Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Load DataRepackboxReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners RotoMetals2
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why aren't we contracting Lee for GB molds?

Little Egypt, Part of the political fifedom of Chicago
    Quote Originally Posted by 40Super View Post
    I would definately agree with trying to get Accurate for GB's. He is of equal quality as the others.(not Lee)
    Having seen and used all that was and is available, I can say that some or more equal than others..............

Boolit Master

Yes, 260 is quite a bit for one mould, but that is 170 each for 2, and 126.00 for 3. If you can get only 5 guys it is down to 100.00 each. 10 guys and we're at 80.00. For something like a 32 revolver bullet intended for targets or plinking that isn't a bad deal for a 6 cavity mould. Some of us DO have limited budgets and have to worry about such things. There are many guys here who have LEE GB's that work fine. And to talk about the old 1-2 year wait times isn't reality anymore, that is now NOE and Mihec, and it doesnt seem to bother anybody when it comes to them. I like to by the best I can afford, but some designs just don't need ultra high quality. It takes a bit of LEEmenting but I have some LEE moulds that have over 90,000 bullets through them, so they can't be all THAT bad.
    Last edited by Springfield; 07-02-2012 at 12:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 45 2.1 View Post
    Lee doesn't use cherries...................... their molds are bored.
    Potatoes / tomatoes , if it was a money making proposition they would offer 6 cavity rifle bullet molds, the 312-155-312-160TL probably being the most popular due to the use of AK's/ sks's. They don't do it for a reason , and since no one here speaks for LEE, case closed.
    IHMSA # 566 "time sure flies when you're having FUN"

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne S View Post
    Potatoes / tomatoes , if it was a money making proposition they would offer 6 cavity rifle bullet molds, the 312-155-312-160TL probably being the most popular due to the use of AK's/ sks's. They don't do it for a reason , and since no one here speaks for LEE, case closed.
    Talk to any competent tool and die maker (we have quite a few on the site) and they will tell you it does make a difference how Lee makes their molds. The most glaring thing about Lee is their tolerance range of -0.000" to +0.003". That would bankrupt any commercial machine operation in very short order due to no repeat orders and a bad reputation. It also says just what they're able to do.

Boolit Grand Master

I'm no LEE basher, in any way. I have and use quite a few Lee 6C GB molds. I was lucky to only buy the ones that came in spec. I use as many Lee products as I can. That all said, I will NEVER join another LEE GB. The time we spent waiting in the dark about delivery dates was utterly ridiculous.
    Yes NOE and the others are experiencing the same production problems that LEE had. It's impossible to produce everything requested overnight.
    Lee can do a better job now cause the need is much Less. They allowed competition to beat them at what was their game. Instead of turning away orders, they accepted money and crawled back in their cave. Eventually they sent molds to the honcho, but he never knew when to expect it till it was ready to ship. They never met expected dates.
    Having seen and used Mihec and NOE molds, and not paying for them till the last minute, and getting a work of art, why in the world would I ever go back to the dark (LEE) side.

Boolit Master

Paying 60.00/mould instead of 100-130 is kinda nice, plus I get the extra 2 cavities. Plus I am very used to using LEE 6 cavs, that is what I cast with 90% of the time. I appreciate good equipment as much as anybody, I have a Magma pot and Star sizers, but what can I say, I like LEE 6 cavity moulds for volume casting. After using 6 cav's the 2's and 4's just seem slow, and time is worth somethng after all. It's the only thing I can't buy any more of.

That's $60 plus set up fee distributed amongst however many buyers plus shipping. At that point it's about the same as Miha's 6 cavity aluminum moulds. Which are just like LEE's but better. I'm still a LEE fan, just not a LEE group buy fan.

Boolit Master
    You just can't expect a production company that's business model is geared around mass producing products at minimal cost to be effectively geared around making special orders and short runs. It's simply a different mindset and as evidenced by history, not compatable with group buys. They can't even seem to keep up with their normal production products, ever seen anybody that has a 6 cavity 125 gr 357 rf mold in stock?

I think the most practical option would be for an amicable mold maker to get a lot of lee blank 6 cavity molds and make group buys with those molds. But then it comes down to who's going to front the money for the blank molds and tooling? Custom mold making is a tough business and it can take from weeks, to months, over a year to get enough people interested in a group buy.

If I were in more of a hurry I'd simply skip the group buys and go to Accurate, Mountain Molds or Ballisticast and have them make what I want. I'll pay a little more for a one off, but I won't have to wait for group think to co-alesce, nor will I have to possibly compromise with the design.

Boolit Master

I have 2 of Mihec's aluminum 6 cavity moulds and they really aren't that much dfferent in use, except for the steel sprue plate. He DOES finish everything better, no chips and rough edges.

Quote Originally Posted by paul h View Post
    I think the most practical option would be for an amicable mold maker to get a lot of lee blank 6 cavity molds and make group buys with those molds. But then it comes down to who's going to front the money for the blank molds and tooling? Custom mold making is a tough business and it can take from weeks, to months, over a year to get enough people interested in a group buy.
    I and a couple of others have had BRP alter some poorly cut Lee GBs that were basically useless as is. He reported the molds were not square nor were the cavities in line with each other. I think any mold maker would reject these and make his own blocks......... if he wanted to make any money at it.

Ohio's BEST CCW resource: http://ohioccwforums.org/
    After reading a dozen or so pages of the H&G 68 clone thread, it makes me want to never involve myself in a group buy!
    Due to market fluctuations I am no longer buying range scrap jackets.

Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

Lee had an attitude with the customers, would not properly answer their questions and kept our money for a year or more before producing the promised mold which was usually out of spec.
    This country has gone to hell but now there is hope for us.

Boolit Master

About the best thing about the older LEE GB's was that you could get a 6 cavity mold for about 65.00, which is about half of what everybody elses is. For pistol bullets I found the LEE's to be satisfactory, for more finicky rifle bullets not so much. But to do this you need at least 25 takers,which is difficult to do these days. If you want a pistol mould capable of casting a bunch of plinking bullets fast, they are still a good deal. If you want precision, go with NOE, Mihec or Accurate. You get what you pay for.

Boolit Master
    I was willing to give Lee a crack at some of my hard earned money two years ago or so. I sent them off my drawing, called them to see if they got it, they did, and then waited for a month or so because I never did hear back from them. So I called again, they said they had no idea what I was talking about, and to send another drawing in. I didn't, but I got a call from Lee, I believe it was their CAD person and he was pleasant and knowledgeable and he said that he had a drawing there and was wondering what I wanted him to do. I told him to forget it and I was using another route. I figured if they messed it up that badly in the beginning before they even had my money, it could only get worse.

Apparently Ranch Dog has had okay success working with Lee. He would probably be the person to talk to about how they are doing right now.

I love Lee, they have some screws loose over there though.
    Lotta people die in bed: Dangerous place to be!

Boolit Master
    Miha's 6 cavity molds are great, I just wish he would offer more of them.

No longer living in the High Country, Australia, a lowlander now.
    Great thread, just recently been infected with this lead addiction & good advise for future group mold buys, which I fear will get out of hand.

Appreciated.

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    The difference? Just like everyone else, I have Lee moulds that cast anywhere from just fine to want to smash it with a hammer. Buy a Lee product and have a problem, you have a problem and you will pay to *hopefully* solve it the first time.

My first custom mould buy, there was a problem with some of the moulds concerning gas checks going on, Miha sent everyone a new mould on his dime, inside of a couple of weeks.
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Master

I have several Lee six cavity molds, both stock and our past custom GBs, and I love them all. All were right on, except the H&G 68 (the entire run, not just my mold, and that was a HUGE run) and they were replaced quickly with perfect molds. I have not participated in any GBs since we started using these other fellows, but everything I've read here says they turn out some mighty nice products. I hope something catches my fancy so I can jump in and try some of these.

We need to be honest with ourselves, we did swamp Lee, and now we have swamped other makers too. Sometimes I think we're all just a bunch of kids in a candy store, we want more, more, MORE!!!!! RIGHT NOW!!!!!!

I figure when I get in on a GB, I pay my money and takes my chances. And I NEVER bash the honcho, they are limited by the people we are dealing with. I accept that I might be in for a long wait. I'm fairly confident I'll get a great product, and if not I'm confident it will eventually be made right. that's my opinion, based on my experience.

Your mileage may vary depending on driving conditions...

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by quasi View Post
    Miha's 6 cavity molds are great, I just wish he would offer more of them.
    How much was he charging for them?
    Lotta people die in bed: Dangerous place to be!

Boolit Master
    $90.00 or so.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast