Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLee Precision
Snyders JerkyLoad DataWidenersRepackbox
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Do you like single shot guns?

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    The single shots are really growing on me. My Henry handles like an 18" carbine but still has the full 22" barrel. Really enjoy not full length sizing or worrying about whether a boolit will feed. As far as follow up shots go, where I hunt you aren't going to get a chance for a second shot if you miss so it's a non-issue.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Was <barrabruce> being sarcastic, or is his Holy Grail a .30 caliber chain gun?
    Cognitive Dissident

I hate to admit that my better days of hunting and shooting are past. I still take at least a deer every year as my wife and I both love eating the deer and for me with heart disease it’s the red meat I can eat as much as I like.
    I have always liked single shots, but love most all guns and at this point in my life I buy most any gun I like when it’s priced right. Need has nothing to do with what I own. I have studied single shots and find all of the ways that have been tried to fire just one shot fascinating and just like owning and shooting a lot of the antiques very enjoyable. So even though I own rifles with every type of action when I do go on a serious hunt I am usually carrying a single shot as they just feel right and if I shoot when the time is right I never need more.
    Jedman

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lbaize3 View Post
    Heck No! I hate the durned things.... Bought one and it would not put all the bullets in the same hole at 50 yards. Knew it wasn't me. I never miss.... It had to be the rifle, so I bought another one. Same dogone problem! So I bought another one, then another one. Now I got almost a full safe of the durned things....
    them dang guns aren't no good, get rid of them, send the all to me??

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgeezershooter View Post
    why would you need more than one shot?
    amen !

Boolit Master
    I have many single shots, along with all types of other actions, they all have their merits. if you should worry about more than one shot in any gun ? practice. only time you might need a second shot is if there are more than one critter in front of you?

Our ancestors pretty much wiped out all the large game east of the Mississippi with single shots, and they were mostly muzzleloaders at that.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    I certainly don't despise or decry single shot anythings. I own a 30" barreled 12 gauge goose gun, and a Winchester single-shot .22 LR. I don't have a single-shot pistol nor a single-shot centerfire rifle (yet). Were I to purchase the latter, it would have to be in some "special purpose" caliber that imparts a certain amount of "exoticness" to the rifle. I don't want it in any of the more common "Bubba" rounds that can be bought at most WalMarts or Academy Stores. Buying an elegant and exotic single-shot rifle, only to have it chambered in a "run of the mill" caliber just seems to me like making a special trip to Baskin-Robins, only to order VANILLA.
    I could see getting a 26" barreled Ruger #1 in .220 Swift, or 5.6x52 R, or even .219 Zipper. My access to open ranges in every direction, across which I may shoot very long distances at small critters with such rounds is a thing of the past, regrettably. But when I DID have access, I would have been well equipped with such a single-shot rifle.
    On the other end of the bore diameter spectrum, and well in the "if you only have one shot, make it a very powerful one" camp of thought, I could see buying a single-shot .470 NE, and knowing that I could drop anything on the planet with it. It could always be used for Grizzly, Kodiak, or Polar bear.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Master
    the above mentioned break open trebly took down 3 wallabies and a fallow deer today

LIFE IS GOOD.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I once had a single shot 12 gauge. I think it had the most recoil I have experienced.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    I once had a single shot 12 gauge. I think it had the most recoil I have experienced.
    that is because it would more than likely have been stupidly light in weight and full choked as so many are..... its the trap parents fall into when buying a gun for junior to learn with...light gun and heavy magnum shells boot the crap out of a fella... drop the charge or payload down..clay target loads are ideal where legal...and it becomes a neat gun to carry and use. I still often take single shot break open shotgun out after waterfowl..just because I can.

Boolit Grand Master

Nope, I hate all 17 that I own!
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Master
    I started with semis and bolt actions, but once I got my first single shot I was hooked. Any rifles I buy in the future will be single shots unless the application demands a repeater, like defense. I just don't see why you would put up with all the issues that come with repeaters if you don't have to, single shots are a far superior user experience in my opinion.
    I'm a big fan of data-driven decisions. You want to make me smile, show me a spreadsheet! Extra points for graphs and best-fit predictive equations.

I tend to only like the ones made between say....1870-1910. I have a sweet spot for the early breach loading days....
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    Was <barrabruce> being sarcastic, or is his Holy Grail a .30 caliber chain gun?
    Yes I was.
    I get told by that many people that they could decimate a whole herd of things in one foul swoop.
    My life experiences has been one good shot. And then things get all vocal and dust flying everywhere real fast.
    A fleeting well aimed poke at another animal or two if you are lucky.
    I prefer single shots.
    Thou a nice double would probably wouldn’t be out of the picture if I won lotto.

My present favourite is a short martini cadet chambered in 30-357 mag.
    5 lbs maybe a bit heavy but I think it covers a bit of ground for what purposes I could in visage.

Ha, depends on the need. Try driving framing nails all day with an 8# sledge if you think there is no need for different tools to meet the need.

I shoot cast in single shots, bolts, levers, revolvers and semi autos. Do not have a need for anything that shoots beyond the control point as needed for accurate aimed fire. Not in that business any more and the movie/comic book, spray and pray garbage, just does not appeal to me.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Bub
    When Ruger launched the No. 1, it was love at first sight. In my eyes, the most perfect blend of style and utility since the 912 Porsche. I have about a dozen from .22-250 up to .458 Win. I also have a couple of No. 3's, but they definitely look better when restocked to "No. 2" configuration. I hunt mostly with either a 7x57 or a .257 Roberts. Both are light enough to carry all day, and as many have stated, who needs more than one shot. I also have a Bullberry stocked TC with a selection of 14" barrels....So yup, I'm definitely a single shot fan.

Old Indian say: "One shot, deer. Two shots, maybe deer. Three shots, four shots, nothing."
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Bub

Quote Originally Posted by trails4u View Post
    I tend to only like the ones made between say....1870-1910. I have a sweet spot for the early breach loading days....
    This I can wholeheartedly agree with!

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast