Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionWideners
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLoad Data
Repackbox Titan Reloading

Thread: Lee 324-175 mold for Mosins with throat erosion (pics)

Boolit Mold

Lee 324-175 mold for Mosins with throat erosion (pics)

Recently got Lee 324-175 mold and made some bullets. Sized them to 0.314" and would like to try them from my MN 91/30 (bore slug 0.314/0.3020" respectively). I'd like to try it because of eroded throat - 0.328" at the chamber end and 0.316" 1/4" further. Bullets after sizing came out 0.3145" in dia and 1/64" deep lube grooves. Is it worth/safe to try?
    Any opinions very appreciated.
    Throat erosion pretty visible on pics: (the barrel I'm talking is first on the left)

And bullets looks like this after sizing:

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    I've done the same thing with the 8mm Maximum for a 91/30 so the concept is sound. I'm wondering about blow by in the throat. What does the I.D. of the neck of your fired brass mic to?
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Buddy
    The first three look just like the throats on my Mosins. I thought they were all like like as I can still see tool marks on mine. I don't have a true Finn(only a Finn marked M91) so I didn't realize that their throats look totally different than the Russkies.
    -William

"How air ye fixed fer meat, Del?" --John Johnson Crow Killer, The Saga of Liver-Eating Johnson

My Feedback: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...t=stonecrusher

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamish View Post
    ..... What does the I.D. of the neck of your fired brass mic to?
    My bad - must be checked long time ago. Thanks for reminding!

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Stonecrusher View Post
    The first three look just like the throats on my Mosins. I thought they were all like like as I can still see tool marks on mine. I don't have a true Finn(only a Finn marked M91) so I didn't realize that their throats look totally different than the Russkies.
    I bought these M39 some time ago - one (I) unussued w/arsenal tug and second (II) with new bore!!! That's why no erosion at all! I did these casts before starting to shoot.

Boolit Master
    Shoot them and see, but you will have a lot of bearing area I also wonder about the gas cutting. A gas check may be your friend with this one. I have one that I seat the gas check in a .316" sizer after lubing even though the bullet drops what my bore size would want(.312"). The unused M39 casts are interesting to me because they look like my M28-76 cast, which quite a few here thought had a lot of erosion with the lands starting way out there. It loves long bullets seated way out by the way, NOE 311331 especially.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by texassako View Post
    .... A gas check may be your friend with this one....
    What size (dia/cal) you mean?

Boolit Master
    I used .30 cal molds and gas checks. Essentially I was fooling the throat into thinking it was seeing a bigger bullet since the check was sized .004" bigger than the bullet. Maybe you could do something similar, but bigger.

Boolit Grand Master

I shoot .315" boolits out of both my MN 91/30s with no problem. Accuracy is very good at less than 2" almost all the time at 100 yards.
    Just make sure there is room in the neck of the chamber for the boolit to release from the case.

Boolit Grand Master

The 3 left ones are typical Russian chambers and are reamed that way. The taper from the outside of the chamber case neck to the throat/lands is normal. It is not from "erosion".

Larry Gibson

Boolit Master
    Larry,
    I think you just make Hardwood happy.

Super Moderator

.............Sadly they're no longer offered by Lyman but if you can find either the 323470 or 323471 (165, & 205grs respectively), latch on to'em. Both are Loverin designs intended for the 8mm. Lube size in a .323" die then send them up through a Lee type push through die to your desired OD. I had a M1909 Argentine Cav Carbine with a .303" land x .314" groove. Trying to find a bore rider to 'ride' that generous land diameter was fruitless.

I don't have a picture of the 323470. The heavier Lyman was a bit too long for the short necked 7.65x53 case but it shot well. The shorter slug was just the ticket. It shot exceedingly well also but it 'fit' the case design and magazine.

............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

MidwayUSA.com has the 165 grain 232470 in stock:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/754...nose-gas-check

That's what the mold looks like. Works well in a 8x57 case.
    Last edited by UBER7MM; 07-26-2014 at 08:45 AM. Reason: 323570->323470 correcion
    Uber7mm

Bambi: The great American hunting story as told through the eyes of the antagonist.

Boolit Master

Thats a heck of an idea, thank you. I have the NOE 326471 for my K98 and just acquired a 1935 Mosin 91/30, and was hoping at least to use them for bore slugging on the Mosin. Just curious, would you still use the 8mm gas checks and just squeeze them down as well through the Lee sizer for use in the Mosin?

Quote Originally Posted by Buckshot View Post
    .............Sadly they're no longer offered by Lyman but if you can find either the 323470 or 323471 (165, & 205grs respectively), latch on to'em. Both are Loverin designs intended for the 8mm. Lube size in a .323" die then send them up through a Lee type push through die to your desired OD. I had a M1909 Argentine Cav Carbine with a .303" land x .314" groove. Trying to find a bore rider to 'ride' that generous land diameter was fruitless.

I don't have a picture of the 323470. The heavier Lyman was a bit too long for the short necked 7.65x53 case but it shot well. The shorter slug was just the ticket. It shot exceedingly well also but it 'fit' the case design and magazine.

............Buckshot
    Last edited by JeffG; 07-24-2014 at 11:28 PM.

I gc my lee 323 thru the 324 sizer then size it to 314. That brought my worst shooting 1919 lithgow enfield up to my best over the Finn m39 and Swiss k31. From scatter gun to tac driver.

I shoot the Ideal 323371 sized .315 in my Mosins with good luck.
    Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelt of elderberries

Super Moderator

.............Yup, you have to use the 8mm GC. Lube-size to .323 / .324" then send it up through a push through die. No problems.

..............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Master

Great, thank you very much!

Quote Originally Posted by Buckshot View Post
    .............Yup, you have to use the 8mm GC. Lube-size to .323 / .324" then send it up through a push through die. No problems.

..............Buckshot