Load DataLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationRepackboxReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Wideners
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: 300 AAC Blackout

Boolit Master
    I had encouraging luck today with the Ranch Dog 165 tumble lube bullet in the plain base variant. Air cooled wheel weights, sized .310 and lubed with Recluse 45/45/10 in front of 16.0 AA data powder 2220 went into about 2.75" for 10 shots at 100 yards. That's my best luck with plain based yet.

I'm pleased that I managed to do that with a plain based bullet that can be tumble lubed and used with the push-thre sizer.

Bad luck with a Lyman 311291 because it turns out the nose is too fat for me to seat them flush with the bottom of the neck. They wouldn't chamber so I have no idea how they will shoot. Guess I should have checked that before I loaded up 50 of them, don't you think?
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Elkins45 View Post
    They wouldn't chamber so I have no idea how they will shoot. Guess I should have checked that before I loaded up 50 of them, don't you think?
    AR's shoot them so quickly that the idea of loading just a few goes against the grain. Not like its a bolt action 30-06.

Boolit Master
    RU shooter
    I have some IMR4198 what load you using? Disreguard I reread your other post!

I guess I can give 15.5 gr as a start and work up! I just never had good luck with 4198.
    Last edited by Gunnut 45/454; 08-09-2012 at 01:29 AM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Moonie View Post
    AR's shoot them so quickly that the idea of loading just a few goes against the grain. Not like its a bolt action 30-06.
    I agree! that's only 1 and 2/3 magazines full! I usually load 50 for a test anyway.

xacex

Boolit Master
    RU shooter
    Well I loaded up 10 rounds with a load of IMR 4198 and my Cast PB 170gr, COAL 1.920". Got full function in my 16" carbine but the group was so so 3-4" at 25 yards. The wind was blowing pretty good so I'm not going to read to much into the group. Next load will be 15.2gr as I think it's pushing these bullets to fast at 15.5 gr -didn't chorny them I'll wait until I find a decent group.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnut 45/454 View Post
    RU shooter
    Well I loaded up 10 rounds with a load of IMR 4198 and my Cast PB 170gr, COAL 1.920". Got full function in my 16" carbine but the group was so so 3-4" at 25 yards. The wind was blowing pretty good so I'm not going to read to much into the group. Next load will be 15.2gr as I think it's pushing these bullets to fast at 15.5 gr -didn't chorny them I'll wait until I find a decent group.
    I'd like to hear what velocity your getting , Also give RE 7 a go if you have it some of my bullets like one some the other .
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Boolit Master
    RU shooter
    Well shot the 15.2 gr and they were nasty inaccurate! I guess I need to go the other way! So I'll go back to 15.5gr a chrony them.

Boolit Master

Keep in mind that brass that is made from cut down 5.56/223 have been known to be inaccurate unless annealed. Also a good crimp also helps with accuracy. Both of these things help to ensure ignition is as close to the same from round to round which helps reduce velocity differences between rounds and contributes to accuracy.

anyone running gas checks for 300 blackout? I'd like to get this mold for subsonic to run thru my 9 inch SBR with cyclone suppressor.

http://noebulletmolds.com/orders/cat...roducts_id=203

Boolit Grand Master
    I use GC's in my 300blk, but I am running well above sonic. I run the NOE 247 at around 1275 so far using 1680 and have run 115's well over 2000fps.

I have both PB and GC versions of the 247. So far, accuracy wise, the nod goes to the GC version.

Boolit Master
    Can I ask a really dumb question!? What is the attraction of the 300 BO that can't be done with most small cased 30 calibers cartridges.
    This isn't a setup question. I am wondering why.
    Kevin

Boolit Grand Master
    It feeds properly through the AR action. The 7.62X 39 does not, as the tapered case needs a curved magazine that does not fit the straight magwell of the AR 15. It's also a subsonic suitable cartridge due to its small size.

Believe me, if somebody could get the 7.62 X 39 to work 100 percent, nobody would shoot the blackout, save the subsonic wannabes. The blackout falls short of 7.62 X 39 ballistics, and the cartridges are much more expensive.

Boolit Master
    So the pluses are.
    1 shot in a semi-auto rifle, at sub-sonic or sonic speeds
    2 small size case IE minimal powder.
    OK not my bag. But if you are interested in the concept. Have FUN.
    Kevin

Boolit Mold
    Figured I'd pop my load on here.

M80 147gr 30-06 milsurp pull.
    17.5gr of H110
    CCI Small Rifle NonMag primer
    COAL 2.015

My group at 50yds was around the size of a quarter. This from a 16' non chrome lined barrel made by Stoner. I may have been able to do better, however my optic is an EoTech L3, so I'm happy as it is.

Next step is a chrono and distance work. I'm guessing around 2k fps.

Also, I didn't crimp these rounds. The neck tension is suitable enough considering I have m4 feed ramps and I'm not shooting it out of a machine gun.

Boolit Master

I have used gas checks with my 170gr lee boolits but I shoot my 245C boolits sans check, I only install the checks for the 30-06 with those.

Quote Originally Posted by 35remington View Post
    It feeds properly through the AR action. The 7.62X 39 does not, as the tapered case needs a curved magazine that does not fit the straight magwell of the AR 15. It's also a subsonic suitable cartridge due to its small size.

Believe me, if somebody could get the 7.62 X 39 to work 100 percent, nobody would shoot the blackout, save the subsonic wannabes. The blackout falls short of 7.62 X 39 ballistics, and the cartridges are much more expensive.
    Why does shooting subsonic make me a wannabe?

Boolit Grand Master
    Because most of those who do aren't going to go through all the paperwork and licensing to get a suppressor, so the subsonic performance is really not needed. The gun still makes a pretty decent bang.

Boolit Master
    Thanks allot guys. I spent most of last night in bed thinking about the 300 SS. I even woke up thinking about reloading. GEE THANKS

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kbstenberg View Post
    Can I ask a really dumb question!? What is the attraction of the 300 BO that can't be done with most small cased 30 calibers cartridges.
    This isn't a setup question. I am wondering why.
    Kevin
    1 Can be fired reliably in the AR platform
    2 Uses the same bolt and mags...all you need is a new barrel
    3 Can make cases from surplus 5.56 cases (cases are very cheap)
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Boolit Master

Some like 45-70 some like 300 magnums. Thankfully there are cartridges for all tastes. I like the 300AAC Blackout, but that's just me. You do not have to like my cartridge and I do not have to like yours. I like to shoot them at supersonic and subsonic. I use this cartridge for fun and only for fun. For hunting I use either my 6.8, 30-06 or 8x57.

I do have alot of fun with the 300AAC.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast