MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyInline FabricationLoad Data
WidenersLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Titan Reloading Repackbox
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Which bullet caster?

Boolit Buddy
    I was going through this a couple years back, I passed on both units and picked up a used Bullet Master instead , gave $2400 unit & molds, have seen 5 so far this year for less $$

Can mix moulds as long as their within 25 gr IIRC

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by finishman2000 View Post
    and you just love to hear yourself talk. gawd i have to stop watching these kinda posts
    Fine... I'll quit posting

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    No need for posts like that on this board.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Quote Originally Posted by ballisti-cast View Post
    We're re-doing the Mark IV right now. I have prototypes going out to a couple of different customers in the next few weeks. When I get some feedback on them I'll be ready to make a batch of them. The time frame of when they'll be ready is somewhere in the 3-6 month range, depending on how much time I can spend on them. Pricing is going to be as close to the master caster as I can get it for the base model and then there'll be optional features that add speed and convenience available as well. The molds are attached using quick release pins which makes mold changing take almost no time, and they also can't come loose. The molds are held on the current machine by allen style cap screws, which take a minute or two to swap out and need to be tightened down once more after the molds get hot.
    Look forward to the new machine. I do however like the allen type cap screw set up on my Mark II better than the pin retainer on my Master Caster. That just me.

It wouldn't be any harder to put a screw in it then a pin. The issue with the screws now is that you have to make sure they don't come loose. The new style mold holders go around both the top and bottom of the mold key so threading the mold carrier and using a screw won't be anymore work and there'll be twice as many threads grabbing the screw so that should help keep them tight. I'll make it an option.

It's a pain to change moulds on my MC. You try to hold the mould/carrier still with one hand, hold the punch with another, swing the hammer with my third hand, & still catch the pin & mould. When going back in with the mould you have to hold the carrier, the mould, the pin, the punch & the hammer. It's just easier for me to do the screw thing but again that's just me.

Boolit Buddy
    use a punch to hold the other side mold while you pin the other one.

Quote Originally Posted by finishman2000 View Post
    use a punch to hold the other side mold while you pin the other one.
    That's how I do it. Once you get the mold in place, just drop the punch into the other hole and let the spring tension of the carrier hold them while you drive in the roll pin.

Hope this helps.

Fred

Angus
    I've been doing a fair amount of research yet I hadn't heard this line of thinking. Not that it would have changed my approach, but I recently bought a Bullet Master with 16 moulds.

Why do you say within 25 grains ? Is that due to cooling time differences ?

I have a full set of 9mm 158 grain moulds, all the same. I also have a number of 45 moulds, some 185 grains and some 200 grains and some 9mm SWCs. I'd like to find some 230s or even 255s.

Quote Originally Posted by angus6 View Post
    I was going through this a couple years back, I passed on both units and picked up a used Bullet Master instead , gave $2400 unit & molds, have seen 5 so far this year for less $$

Can mix moulds as long as their within 25 gr IIRC
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TC2xTCb_GU

Have you ever heard of an anchor holding SLOW ?
    As far as some of us on this forum, we don't bite; We shoot !
    To see my images at imgur.com
    sign in as BOOLITCASTER
    password - 123456789

Quote Originally Posted by ReloaderFred View Post
    That's how I do it. Once you get the mold in place, just drop the punch into the other hole and let the spring tension of the carrier hold them while you drive in the roll pin.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    Thanks guys, need to purchase a second punch.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123