Snyders JerkyInline FabricationReloading EverythingLee Precision
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Out of luck at work,,,,,,,,,,,,,, again.

Super Moderator

Out of luck at work,,,,,,,,,,,,,, again.

..............I don't know what those jaspers back in Chattanooga do to the computer or if it's software or what. Only one desk now has the internet. Can't go to E-Bay as that defaults to the company's (Covenant Transport) home page. However for some time I couldn't access this, or any other firearms related site that had certain words. The computer would say "Violence and Profanity Blocked"

A couple months ago, all of a sudden I COULD Yet, this has happened before. But now last week, I can't anymore and there is a new info line up top on the screen. I don't know why I could, then couldn't, and then could etc. However if it was softwear related (timing out?) it looks like they have a new softwear package.

Bummer! What a drag

.............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Rick, couldn't you bring in your own computer (laptop) and plug into the Internet? What does the company use, DSL, wireless or what? All you got to do is connect to the provider, the blocking software is in their computers, wouldn't affect yours at all.
    Signed,
    Computer Expert
    Last edited by Scrounger; 05-11-2007 at 02:56 PM.

Super Moderator

............I don't know what they have, other then it's fast. Like blink, blink fast . I had a laptop. An old IBM Think pad with a 233ghz processor and running Windows 98 but it died.

...............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Master
    Are you guys sure?? I always thought that the server held the firewall protection(read censorship software) and that "ANYTHING" connected to that had to dance to "their" music???? Just my questioning $0.02..............Lee

On Heaven's Range

Rick, ah feeeeels yore PAIN (borrowed that line from ex-Pres. Bubba).

For several months, our Internet connection at the mine was administered through company headquarters in Toronto, and this site among others was "access denied". Funny, though...I could still get on Greybeard Outdoors, the M14 Forum and a few others.

Anyway, we are now back with a local server at the minesite, and all my usual haunts are available again. What a relief!

Sure do hope you find a way to get around this.
    Regards from BruceB in Nevada

"The .30'06 is never a mistake." - Colonel Townsend Whelen

If this company is like ours, all computers log onto a Domain. The blocking sofware for our company is at the server level, and is solely controlled by the IT pros and technicians at the company's main office.
    Oh and you can forget using a Proxy server, they block those too!

Well the computers out; maybe he can take in his lathe and get some work done....

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Scrounger View Post
    Rick, couldn't you bring in your own computer (laptop) and plug into the Internet? What does the company use, DSL, wireless or what? All you got to do is connect to the provider, the blocking software is in their computers, wouldn't affect yours at all.
    Signed,
    Computer Expert
    Scrounger, is that Mortimer Snerd? Got to be although I've never seen him. Used to listen to Bergan & McCarthy & Mortimer back in the 50's on the radio but never saw them on TV. Uh OH, didn't mean to Hijack.oh well. Regards, Woody
    Take a kid along

Boolit Master

BS, look at this info in Kim Komando's newsletter todayy

http://www.networkworld.com/news/200...e-web-use.html

Filters and spying on employees use of the companies computers
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Master
    ok its the COMPANY's hard and software..they get to do with it as they wish.

bring in a laptop and get a wireless connection........

you should not hook up to thier system as they could bill you for damage if i virus enter thru your machine.

personally i would quit and go to work for a better company.......

you'd still have the same issues...i just dont like who you work for.....
    only accurate rifles are interesting

In Remebrance

Covenant Transport ? Oooohhh! I deal with those guys a lot. They run trucks too, right?

Boolit Master
    I didn't even have a radio or a air-conditioner in the truck I drove, we were lucky to have a seat that had springs. They thought I should be delevering the customers freight and picking up more. Talk about narrow minded.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Tpr. Bret View Post
    Covenant Transport ? Oooohhh! I deal with those guys a lot. They run trucks too, right?

..............Yeah you might They have 3200 trucks. And if you ever see Star Transport or Southern Refridgerated Transport, that's Covenant too.

Mike in CO, "i just dont like who you work for....."

HA! I have my issues with them too, as a company. What did they do to you?

............Buckshot

Boolit Master
    hmmmmmm
    i dont like discussing politics and religion....but

its the little statement on the back of the trailer..

( ok...i'm pro choice, they are not. i do not believe men have the right to
    tell women what to do with thier bodies. its just my opinion, but the idea of a panel of male dominated judges determinining what a woman can and cannot do with her body rubs me the wrong way. notice this is not a religious view, just a person having the right to control her body)

mike in co
    only accurate rifles are interesting

Super Moderator

............Mike, I hear you. I am not a blanket 100% pro life. I feel there are instances when an abortion is the right thing to do. In instances of rape, life endangerment, or an unviable fetus.

Otherwise I am against abortion as a means of birth control, or in other instances, abortion on demand, no questions asked and no counseling given.

..............Buckshot

Boolit Man
    Rick, Your only option may be to get a laptop and use dialup. This is providing your site still has analog phone lines available for you to use. If your site has a phone system it will probably be digital and not compatible with a modem. If you can use a regular phone it is analog, if your site uses special phones it will likely be digital. It would be a pain going from broadban to dialup but ....

Good luck.

C.J.

Boolit Master

When I was working I would get the message that access was denied to "Weapons" sites. For some reason Graybeard was not filtered. I complained once that other guys could look at Victoria's Secret all day but my sites were filtered out. I guess they figured that since I was close to retirement, I wouldn't be interested in Victoria's Secret anyway.

He says the Internet is very fast. May be DSL but I'm inclined to think they have a T1 (or T2 or T3) line. Could he dial-up to his home provider on it?

Yup
    Work for the Mil. (army) Changes time to time. Sometimes no gun sights but can
    look a biker babe boobs or search for hot pink pantys.
    I would love to know why gun guys get treated like sex offenders. Should say not near as well.

Boolit Buddy
    I don't know how tightly they have you locked down, but one way around it is to see if they'll let you "remote desktop" to your machine at home. (There are tons of legitimate reasons why you might want to do this) If you do, then you'll be completely outside their control. You remote desktop to the machine at home and then use it's web browser to look at whatever sites you want. The company doesn't end up with any "offensive" IP traffic because all the sites you visit are going in/out via your broadband connection at your house. The "Remote Desktop" software is free on XP and later systems and I think was even available on some Win2k configurations. There are other solutions that are similiar such as Live Meeting, Webex, etc. that you could use as well.

Just my .02

Regards,
    Dave

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast