RepackboxLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Load DataInline FabricationTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: best expander die

Boolit Bub

best expander die

I am loading with a single stage setup for straight wall pistol brass and was wondering which expander die most folks preferred. I am using a lee and thought the effort to expand brass was a bit more than my lyman. Is this my imagination?
    Buckbeans

Moderator Emeritus
    For cast boolits for me the the best off the shelf expander die is the Lyman "M " die, If they don't do the size spud I want then I get one of our member machinists to cut me one to size on the lyman design and to fit the Lyman.

For fine firearms and shooting requisites visit my Web Site by clicking the link below:

Pukka Bundhooks

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    No, its not you're imagination. My Lee expander in 9mm shakes the workbench to death when the case is pulled out of it. Fortunately the Lee Universal expanding die works great, better than any I've ever tried.

Looks like my post showed up after yours and it looked like I was giving you a hard time. Sorry 'bout that!!
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Banned

The Lee Universal Expanding die isn't an expanding die at all, it's a bellmouth die.

For true, straight, accurate, deep enough expansion for cast boolits plus just the amount of bellmouth you want, RCBS cannot be beat with their dedicated expander-only dies for pistol or rifle (different die bodies for pistol and rifle dies). The expander plugs can be had in a variety of special sizes, including a full lineup of "cowboy" expanders for cast boolits in the pistol and some rifle calibers.

I'm slowly replacing of all my Lyman "M" dies in favor of the RCBS.

Gear

Redding also makes good expanding dies.

Boolit Master

There is no "best" of anything. What I prefer is what comes with the die set I am using, and I don't use dies whose name begins with L-E-E.
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA-Life, ARTCA, American Legion, & the South Cuyahoga Gun Club.

Caveat Emptor: Do not trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He will rip you off.

Boolit Master
    "The Lee Universal Expanding die isn't an expanding die at all, it's a bellmouth die."

I'm sure Lee has made a small fortune by calling their "belling" or "flaring" die an "expanding" die. While some members find that it suits their particular needs just fine, it does not function the same as a Lyman M-die, nor is the end result the same.

On more than one occasion, Gear has spoken very highly of RCBS's new "expanding" dies -- reckon I need to look into them.
    Last edited by 462; 07-04-2012 at 12:20 PM. Reason: spelling

On more than one occasion, Gear has spoken very highly of RCBS's new "expanding" dies -- reckon I need to look into them.
    Why bother? it can't possibly be an improvement over an (M) die could it? I don't see how anyone could improve something that's already perfected.

There is no "best" of anything.
    Yes there is and when it comes to expanders the best is the Lyman (M) die.

Longwood
    Quote Originally Posted by UNIQUEDOT View Post
    Why bother? it can't possibly be an improvement over an (M) die could it? I don't see how anyone could improve something that's already perfected.

Track of the Wolf sells expander plugs in some of the cast bullet sizes.

Boolit Master
    "Why bother? it can't possibly be an improvement over an (M) die could it?"

We all have our preferred ways of determining that which best suits our particular wants and needs. In the case of an "expanding" die, I've found the Lyman die to be an excellent tool, while the Lee die, by design, lacks the same functionality. Unless I experiment with the RCBS die, I'll never know if the Lyman actually is the best tool for me.

Le Loup Solitaire

Expanding/Flaring

The Lee universal is a flaring die. The Lyman M die is an expanding die. The "powder through" dies also made by Lee are primarily flare dies as they are not meant to do what an M die does; they flare slightly and deliver the powder into the case. I have not yet had any experience with the RCBS die. As to what is the best...its the one that is doing exactly what you need and doing it well. LLS

Track of the Wolf sells expander plugs in some of the cast bullet sizes.
    Are you talking about the expanders for the Lee dies? are they supposed to do the same thing an m die does?

Unless I experiment with the RCBS die, I'll never know if the Lyman actually is the best tool for me.
    I suppose so, but isn't it just a copy of perfection?

Boolit Master

For me the LEE expanded is good in that I just make my own two step expander to replace the original.

Boolit Master
    I have an old Rcbs 38spl expander die body that I use with home made "M" type dies to fit my cast boolits. That die body is so old it's made of aluminum. It works very well and I can cut the plugs to what ever size I want.

Banned

I can't tell if that is sarcasm directed at all of those who think the M-die is god's own gift to cast boolit handloaders, or if you really believe it.

If it's sarcasm, don't go telling me Lee makes the best expanders. John Lee wouldn't know what a real expander was if he ate a bowl of them for breakfast.

If you're serious, all I can say is good luck with your lovely Lyman M dies and have a nice day, because it's obvious you know it all and there's nothing anyone can do to help you.

Gear

I too have a problem with the Lee expander die. Even with the Hornady PTX dies.
    Serious problems occurs at 9mm, 40SW and 38Super.

The dies won't expand the brass much that it swages down the cast bullet resulting to keyholing. Best solution that I found was a homemade expander that suits my needs!

I just wish somebody will make a Hornady PTX dies that is like a Lyman M die, somewhat a hybrid of the two design.

Boolit Buddy
    Like many things in reloading and casting what works for me may not for another.

The Redding G-RX die is a good example. I shoot a Glock 22, and reload with Lyman dies. The set I have will not size any bulge on 40 cases. I have a friend that ran the problematic case threw his Dillion dies with no problem. So all my 40 Brass now goes threw the G-RX Die.

Back to the Lyman M-die. I cast for four different Rifle caliber’s and use M-dies on each.
    I also cast 7 different pistol rounds, but have never seen the need for the M-die or Lee Universal expander Die with my Lyman standard straight wall pistol dies. I have also used Lee dies. I do not like the floating inside expander in Lee Dies, but they two have always had the ability, to go deep enough to insert cast bullets without any shaving of Lead, and they seem too seat well.

So what is the advantage of the M-Die with Straight wall Pistol cases. Granted all my cast pistol bullets are only sized .01 over jacketed caliber. Is there a difference with bullets sized larger, I have run long un trimmed 357 cases threw the standard Lyman expander die, and they cam out with a pretty good flare on them.

Quote Originally Posted by geargnasher View Post
    I can't tell if that is sarcasm directed at all of those who think the M-die is god's own gift to cast boolit handloaders, or if you really believe it.

If it's sarcasm, don't go telling me Lee makes the best expanders. John Lee wouldn't know what a real expander was if he ate a bowl of them for breakfast.

If you're serious, all I can say is good luck with your lovely Lyman M dies and have a nice day, because it's obvious you know it all and there's nothing anyone can do to help you.

Gear
    No sarcasm intended and yes the lee expander is no good for cast bullets. If there is any possible way for anyone to make a better expander plug than an (M) plug please explain the process to me as i just don't see any way to improve on it as it has three steps when it comes to loading cast or you use the two step adjustment for jacketed. I've seen the opinions, but no one has said why they like what they like.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    A forum buddy made me an expander plug for the Lee 9X19 flaring die. haven't had the time to try it on a full box of ammo yet but it works great on the few cases I've tried so far. It resembles the factory expander but with a longer spud. It seems to do a pretty good job of removing the taper so you can install a .358 boolit. I really like my Lee dies but the factory expander plug is pretty useless. It shakes the workbench to death when you pull the case out of it and it doesn't open up the case nearly enough for boolits. I have had excellent success with the universal flaring die, of course it adds an extra step if you're charging with a die.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Longwood

Are you talking about the expanders for the Lee dies? are they supposed to do the same thing an m die does?
    Right,,,
    I bought three different sizes plus a compression plug for less than a 'M' die..
    Cheap enough to modify if needed.
    So I did,,, my flaring dies is a convenient, powder thru die.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast