Lee PrecisionLoad DataSnyders JerkyRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Wideners Titan Reloading
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Mihec 22 Nato Data

Boolit Buddy
    I have some H4895 i was going to try in the Colt H Bar 20" stock gun 100% at 19.5 like mentioned. Wonder what load in Varget would work? Anyone try that. would be nice to try loads with both when i go try. Thanks

Boolit Buddy
    I loaded my first rounds today to check for AR function. I started out with 21 grains of Varget and the rifle functioned well, I also tried out 22 grains no problem. I won't be able to check for real accuracy until I get around to mounting a scope.

My boolits came out at 60 grains so I went with the starting load according to my Hornady book.
    They try telling me that I'm crazy but we know better.

Boolit Bub
    Thx for the updates ShedHunter. I am particularly interested in the cycling ability as all my .223 weapons are AR based. The mold is an extraordinary work of art and its killing me not to cast a few (weather's been atrocious)
    Democracy... while it lasts is more bloody than either aristocracy or monarchy. Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There is never a democracy that did not commit suicide.
    John Adams
    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.
    John Adams

For my rants on things important and not:
    http://commonmanandamerica.wordpress.com/

Boolit Master
    Tried using N110 some more last night, 15 grains this time, it did not cycle the gun (I have a heavier buffer in the gun to counter act the fact it's a 16" carbine gassed gun, that probably makes it more difficult here). With the suppressor on the last round did eject and feed another so it's right on the limit it would seem. Chronograph said 2450fps and no leading in the bore that I could see. Quickload got it's estimate close here when it giuessed 2410fps.

I will need to either try a heavier charge of a lighter buffer. I do use normal ammo in this so I am not sure I want a lighter buffer just now. But later I will get an adjustable gas block so then I guess I can go for the ligther buffer, since cycling the gun with the minimum amount of gas is probably a good thing for it, and leads to higher velocities.

Boolit Buddy

was at the range today with my RR Predator Pursuit 20" barrel 1/8 twist. checked and lubed weight of 62g, over CCI 400 primer and 19.5/20g h4895. 19.5g barely cycled my action(8 out of 10 cycled), but produced a seated 1.5" group @ 50yds. 20g cycled strongly and also produced 1.5" group. absolutely no leading after the two 10 round groups. alloy is approx. 50/50 lino/pb. I am going to load 50 or so at 19.8g and try them for accuracy at 100yds rested. 80% of the people present could not believe it was possible to cast boolits for an AR.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    Most of my venison steaks were indeed "seasoned" (as in shot in season) with 4895. Not necessarily "H" as I use a lot of milsurp 4895 also along with a lot of IMR4895 in the past

4895 is probably the most versitile medium burning powder for use with cast bullets in most all standard rifle cartridges. H4895 just happens to be the best of the 4895s for various well known reasons. If it ain't broke and works, why fix it?

Larry Gibson

Hi Mr. Gibson,

Firstly, I'd like to thank you for the great threads that you have contributed to.
    You have helped me out a lot...and have helped many others.
    When I read a thread and see that you have added a comment I generally pay close attention to your recommendations.

I, too, am a fan of H4895 and in this particular thread one of the members recommends a load of 19.5gr. of H4895.
    I have a batch of these MiHec NATOs and am just about ready to load...would you recommend a dacron filler?

Keep The High Ground,

G

Boolit Master
    H322 cycled fine at 19.9 grains with a cci magnum primer. Could go down a bit from that, but I was testing on a gun with a small port. Grouped, but did not have sandbags to try to get a tight group. I was keeping within 2 inches at 50 yards offhand with iron sights. Much better than H335. Went up another grain and the group started to open up.

Boolit Master
    Well I finally got some proper rifle powder. Vihtavuori N135 looked real nice in simulations in quickload and I was able to follow existing load data for similar weight jacketed bullets. Tried ten rounds loaded with 21 grains today and had perfect feeding, ejection and bolt hold open. The bore looked shiny and unfired when I looked at it afterwards.

Unfortunately I wasn't at a place where I was able to put up a target at a usable rifle distance, so it was just emptying rounds into the berm and checking function. I will chronograph and test for accuracy later. It felt like a mild load compared to factory rounds, the loading ladder goes up to 23 grains so I have room to test more charges still. Have a good feeling about N135.

Boolit Mold
    I have not had much luck with this yet. So far I have tried H4895 with 19.1 and 19.5 grains. The 19.1 was better but still not good. Also, is the preferred sizing to .225 or .224? And what are you using for COL? I cannot find much information about how folks are loading. I am new to loading .223. Almost all my experience is pistol.

Boolit Master
    Well, h322 did not produce the accuracy the H4895 did, but it was better than the H335. I could hit a 8 inch target at 100 with it consistently, but that was 20.9 grains. I should have stayed lower on the charge.

Boolit Master
    22gr of Varget has given me my best accuracy so far at 2 inches at 50 yds and 2360 FPS. This is from an 8 twist wylde chamber gun. More testing to come to see if I can improve the accuracy some.

Boolit Master
    OK an update. 24gr of RL22 has shown to be the most accurate load so far (thanks Bob ). I've loaded up some more test rounds to verify as well as tightened up my brass prep a bit to eliminate variables. Velocity has been a bit erratic with this load but again it may be due to not sorting my brass before checking for accuracy so I'll report back after the next range trip.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Just Call Me...G View Post
    Hi Mr. Gibson,

Firstly, I'd like to thank you for the great threads that you have contributed to.
    You have helped me out a lot...and have helped many others.
    When I read a thread and see that you have added a comment I generally pay close attention to your recommendations.

I, too, am a fan of H4895 and in this particular thread one of the members recommends a load of 19.5gr. of H4895.
    I have a batch of these MiHec NATOs and am just about ready to load...would you recommend a dacron filler?

Keep The High Ground,

G
    Sorry for the very late reply, just saw the post. I recommend dacron (polyester) and cut up "batting" purchased in fabric stores or departments into 1/3 - 1/2 gr chunks fr use in the .223/5.56.

Larry Gibson

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234