Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Load DataTitan ReloadingInline FabricationRepackbox
Reloading Everything
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Just a few tips for new rifle casters.

Boolit Buddy
    This information is exactly what I have been looking for. I realize that this is an older thread but the info is brand new to me. Thank you! I will be researching this site thoroughly as I progress.

Greatly appreciated, WBG

Well, I'm hooked. Cast my first 30cal's today. After about the first 20 it went smoothly. Cast 600 or so nice bright 150 gr. that weighed 143 . Right on the money at .309. Now to size , install the GC and lube. I have about 300 lb of WW to melt but that can wait until I get outdoors.

Tagging for later

Thank you goodsteel!
    Gondwana

Never give up, no obstacle is invincible, there is always a way.

Boolit Grand Master

I no longer contribute to this forum.
    Last edited by MBTcustom; 02-13-2018 at 02:08 PM.
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Man-------- I'm glad I found this thread. Just good stuff here. Thanks Tim. May have helped me find a prob with a #5 roller in 44-40.

Roy
    Hooker53

All this is good info but, at this point I don't powder load all my brass at one time as a habit. I still take the time to hand measure each load and seat the Boolit right then. I know this takes extra time but, I'm the type that would rather take the time on 50/100 cart then to rush through 500.

Roy
    Hooker53

Quote Originally Posted by geargnasher View Post
    Then you weren't paying very close attention with the flashlight inspection. The difference between a regular and double-charge of Unique in an '06 case is about 5/8", but if one is new to visual inspections it's a good idea to intentionally double-charge a case for comparison to a normal charge so you can calibrate your eyeball. (just don't forget to dump it out, eh?) I either use two blocks or work to opposite ends like you suggest, but I check with a pen light anyway as extra insurance.

Gear

Boolit Buddy
    Well, I'm lost here. How do you put a full case of melted lead in the chamber, close the bolt on it, turn the gun over and administer the brass rod and keep the lead in the case melted all at the same time? How do you get the case of melted lead into the chamber unless you have a break action gun? and even then, I've noticed with my molds that lead stays hot a long time but melted not very long. I have not found a reason to try this but, can you fill a mold cavity with molten lead and try to get the lead out before it set's up. I doubt I can do that. Would be interesting to watch a video of this process.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Fischer View Post
    Well, I'm lost here. How do you put a full case of melted lead in the chamber, close the bolt on it, turn the gun over and administer the brass rod and keep the lead in the case melted all at the same time? How do you get the case of melted lead into the chamber unless you have a break action gun? and even then, I've noticed with my molds that lead stays hot a long time but melted not very long. I have not found a reason to try this but, can you fill a mold cavity with molten lead and try to get the lead out before it set's up. I doubt I can do that. Would be interesting to watch a video of this process.
    You missed a step:
    In order to get a chamber slug, take a once fired piece of brass from your rifle, and fill it with molten lead to just below the case mouth. Cast a lead boolit of pure lead. Insert the lead boolit into your breech, followed by the lead filled casing.
    The lead filled brass casing is cooled and hard. This makes a solid "bullet holder" that won't allow the bullet to go anywhere while you're pounding on that bullet with a rod from the muzzle end. As you drive the pure lead bullet backwards into case, it is forced into the almost filled neck of the case and fills the rest of the space between the case mouth and the start of the rifling as well as getting smashed into the full width of the throat.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks for the OP, excellent info. It will be a while before I attempt to cast any 308's, but I have read this multiple times, and It sinks in a bit more each time, and I am reading up on some of the processes mentioned. Thanks again from a newbie!

Dave

thanks for sharing this knowledge

Sent from my C6903 using Forum Fiend v1.3.3.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by rsrocket1 View Post
    You missed a step:

The lead filled brass casing is cooled and hard. This makes a solid "bullet holder" that won't allow the bullet to go anywhere while you're pounding on that bullet with a rod from the muzzle end. As you drive the pure lead bullet backwards into case, it is forced into the almost filled neck of the case and fills the rest of the space between the case mouth and the start of the rifling as well as getting smashed into the full width of the throat.
    That make's more sense but that isn't what it say's.

Boolit Master
    this thread should be a sticky

Boolit Mold
    Umm not sure what the heck happened in February apparently something very bad, but I feel like most of the information in this sticky is missing.

The bulk of the information in this sticky is gone. Should it still be a sticky?
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Cast Boolits Owner

Left as a reminder that Goodsteel does not think we are worthy of his knowledge.
    "The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion."
    - Albert Camus -

Banned

True
    Some take the ball and run home

Cast Boolits Owner

I was a bit short with my last post. He was banned some time back and by choice stayed away for a while even though the ban had expired. He eventually returned and was posting until he received an infraction. A few days later he changed a bunch of his post to reflect the message below. Apparently he has determined we are not worthy of his knowledge. Such is life....

Robert
    "The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion."
    - Albert Camus -

Boolit Master

Sounds like a 6 year old taking his ball and going home.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks to the "Wayback Machine", web.archive.org, the earliest posts here are still available.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast