Titan ReloadingLoad DataReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyWidenersRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Lee Precision

Thread: .22 BPCR Association

Boolit Master

.22 BPCR Association

Hello, everyone. I just came across this..www.22bpcra.org. They are starting a .22 BPCR association. I understand these were 200yd. rimfire side matches at the BPCR silhouette matches at Ratone. Looks to be a fun match! Rams out at 200yds. Photo's look like .22 handgun silhouette targets.
    I have had an idea in back of mind for quite some time..a sort of "hunters" silhouette type match, using .22 rifles & X sticks..shot at steel buffalo silhouettes. I have cut some targets out of 1/4" CRS..the size close to the .22 handgun pig. What I had in mind was setting out a couple of "stands"..maybe 5 or 10 targets..in various positions & all at differen't and unknown ranges..just like a real buffalo shoot! Shooter would be timed & object to knock all of "stand" down in alloted time.
    Now if this wouldn't bring some new shooters into the fold..especially the kids..I don't know what would! The .22 BPCR rules are pretty strict about exposed hammers, no hooked buttplates, or optics..these could remain..or let e'm shoot what they bring..if traditional single-shot rifles were to be adhered to..why not allow hammerless..that way the fine BSA target rifles, or converted Ruger No.1's could be used. Even schuetzen stocked (hooked buttplate)..if your using X sticks..it really doesn't matter much.
    Heck, you could even have a set-up for revolvers...What do you guys think?

Boolit Master
    We shoot a long range .22 match, on the 5th Sunday 50-200 yds using 2/5 scale animals, BPCR Rules.

lots of fun...

Jon
    Col 2:13-17

Vendor Sponsor

Jon K or anyone that has shot this game-

For years when in Raton at the BPCR nationals I have NOT shot thsi side match because I did not really have a day away from the "big BP" matches. So, I have never shot this.

What ammo are you using - liking past 100 meters? Some people like the sub-sonic match loads and some say the Hi-velocity target ammo takes over out past 100 meters.

I have a chance to shoot the 22 BPCR game in Raton this year....it's next week... this is because of the new schedule. I'm going to do it with my Ballard and Iron Sights.

Federal Ultra Match is best in my Ballard to 100yards but I am only now testing for accuracy to 200 meters. What wisdom can you pass on?
    Chill Wills

L Ross
    Chill, I have a range set up for this on my own property with 7 gauge steel backing sheets painted white instead of berms. I hold a shoot the weekend after Mother's Day each spring and we get and can handle about 16 shooters. We have shooters using Dave Crossno inserts in bg bore BPCR's, original Stevens, a Stevens with a Axel Peterson barrel, full custom purpose built silhouette rifle etc. We have had our best results with standard velocity and Wolf Match Target in particular SK Match, Lapua Club Standard, and Fiocchi 320.
    You will enjoy this port.

Duke

Little Egypt, Part of the political fifedom of Chicago
    Quote Originally Posted by .22-10-45 View Post
    I have had an idea in back of mind for quite some time..a sort of "hunters" silhouette type match, using .22 rifles & X sticks..shot at steel buffalo silhouettes. I have cut some targets out of 1/4" CRS..the size close to the .22 handgun pig. What I had in mind was setting out a couple of "stands"..maybe 5 or 10 targets..in various positions & all at differen't and unknown ranges..just like a real buffalo shoot! Shooter would be timed & object to knock all of "stand" down in alloted time.
    Now if this wouldn't bring some new shooters into the fold..especially the kids..I don't know what would! The .22 BPCR rules are pretty strict about exposed hammers, no hooked buttplates, or optics..these could remain..or let e'm shoot what they bring..if traditional single-shot rifles were to be adhered to..why not allow hammerless..that way the fine BSA target rifles, or converted Ruger No.1's could be used. Even schuetzen stocked (hooked buttplate)..if your using X sticks..it really doesn't matter much.
    As a match of your own, its a great idea. The official matches are indeed quite strict as to what you can shoot (for score and prize). I've always thought they shot theirselves in the foot for not including other period type rifles (any non hammer gun from that era). But its a game......................

In Remembrance

22 bpcr

Quote Originally Posted by L Ross View Post
    Chill, I have a range set up for this on my own property with 7 gauge steel backing sheets painted white instead of berms. I hold a shoot the weekend after Mother's Day each spring and we get and can handle about 16 shooters. We have shooters using Dave Crossno inserts in bg bore BPCR's, original Stevens, a Stevens with a Axel Peterson barrel, full custom purpose built silhouette rifle etc. We have had our best results with standard velocity and Wolf Match Target in particular SK Match, Lapua Club Standard, and Fiocchi 320.
    You will enjoy this port.

Duke
    Duke, you gonna have another write-up in the BPCR News??
    NRA Life
    NMLRA Life
    F&AM

Boolit Master
    Chill,

I just now getting back to this thread, hope you see it in time to do some testing.

I use Aguila Target(Blue box) Shoots around 3/4" @100 yds in my 39A(w/liner). I have several rifles that like it. CPA 44 1/2/Stevens 44/Ballard #3(w/liner)/39A. I tried others, but it shoots reliable and takes 2/5th Rams @200. I have shot 10 Turkeys or Rams w/ irons or scope,with a good spotter, and if you can out guess the wind.
    But....now those Pesky little Chickens off hand...

I have found some pricey Lapua to shoot smaller groups...but rings Rams!

Jon
    Col 2:13-17

Boolit Master
    For what is worth they do allow scopes, period Correct of course. MVA's among those. They always had a scope class.

I am shooting it at Raton again this year, with a C. Sharps 75 and MVA Scope.

KW
    The Lunger