Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionInline FabricationWideners
Load DataTitan ReloadingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Do you like single shot guns?

My first Shotgun was a Harrington & Richardson 20GA single shot shotgun. I use to go Duck Hunting with it and shot many Geese and Ducks! I still have it and probably always will!! I liked it so much I bought another one 10GA 36" Barrel "Goose Getter" I sold that though it kicked like a Mule!!

Oh, there's a rolling block 357 out there with my name on it! Not sure I'll be able to afford it though. Now that would get a lot of use.

I wouldn't buy a 303 single shot, I would want to build one if I had the bits. Thinking about it, if I had to buy the barrel I'd go for a 375-303. Mind you, a 25-303 would be nice on a single shot. I have a long 25-303 barrel, mmm .... It is on a rifle but that could be changed.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Quote Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
    Any chance of a series of photo's? What could be better than a falling block 22?
    H&R Buffalo Classic
    H&R Topper 20 gauge
    Savage Model 74
    Euroarms .58 Carbine

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    I didn't bother to look at the first four pages before squirting to the end of the thread.

"Do you like single shots"

First, Yes I do.

Second, has anybody said "NO" yet? (I'll bet not)
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Master
    Yes, yes I do. Like anybody needed to ask me. Been looking for a rolling block in 38-55 for some time now to add to the collection. Getting sidetracked with a single shot 20 gauge and 60 cal roundball lately.

Boolit Master

The first rifle I purchased was a Marlin 1894 in .41 Mag. I've always been more of a pistol shooter and I bought the Marlin to go with my pistol. I have since purchased other rifles, semi-autos in .22, .223, and 9mm. They are fun to shoot but didn't really get enthusiastic about shooting them more than my pistols. Then I got a single shot rifle, an H&R 1871 Classic Carbine in .45 Colt. I AM HOOKED!

I had always wanted a single shot to shoot cast boolits through and always figured on a handy rifle in 30-30. The stock on the handy rifle is plain Jane compared to the classic carbine. The color case hardened action just looks nice. Sure, it's no Ruger #1, it's not a High Wall, it's not a lot of other fancier rifles but it is just fun to shoot.

I like shooting iron sights and have been looking at the different accessory barrels that can be purchased with iron sights. I am seriously considering collecting several barrels just because. I like shooting rifles but I absolutely love shooting my single shot rifle. Frank

Boolit Grand Master

Hummm ... With a very few exceptions, ALL rifles are single shots. Some just reload faster.

Definitions, definitions, they will kill you.

That said, I like all my rifles!
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Thanks, Dademoss. Those are beauties!

I wonder what it would take to fit a 303 barrel inside a 12 gauge barrel? Adapting the barrel to fit the shotgun action could be quite tricky and lots of work. A project for the future maybe. (it's a new shotgun so not for chopping up).

303Guy, search for NOE's post on welding a barrel lug onto a new barrel.

you could use the same technique for a stubb!
    I am ONLY responsible for what I Say!
    I am NOT responsible for what You THINK I Said!
    ====
    If numbers killed I'd hunt with a Calculator!

Thinking about it, it would be relatively easy to make a threaded stub to accept a 303 Brit barrel. The main problem is I don't actually need one. What I need is a light weight 357 for plinking and generally having lots of fun with. Damn those taxes I have to pay!

In the meantime I do have a single shot 303 Brit. It's a Lee Enfield with the magazine spring and follower rusted out. It's great, all I do is slip a cartridge into the chamber, fire it and open the bolt and the spent case drops into the magazine box. I have a spent case catching single shot! And that magazine box fits all my MLE's and SMLE in 25/303 so I have lots of single shots. Perfect for bench shooting.
    Last edited by 303Guy; 08-04-2012 at 03:19 AM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
    Thinking about it, it would be relatively easy to make a threaded stub to accept a 303 Brit barrel. The main problem is I don't actually need one. What I need is a light weight 357 for plinking and generally having lots of fun with. Damn those taxes I have to pay!

In the meantime I do have a single shot 303 Brit. It's a Lee Enfield with the magazine spring and follower rusted out. It's great, all I do is slip a cartridge into the chamber, fire it and open the bolt and the spent case drops into the magazine box. I have a spent case catching single shot! And that magazine box fits all my MLE's and SMLE in 25/303 so I have lots of single shots. Perfect for bench shooting.
    Now that is making lemonade.*

Ed

* Just in case the saying isn't common in NZ, that is part of the saying "When life deals you lemons, make lemonade."

Yup. Love 'em.
    Also, I wonder how many of the people in this thread are even still alive.
    Looks like I've got a whole bunch of back-reading to do.
    Grumpy old man, single shot addict.

Yes – I like them;
    especially my .303 Martini-Enfield even because it is not easy to shot (poor Sights, verry hard Trigger...).
    The Pedersoli Sporting Sharps in .45-70 is a pleasure in comparison

I LOVE single shot guns. I have a whole collection of H&R Handi Rifles. I have a Rem Rolling Block, if I could afford a Martini Henry I'd be tempted. But I've had my fling with holy black, just as soon not go back down that road.

I tend to stay away from the average common guns. .30-06, .308, .270. Everyone and their mothers brother have one of them.
    The Dirty Thirty used to be in that list but it wiggled its way out. And the old .30-30 has earned its place in my collection.

For a cast boolit shooter you have to love the .30-30 with that long neck.

And to be honest, with a bit of practice a decent single shot is just as fast as the average guy at the range with a bolt.

Yeah I love single shots and I love how they make you think about the shot your taking. Is now the time? Or if I am a little patient will I get a better shot?
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Grand Master

My preference for one type of firearm over another is based on application. That being said I have a real soft spot for Trapdoor Springfield's and original Browning Highwalls just cause.

For a light responsive walking rifle I really like my Contender carbines. For shooting pararie dogs from prone not so much.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Single shots are no threat to the state, which will come by to collect your high-caliber magazine guns or tax them, so Joe Biden will let you keep them as long as you vote Democrat.

I want my single-shot to be an M79!
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post

I want my single-shot to be an M79!
    Now that is a break action I could love.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    I learned to shoot with a Lithgow single shot .22, first shotgun was Winchester single 12 gauge, shot big bore with Lithgow mod 44 in 7.62. I now have several Martini cadets in 357 max, 300BO based on a 357mag shell and 310 cadet and a Large 303 Martini which will soon be getting a new 308 barrel but still be a 303 Brit. Yes I love single shots and never feel under gunned, one shot one kill. Regards Stephen

Boolit Buddy
    I remember this thread, my collection has grown to over 15 Handi's, about a dozen Contenders and another dozen Encores, whew...............
    "People in Arizona carry guns," said Detective David Ramer, a Chandler police spokesman. You better be careful about who you are picking on...

Boolit Master
    There are only 2 single shot rifles I don't like and haven't found either yet.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast