Lee PrecisionLoad DataTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Reloading Everything Wideners
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thumler's Tumbler

Thumler's Tumbler

I just ordered one of these this morning and was wondering how many folks are using them. I do intend to order some of the pins for it but the kits were out of stock at Sinclair's so I just ordered the unit itself. I had one like 25 years ago and sold it along with other reloading gear after a divorce and now getting my gear back in order. Before ordering the pins I like to try some walnut media in it and see how it works over the vibrating units and was wondering if others tried it or just stuck with the SS pins.

NRA Life Member

I've got two of them and have thus retired my vibratory cleaners. Having said that, I think that you will be disappointed in how the Thumler cleans with dry media compared to a vibratory cleaner.

Once you try the SS pins and get the process down pat, you will be very glad you spent the money on your set up.
    There is some ammo and more ammo. There is never enough ammo!

Boolit Man
    got the B in the mid 70's use walnut, alittle dust to deal with, but cleans fine. SS pins?

Boolit Mold
    I can't speak to that particular model but I got my Thumler Vibratory cleaner in 1985 and it is still going strong!

Boolit Master
    I have had one since the 70's.It had the rubber drum and the only thing that has been replaced are the "O-ring" drive belts.

Boolit Master

Thumler Tumbler ..................

Once you try out your tumbling with the stainless pins, you'll forget all the dry media method. Its like night and day. Forget the dry media!

Just order the pins direct from the link at the top of the page; I guarantee they have them in stock. When you get the pins, just go by the directions, its that easy. You'll be pleasantly surprised.

I persuaded a good friend to try the pins method in his Thumbler and he was a real skeptic. I told him to put the nastiest, tarnished brass he could find in the tumbler to prove him wrong. He went into an old bucket of brass that was to be trashed and picked out 150 45 ACP cases. After 2 hours and a good rinse job, he told me that the brass could pass for new factory virgin brass. Yep, another convert! Lol!

HV
    Life's biggest tragedy is we get old too soon, and wise too late.

Boolit Mold
    Can you use the pins in vibratory tumbler or does it have to be the "rock tumbler" type?

I've had one since the late 70's and it is still going strong. you do have to replace drive belts occasionaly.

Boolit Master

The pins work well in vibratory tumblers also. I suggest, you replace the center threaded rod with a stainless one. I did that with mine and it solves a lot of issues.
    With the vibratorys, use enough water and Dawn dish soap. You can tell by the vibration. Too much soap and no vibrate, at least not the shells. With the right combination, the shells roll and vibrate.
    Works well.

I use my Thumbler's with stainless pins & lemi shine for all my brass, I put my nickle into a vibratory tumbler with corncob.

The brass looks brand new. There is a video in my signature showing how I use it.

What's the best way to separate the brass and pins after the thumbler is finished running? I use a RCBS media separator for walnut and corn cobb, could this be used also for the SS pins? also, I've read in another post (somewhere) that a vendor here sells the magnetic SS pins, I haven't ordered them yet and need to place an order. Thanks/ Ron
    NRA Life Member

I haven't tried a separator yet, I just take them out one at a time and dump the pins out of each case. I then place them into a big old pan I have with a paper towel in the bottom to dry. When they are dry there are usually about a dozen pins sitting in the pan, which I eventually put back into the tumbler.

Boolit Master

Thumbler's Tumbler 15 pound Model B, High Speed , Dawn dish washing soap, Lemi-Shine rinse agent, and MAGNETIC STAINLESS STEEL PINS FOR MEDIA, and you'll swear you've found Heaven with your cleaned brass.

Magnetic media makes it easy to pick up LOOSE or ERRANT pins.

I leave my pins in the drum all the time.

ON NEW TUMBLERS, PULL THE RUBBER LINER, THE INSIDE IS BARE METAL, PAINT IT WITH RUST-OLEUM RED TO PREVENT DRUM FROM RUSTING.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonman View Post
    ON NEW TUMBLERS, PULL THE RUBBER LINER, THE INSIDE IS BARE METAL, PAINT IT WITH RUST-OLEUM RED TO PREVENT DRUM FROM RUSTING.
    Mine isn't. The inside is painted the same as the outside. Got mine in Early 2012 for reference.

Boolit Master

Revolver,

Maybe the company checked on customer reactions to their product and corrected the problem.

Reloader's may be more fussy than rock polishers.

I have an older Thumler B (1990s era, I think) that isn't painted inside the drum.

My model B is ancient!
    I attepted to pull the liner for a repaint project, but think it is pretty well stuck for now. I'll probably leave it until it has to be replaced.
    Unless someone has some bright idea and experience in the matter...

Longwood
    Quote Originally Posted by cheese1566 View Post
    My model B is ancient!
    I attepted to pull the liner for a repaint project, but think it is pretty well stuck for now. I'll probably leave it until it has to be replaced.
    Unless someone has some bright idea and experience in the matter...
    Rust somehow acts as a great adhesive for rubber to bare steet.
    You did good, leave it be until you need to replace it.

Moderator Emeritus
    I have two, one runs dry with walnut media for smokeless cases. Being going for over 20 years and I bought it second hand, did have to replace the pulley a few years ago though.

Bought a second one 12 years ago for wet tumbling of BP cases with ceramic media and its done real good as well.

Tried the pins and they do clean well but give up on them quickly as I found them too fiddly to manage and the ceramic media cleans just as good.

So a big thumbs up to Thumlers tumblers.

For fine firearms and shooting requisites visit my Web Site by clicking the link below:

Pukka Bundhooks

Quote Originally Posted by Moonman View Post
    Thumbler's Tumbler 15 pound Model B, High Speed , Dawn dish washing soap, Lemi-Shine rinse agent, and MAGNETIC STAINLESS STEEL PINS FOR MEDIA, and you'll swear you've found Heaven with your cleaned brass.

Magnetic media makes it easy to pick up LOOSE or ERRANT pins.

I leave my pins in the drum all the time.

My two came with painted drums, but I got rust over time anyway. I had them sandblasted and coated with Rustoleam. I now pull the liners after each use in order to get rid of any moisture than might have gotten into the drums. No more rust issues.

A coat of silicon spray on the outside of the liner helps greatly with removal and installation. I also leave my pins in the liners, but find that keeping the liners out of the drums allows all moisture to evaporate away.
    There is some ammo and more ammo. There is never enough ammo!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast