a 110 and use 1F. After that it all came together.

I have 2 45-110's I shoot. I use plain old Goex 1F in each, and they are more than plenty accurate.

With a good rifle (brand unimportant, good rifle is) and some careful load development, along with a good bullet, you should be able to get 1.5 moa or better.

With a 110, (actually with all BPCR rifles) do your load development at 200 yds. Just forget the 100 yard stuff.

If you get your rifle shooting 1.5 moa at 200 it will hold together (for the most part) out to 1000 yards.

I use 1FG in all of my calibers from the .40-70 to the .50/2.5 Now that the Goex exp is gone I use 1.5 KIK.