Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingWidenersLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2RepackboxInline Fabrication
Load Data Reloading Everything

Thread: .303 British CB 180-200 grain loads with GREEN DOT

Question .303 British CB 180-200 grain loads with GREEN DOT

I am using a Lee mould that will drop a 180-183 grain bullet and another with a 200 grain bullet and would like to use GREEN DOT powder for a nice mild load for several .303 British rifles. Do you have to use fillers with this powder and do you all have a good load for this powder?

Boolit Master

Green Dot is one of my sleeper powders. I've had good results with in in various milsurp calibers including the 303 with 13 grains under a 314299 sized to .313.

A friend gave me an 8 lb. can that was barely used after he gave up shotshell reloading. You can't help but try it in different calibers (with common sense!)
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Boolit Grand Master

I have been wanting to try it myself but so far have not. I think I have Green Dot loads for .303 listed in one of my Lyman Cast Bullet manuals. I will take a look.

Most manuals are a little light on .303 British loads but many have quite a few for .30-40 Krag so that offers a good starting point too.

I am loading the NOE 0.314" x 129 gr. and NOE 316299 sized to 0.315" for my .303's. So far I have used mostly Unique and IMR4227 because I had lots of both. Green Dot is next on my to do list.

So, no I don't have a tried and tested load yet but may have loading manual recommendations and no, you shouldn't need a filler with Green Dot.

I have used COW over Unique with good results under plain base boolits but Unique doesn't need filler either for consistent burn.

Longbow

I have a shotgun powder I need a use for. It's AS30N or Clays which is similar to Red Dot. That's a bit faster than Green Dot but it's bulky. I have tried it in the Brit with lighter boolits but it locked the case neck in the chamber.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Boolit Grand Master
    Try here: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=13425

While I can't remember if Green Dot is listed in this thread or not, (it has been a year or two since I read it the last time) this is one of the first places I look for new to me calibers or powders used in full sized rifles.

Robert

Boolit Grand Master

Well, there you go, I was getting worried as I scanned through the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook, third ed. as it seems Green Dot is listed sporadically and somewhat randomly... but there are listings for .303 British:

- 150 gr. 311466 @ 10.5 to 14.0 gr. Green Dot (1715 FPS at max. load)
    - 200 gr. 311299 @ 10.0 to 13.5 gr. Green Dot (1515 FPS at max. load)
    - 210 gr. 311284 @ 9.5 to 13.0 gr. Green Dot (1425 FPS at max. load)

Pressures are not listed for .303.

Not sure why it is not listed for other similar size cartridges with similar weight boolits (.30-40 Krag for example) but is for .308, .30-06, 7.65 Argentine and others. Like I said sort of random.

Anyway, that should give you something to work with.

I will be interested in your results.

Longbow

Boolit Bub
    I have used AS30n under 312-155gn LEE and CBE 314-195GC and both are outstanding. Mild recoil, point of aim at 100m shooting. Works equally well in my Martini Artillary Carbine and Long rifle. I do not use Dacron or fillers.

Chrispy

Boolit Grand Master

I have never used it, but might be tempted to give it a try for 303.
    1ShirT1
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Boolit Master

Green Dot is an awesome powder. I use it in .30-30 in my light plinking loads, and the 7.7 Japanese as well. I am not home so I don't have my data handy, but I seem to think around 8-10 grains is what I load. The .30-30 is especially impressive, with both TV and plainbase boolits. I would be amazed if it did not do well in a .303 Brit.

I also use it in several shotshell gauges and some medium level handgun loads. It is probably my most loaded powder.
    Last edited by Patrick L; 08-11-2012 at 02:08 PM.