MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Repackbox Inline Fabrication
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Do you like single shot guns?

Don't hate me, but.........

I do have an auto. 1909 Model 8 Remington, 30 Rem. Just that one though. Honest.

Owen

Boolit Buddy
    FOUL smellin!!! its an acquired taste like fine wine.

Boolit Master

I have this as a signature line on another forum...

"Pay heed to a man with a single shot rifle, he just may know how to use it."

It says allot, if you think on it.

YES, I like them, one well placed shot us usually all it takes, with practice, multiple well placed shots are very probable.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Master
    I think John Browning's High Wall and Low Wall designs are two of the most perfect mechanical designs on the planet. Super strong, adaptable to a wide range of cartridges, born in BP times but strong enough for smokeless, accurate, self cocking, visible hammer with a nice tang for a sight.....
    EDG

There's at least one I need to get when I have some money.

Owen

Boolit Master
    I love the single shots. My first gun was a 20 gauge single. Lots of bunnies, squirrels, and birds went into the pot with it and several .22 single shots. Always get strange looks at the range since I am not one to follow the latest fashion trends for gun types,accessories, and calibers. I have been practicing reloading my Martini in .30-40 Improved from a wrist shell holder in case I need a second shot this fall.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiwall55 View Post
    Somewhat different. There are no wines which I love, but dislike the taste. I don't think I will acquire a love of the smell. I already have a love of shooting Black, and shooting the old timers. No matter, I will not stop shooting BP. Liking the smell is not necessary to enjoy the shooting.

Ed

Boolit Master

Ed of course the stuff stinks I was just having a little fun, it's actually quite a joke at my place after a BP shooting session because my wife dares me to bring that stinking thing into the house until I clean it. Even some of my shooting buddies have the "oh no not again" attitude when I bring out the the BP loads but I love the stuff even if the smell is a bit on the foul side.

Boolit Master

I own a couple singles, but bar none, the worst recoil I have ever experienced came from a light weight single shot 12 gauge with a solid butt plate. I was flinching after the first shell and done after 5. Call me a pansy but I'll shoot a 7 mag all day long.

maybe im a weird duck...i was being a little joking when i said i considered bp as "foul smelling"...i have 'learned' to like the smell as it shoots and relish it when the wind is back towards my face when i yank the trigger...as for cleaning i always pick up all the patchs when im done and put them in a ziplock baggie and when i get it full i always smell the contents of the bag before i zip it shut. likewise the smell of ballistol juice...when i first got my first can of the stuff i thought...woww ill never get used to that smell...but walla...i enjoy the sweet aroma of the ballistol oil/cleaner for the fine smell it exhudes.

there is not much i dont like about my bp singles. i am a bit dismayed at the prospect that my eyes are south enough that i need a scope site for fine shooting tho. ho hum...least i can still spend a fine afternoon shooting and smelling my now favorite aroma's

STUPID SINGLESHOTS ANYWAY !!!

Quote Originally Posted by oldgeezershooter View Post
    Why would you need more than one shot?
    Cause there might be more than ONE deer tag in my pocket, and more than one standing there waiting for me to skin 'em out

Quote Originally Posted by Hiwall55 View Post
    I guess I was Lucky! I never acquired a taste for fine wine.

I took to the Cheap stuff like a baby to Mother's Milk.

Cheap whiskey too!

But beer?? I like the finer taste of Guinness!
    I am ONLY responsible for what I Say!
    I am NOT responsible for what You THINK I Said!
    ====
    If numbers killed I'd hunt with a Calculator!

Boolit Master
    Who cares. I like all firearms. I really do not feel my taste is any better than yours. I have quite a few ss rifles but my real passion is milsurps.
    "It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees" Looking for an RCBS Ammomaster and H&R shotgun barrels regardless of condition

I got my start with single shots, an ancient falling block .22 of some sort was the gun my Dad had, so that's what I shot early on.

My first rifle was a .58 musket, then a .58 carbine.

I currently have a a couple .22, 20 gauge, 45/70 buffalo classic and the .58s

Boolit Master

I love all kinds of projectile launchers. Especially the ones that let me hit little tiny targets WAAAAY out there it does not matter.

Boolit Master
    Great thread!!!!
    I love single shots, but we all may wish we had a machine-gun before it's all over. Especialy if you know who gets elected again.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oldred View Post
    Ed of course the stuff stinks I was just having a little fun, it's actually quite a joke at my place after a BP shooting session because my wife dares me to bring that stinking thing into the house until I clean it. Even some of my shooting buddies have the "oh no not again" attitude when I bring out the the BP loads but I love the stuff even if the smell is a bit on the foul side.
    I like to have my wife go shooting with me, but she draws the line at BP.

Ed

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by nanuk View Post
    Cause there might be more than ONE deer tag in my pocket, and more than one standing there waiting for me to skin 'em out

I guess I was Lucky! I never acquired a taste for fine wine.

I took to the Cheap stuff like a baby to Mother's Milk.

Cheap whiskey too!

But beer?? I like the finer taste of Guinness!
    My taste in beer is eclectic - LaBatt's Blue, Beck's or Dos Equis. MGD in domestics. Weissbier too. And Belgian Wheat Ale. Almost any of the local German beers I had in the early '60s. And...

Ed

only one SS . .. an original pritty beatup .310 cadet, great little rifle to carry hunt plink shoot with . . . should never have sold the .45 martini . . . cheers

I got my start with single shots, an ancient falling block .22 of some sort was the gun my Dad had, so that's what I shot early on.
    Any chance of a series of photo's? What could be better than a falling block 22?

For what it's worth, I have a hankering for a break action single. I've made a magazine bolt action 22 into single shot and bought another single shot 22 but a break action rifle is what appeals to me. Long barrels that go all the way to the butt!

I had a Mini-14 once. Semi auto and all. I never once fired it in repeat mode. In fact, in the field I would pick up the spent case before firing the next shot. And I'm talking of hunting.

But a magazine rifle is handy for carrying the ammunition for the day (assuming it's a 303 Brit with a 10 round magazine!)

One day I'll get myself a single shot break action rifle. But I want it in 303 Brit.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
    snip

One day I'll get myself a single shot break action rifle. But I want it in 303 Brit.
    I would have thought, if looking for a single shot .303, you'd stand a better chance of finding a M-H conversion in New Zealand. But I've been wrong before - SWMBO tells me so.

Ed

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast