RotoMetals2WidenersReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionRepackboxInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data

Thread: flake carnauba wax for 45-45-10

Boolit Buddy

flake carnauba wax for 45-45-10

Not wanting to render down a can of JPW to make 45-45-10 lube, I purchased a 1# bag of flake carnauba wax to melt and use instead of the JPW. Can anyone suggest how much melted flake carnauba to add to 4oz of Alox/Xlox to equal the rendered down JPW? I also am curious to hear how fast 45-45-10 coated boolits have been driven without leading.

Trifocals
    NRA life member

"Never give in except to convictions of honor and good."
    Winston Churchill

Banned

There's a lot more to JPW than Carnauba. Check the MSDS but I think it's mostly solvents and paraffin wax, with something like 5-10% carnauba. You can try beeswax or paraffin wax softened with a little Vaseline plus a little carnauba to substitute, so it would be something like 45% Liquid Alox, 25% beeswax/paraffin wax, 15% Vaseline, 5% Carnauba, and 10% petroleum mineral spirits (NOT the milky fake "paint thinner" stuff that's low-volatility).

Give it a whirl, as long as it dries, should work ok. I'd still melt everything except the mineral spirits together in a double boiler for 5-10 minutes while stirring to make sure it all gets homogenized, then let it cool to about body temperature and add your mineral spirits until it's about like 30-weight engine oil, might take more than 10% to do that, and it's fine if it does, the MS is only to adjust the viscosity so you can get the right thickness of coating on the boolits.

Gear

Boolit Buddy
    The MSDS says:

Isoparaffinic hydrocarbon
    solvent CAS 64742-88-7.......75-85 weight %
    Paraffin Wax 8002-74-2........10-30
    Carnauba Wax 8015-86-9......5-10

I melted 5 grams of Carnauba in a double boiler, added 15 grams of Paraffin. When all melted, I finally added 50 milliliters of Aliphatic Naphta (Odorless Mineral Spirits).
    It cooled down to a paste like substance, approximately 60-65 ml in volume.

I've never seen nor used the real product so I didn't know what to expect but it "looked OK".

Using my version of the wax, I would start with the same amounts of carnauba and paraffin wax but instead of the aliphatic naphta, I would use 60-65 ml of LLA. And add some aliphatic naphta if too thick.

Boolit Buddy
    Now I've done my first experiment:

When the carnauba (5g) and paraffin (15g) had melted I opened one of my little Lee LLA bottles only to find that it was more of a paste than liquid. (No wonder, really, as they have been sitting for some ten years or so). Had some problems getting it out of the bottle.

Anyways, I weighed the LLA paste to be 40 grams.
    Then I put five boolits in a small plastic bag and added a few drops of the still warm lube. Trying to spread the lube on the boolits (Lee TL358-158-SWC) but it almost immediately "coagulated" giving a very uneven coating.

So, I added 10 ml of aliphatic naphta with the intention of getting a liquid lube when it cools down to room temperature.

The experiment is progressing. And the first five test boolits are not sticky at all, possibly a slight oily feeling.

Looks promising, all in all...

I will give this lube to a friend who tumble lubes, he will be a better judge than I am.

Trifocals

I posted what might be your answer on this link, #508

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...=67654&page=26

I call this a fortified LLA, that is 10% Carnuba wax by weight to LLA. I use enough Mineral Spirits to keep the same consitancy has normal LLA, using a very light coat to dry overnight. I use this in rifle velocities up to 1,200fps with great accuracy and no lead fouling on PBBs. Adding more than 10% Carnuba Wax may make the coating brittle.

I don't like to add Vasoline or Parrafin wax to my fortified lubes. If I felt like I need to soften a lube and make it sticky, I'd add a very small amount of Lanolin.........