Load DataRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionWidenersRepackbox
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: 300 AAC Blackout

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by rsilvers View Post
    Yes, I am the project lead for 300 BLK at AAC.
    Thank you for your input in this discussion. Facts are facts and the ballistic info you have provided is excellent. Where I live probably 85-90% of the Deer harvested every year probably takes place within 50-75yds. We have lots of trees and brush. I'm not concerned with or about shooting at a 300+yd target, I can't hardly see that far anyhow. Those who live around here that have the ability to shoot longer distances go for the .338 or in my grandson's case a 7mm WSM. I use my 300AAC for fun and targets. I want some meat to eat I usually go for Cow.
    Again, thanks for your input.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by garym1a2 View Post
    What's a good barrel for shooting cast boolits in the 150 to 200 grain size?
    1/8 twist will shoot the 247 grain.

Boolit Master
    I am thinking more of a gas check round in the 150 to 200 range. No need for me to go subsonic.

1/8 twist will shoot the 247 grain.

I am thinking more of a gas check round in the 150 to 200 range. No need for me to go subsonic.
    A 10-12 twist would be the most cast friendly for the mid weight bullets. I have a 12 twist and can still shoot 200 gr cast bullets fine.
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Boolit Master
    All I see online is 1:8 for the ARs.

Quote Originally Posted by RU shooter View Post
    A 10-12 twist would be the most cast friendly for the mid weight bullets. I have a 12 twist and can still shoot 200 gr cast bullets fine.

All I see online is 1:8 for the ARs.
    Heres one

http://shop.redxarms.com/STRAIGHT-FL...UTED300AAC.htm Black Hole Weaponry also make a 1:11 but its a polygonal rifling There are a few guys that will make them up to order
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Boolit Grand Master
    rs, I have no doubt the Blackout bullet provides controlled expansion under a wide range of conditions.......provided the expansion threshold for the bullet is not compromised by low velocity.

Since deer hunting is not combat, nor life and death, best to err on the side of known performance and higher energy. Again, that's all I'm saying. If I disliked the round that much I never would have bought an upper for it, but the ease of conversion and the provision of something different with minimal changes and the usage of the same magazine in the AR platform was appealing.
    Last edited by 35remington; 08-20-2012 at 08:53 PM.

Boolit Master
    Many years ago I read about the 300 fireball looking for something to convert range brass to. I am not really a fan of the .223, but had gobs of brass for it, and needed some way to use it up since it is so common. When I found out how much a pain it would be cutting, re-sizing,reaming, and the fact .223 brass wasn't as good as .221 for the conversion I lost interest. By accident last year I came across the 300 AAC Blackout. Finally I had a use for that brass! Two weeks later my first 300 Blackout was built. Haven't looked back since. It has been so fun to shoot I had to build a pistol too! Unfortunately, factory ammunition has been non-existent here, and everyone I tell about this new round knows nothing about it. I hope that changes soon. So far my 300 Blackout's have never seen a factory round. Not that it matters, but it would be nice to gauge my hand-loads against the factory offerings. I would turn more people on to it if ammunition was more commonly available out here.
    xacex

Boolit Master
    I saw that. I just don't order powder, primers, or ammunition over the internet. Call me paranoid, but there is something about it that makes me fell uncomfortable. All the reloading supplies other than bullet molds,or dies I get locally, and I am not the only one that feels that way up here.

xacex

Boolit Mold
    I'm a huge fan of the 30 caliber bullets. How much a bullet expands is not a big deal to me probably because I'm not a dear hunter. Pointy 30 caliber bullets have been proven good for hunting two legged creatures for a century now and that's plenty good for me. Marines in Iraq where routinely taking shot at 500 yards with 556 a 22 caliber projectile that doesn't even tumble after 150 yards out of a 20 barrel. The

AK47 has done OK without relying on expansion(It's killed hundreds of millions and continues to kill 1/4 mil every year). I believe that the fact that so many people are shooting 22 caliber bullets 556/223 has fuels this fixation on expanding, tumbling, braking apart and whatever else helps them overcome their small size.

The belief that only expanding bullets make for 'a humane kill' sort off goes against the Geneva conventions reasoning behinds prohibiting expanding bullets in war. See M118 ammo

Longwood
    Quote Originally Posted by T888 View Post
    I'm a huge fan of the 30 caliber bullets. How much a bullet expands is not a big deal to me probably because I'm not a dear hunter. Pointy 30 caliber bullets have been proven good for hunting two legged creatures for a century now and that's plenty good for me. Marines in Iraq where routinely taking shot at 500 yards with 556 a 22 caliber projectile that doesn't even tumble after 150 yards out of a 20 barrel. The

AK47 has done OK without relying on expansion(It's killed hundreds of millions and continues to kill 1/4 mil every year). I believe that the fact that so many people are shooting 22 caliber bullets 556/223 has fuels this fixation on expanding, tumbling, braking apart and whatever else helps them overcome their small size.

The belief that only expanding bullets make for 'a humane kill' sort off goes against the Geneva conventions reasoning behinds prohibiting expanding bullets in war. See M118 ammo
    The 5.56 bullet is meant to wound people instead of killing them.
    None of mine ever tumbled unless they hit something. Even from a ten inch barrel.
    My very short 93 grain Luger bullets in 30 cal don't tumble either. Even when shot from a 30-06.
    The fixation on expanding began way long before anyone ever thought of using a nearly worthless bullet for hunting..

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Longwood View Post
    None of mine ever tumbled unless they hit something. Even from a ten inch barrel.
    My very short 93 grain Luger bullets in 30 cal don't tumble either. Even when shot from a 30-06.
    The fixation on expanding began way long before anyone ever thought of using a nearly worthless bullet for hunting..
    Your thinking of 'Key-holing.' 223/556 are supposed to tumble after hitting a few inches(more like 13) of soft tissue.

Boolit Master

While you might experience some yaw with a long spitzer bullet, the myth of the tumbling bullet is something else entirely.

Please note the following:

http://anarchangel.blogspot.com/2007...-tumbling.html

Longwood
    Your thinking of 'Key-holing.' 223/556 are supposed to tumble after hitting a few inches(more like 13) of soft tissue.

OK,,,, None of my bullets tumble, slew, hit side on, and or make keyholes.
    Did you read the part where I said "Hit something"?

Boolit Bub
    The Geneva convention does not prohibit expanding bullets in war. Even if it did, that was like forever ago and they did not know anything. Besides, they are politicians.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Moonie View Post
    While you might experience some yaw with a long spitzer bullet, the myth of the tumbling bullet is something else entirely.

Please note the following:

http://anarchangel.blogspot.com/2007...-tumbling.html
    Thanks for posting that Moonie, It's a nice read.

In his article he states basically that the m4 is a 125m rifle. LOL

plus this

'This is the root of the ammo controversy for the M16/AR platform. Since we can't use an expanding bullet (Hague convention), we are limited to using a disintegrating bullet; or to changing our wounding mechanism entirely and using a much heavier bullet which will produce a greater wounding effect without having to disintegrate.'

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Longwood View Post
    Longwood I do see your point. By the way how hot are you loading those 30 cal's in 30-06? I have some 110 30 carbine bullets that I've loaded in 300 BLK and plan to put in my 308.

Boolit Master
    The Geneva convention does not prohibit expanding bullets in war. Even if it did, that was like forever ago and they did not know anything. Besides, they are politicians.
    It's the Hague(SP?) accords that ban hollow point ammo. A treaty that the US is NOT a party to.

Boolit Buddy

Wink since we are talkin about the blackout,

First off wanted to thank R Silvers for his effort in bringing the 300AAC to life and getting it a standardized cartridge,
    just cannot thank you enough

when I was at knob creek many yrs back, and heard the whisper on the range, basicly a phut/ clang- really quiet, which had me hooked for life, then after contacting JD and his out ragous prices on things put big damper on things and then finally got the whisper out of my mind,

then having a friend tell me about this new round called the 300AAC got my intrest up , a better whisper, standardized chamber, brass from 223, ect, yeehaw, have gone stir crazy ever since, got a upper and am working on a bolt gun , and waiting on my paperwork to clear for the can,
    the last 10yrs have really been the hardest times of my life, and got to say something as simple as this blackout coming out, has brightened things up , have not gotten this excited about something in over 20 yrs

then finding this site, and then finding NOE was making a mold(got one)
    what can I say, things are brighter yet, plink for pennies with something you always wanted for a toy,

again a big thanks to R Silvers and the others in the background who brought new life to the whisper as the blackout now, with everything standardized
    best one of the month,

about unique and IMR unequal, They really did duplicate it, made it equally unobtainable

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast