Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingTitan Reloading
WidenersLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Load Data Repackbox
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Do you like single shot guns?

love my single shots I have 12 of them from 22 t0 9.3x74R great fun.
    Last edited by gandydancer; 07-30-2012 at 08:04 PM.
    "The good sense of the people will always be found to be the best army.They may be led astray for a moment,but will soon correct themselves" - Thomas Jefferson

I wasn't Born in the south but I got there as soon as I could.
    I like this site. MOSTLY good people. good ideas.

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't!!
    "Either this man is dead or my watch has stopped." — Groucho Marx

"We are born naked, wet, and hungry. Then things get worse"

Quote Originally Posted by hightime View Post
    I'd say if you didn't know about it on two other posts, You're blessed.
    +1 Thanks.

ok

have several single shots - enjoy them all

Boolit Master
    Yes I do. I like em all, but mostly I collect and shoot No. 1s, but I have semis, pumps, bolts, doubles, wheelguns, leverguns, air guns and front stuffers. I like reading and seeing what others shoot that I don't have.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Do you like single shots?
    You bet! Some pictures of the latest ...

Last edited by John Boy; 07-30-2012 at 07:30 PM.
    Regards
    John

Fantastic!! I'm speachless.

Owen

I have several single shots and i enjoy the simple pleasure of making a single well placed shot weather it be at the range or in the field. I kow you can do the same with a wepon with a magazine but its the thought that there is just one in the pipe and you need to make it count.
    Why Johnny Ringo you look like someone just walked over your grave.

Boolit Master
    I have single shot handguns, TC Contenders. They still outshoot the semi-autos on the shooting range. You can't hardly beat a good single shot. And, as you just showed us, they're beautiful as well.

I don't know where I saw this quote either:

Pay heed the man with the single shot, chances are, he knows how to use it.

Now, I like that saying!
    In all, the .41 Magnum would be one of my top choices for an all-around handgun if I were allowed to have only one. - Bart Skelton

Boolit Bub

If im reading the topic correct,

I dont mind whatever anyone wants to shoot, as long as they are a safe shooter! I like all guns and thats the beauty of selection, you can shoot what you like and thats how it should always be!!!
    I have a few leverguns that i have outshot a few boltguns with, so it all comes down to if its got the accuracy or it dont. Its the same as some shooters/hunters, either you can shoot good or you cant, Period!!!

Now as far as accuracy goes, i think that a good SS will hang in there with most boltguns, i think its either gonna shoot good or its not gonna shoot good.
    Now, if your askin if i like single shots than my answer is, YEP! I sure do, i have a few TC Encores and Contenders in rifle/shotgun/handgun/ML flavors, and i hope to someday have a couple Ruger#1's, those are true Beauties in my eye... I would like to have them in 45-70, 243 and something in a long action 270/3006 ???.. Single shot shotguns to me they are a good meat N tater gun, i never have reallly warmed up to them too much, but they are a good gun for putting meat in the pot.
    Well i hope i answered the question as it was meant to be read and answered...

Good luck to y'all
    BloodGroove4570

Most times when i see someone with a singleshot, i dont wonder if they are a good shot, ut if i see you with a semiauto, the thought always crosses my mind...
    Last edited by BloodGroove4570; 07-30-2012 at 07:54 PM.

I do most of my hunting with contenders. But I enjoy shooting just about everything. I've got pumps, bolt actions, semi auto's and enjoy them all. Been looking at some AR's . Shot a friend 's and was very impressed. Still the older I get (59 and holding) I'd rather hunt with something light and accurrate. I believe that everyone should shoot what they enjoy as long as they do it safely.
    P.S. I also enjoy revolvers

Boolit Bub
    Me too!! I like single shot rifles, I have seven from .243-45-70.

Boolit Master
    I have a few to hunt, target with rifle, hunt with shot. The older I get the more it seems ok. You watch TV and I think you need about 2k worth to kill a gobbler, I am sorry, but I have smacked more than a few with a 37A single poke that is a little rusty with cheap wood and a pair of Levi's. I have a couple HI-Walls I do not like to think how much is in them. My first shotgun, 37A single poke.
    Love them or hate them, you do not find many in the middle. Gtek

Started with a Ballard. Then another Ballard. They bred in the safe and now there are four. Somehow they also bred a litter of Stevens 44s and 44 1/2s. The Stevens' wanted discipline so a couple of Hiwalls were brought in to keep them in line. Now I've lost count - I think there may be two dozen of the things. Beginning to seem like that Star Trek episode about tribbles.

Yes, I hunt with 'em. If I can't drop it with one shot, I should be closer.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Buddy
    They're great, my first shotgun was a single until it got stolen, years later I bought an H&R .270, a nice safe gun for my son to start hunting with me, I liked it so much I now have them in .25/06, .30/06, .243, .308 and several barrels for my 2 contenders, a first gen. and a G2.

Wow, I just realized that I've done a lot of reading and no posting, guess I'll have to fix that.

i hate the dang things!!! they are obnoxious in the simplicity and sleek lines. the darn things just keep calling out my name and wispering sweet nothings in the night. have been shooting the stupid things since around 1970 or such and still cant shake em. now they wispered a sweet speech about the style of yester-year and the black kinda powder that made such a hidious smell and sparks flying around thru such a huge cloud of smoke till i had to sucomb to such ownership as hiwall and sharps style rifles...oh wowww is me...what ever will i do with such a sickness?

i will take this opertunity to submitt to you that IF you have not sucombed to this terrible crush on these hideious singleshot rifles....then run as fast as you can for the black rifles or anything at all but a singleshot rifle! this is a road that makes its users weaker by the mile and will end up in disaster ...being seductive to any friends or small children around the area that WILL be addicted in short oerder.

BE VEWWY CARWEFILL !!!!!!!.......DO I LIKE SINGLESHOT RIFLES INDEED.......HA!!!

We are all shooters, so does it matter how many barrels we have.
    We dont argue on barrels of beer at the pub, just drink it.

Here to enjoy, no matter what the fire power.

I love my coey single barrel 12 gauge and BSA single barrel 410

Boolit Master
    I love single shot rifles.

Long barrels.
    Black powder
    Long barrels.
    Modern powder
    Long barrels.
    Beeg Honkin calibers that rock you back on your heels
    Long Barrels
    Historical rifles (currently puttin away some money for a rolling block)
    Long barrels
    Case hardened receivers
    Long barrels
    Every gun I own, pistols and rifles, has a hammer. I love hammers on my guns.
    Long Barrels
    Vernier tang sights for the long shot
    Long Barrels
    Low maintenance
    Long barrels.
    Double set triggers
    Long barrels.
    Will shoot whatever bullet I put in it rather than being limited to the manufacturer's specs. (114 grn RB to 600 grn long distance loads
    Long barrels.
    With a long barrel and sufficient caliber can be used as shotgun

Did I mention long, long barrrels that go all the way up to their butt (stocks)?

Boolit Master
    For rifles single shots are OK. I'm kinda a ML guy and have way too many of them and that means quite are relegated to safe queen status which is not what they deserve. For "serious" shooting, I'm a fur hunter and trapper and that means $ involved, it's repeaters only. For shotguns it's pretty much dbl barrels, pumps and 10 ga autos! Do have 1 single shot 12 ga with 20 ga. insert that I use to get the kids ready for a real gun. Yeah, single shot rifles are OK for targets and "sport" hunting. I guess soon enough there won't even be a poll like this as the Obamanistas will have all of us shooting nothing but long bows. FREEDOM!
    10 gauge: as per Robert Ruark, "use enough gun"

MOLON LABE

"I have a list, and am prepared for widespread civil disorder!" 10 ga

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bigted View Post
    snip about the style of yester-year and the black kinda powder that made such a hidious smell and sparks flying around thru such a huge cloud of smoke till i had to sucomb to such ownership as hiwall and sharps style rifles...oh wowww is me...what ever will i do with such a sickness?
    Thanks Ted. I was beginning to think I was the only BP cartridge shooter who finds BP is pretty foul smelling. But I still love it. Not a single shot, but my most recent BP is a Dutch Beaumont-Vitali 1871-1888. But not to fear - I have 9 single shots (11 if you count Encore barrels as a separate rifle), and 7 of those are BP. And the Beaumont started life as a single shot before the Vitali magazine was added.

Ed

Oops, forgot 1 - 10 (or 12) and the one I forgot is a Browning .45-70 so could be BP or smokeless.
    Last edited by Ed in North Texas; 07-31-2012 at 07:46 PM. Reason: Added info

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ed in North Texas View Post
    I was beginning to think I was the only BP cartridge shooter who finds BP is pretty foul smelling.

FOUL SMELLIN!!! show some repect here! BP emits an intoxicating aroma that's highly addictive but it ain't FOUL SMELLIN!

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast