Load DataReloading EverythingLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners RotoMetals2
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112

Thread: 75,000 Wadcutters in a Model 27

Quote Originally Posted by pbcaster45 View Post
    It's a S&W Model 10-3 that I had worked on by Clark Custom Guns. Slicked up action, Aristocrat Sight Rib, Polished and Radiused Trigger with Trigger Stop, Crane Lock and Douglas barrel. I'm not sure about the barrel twist but I think it's a 1:14.
    I like it. My cousin may have made that barrel.

Boolit Man
    I need to try my handloads off the bags... got a little aggravated when Federal Gold Medal Match outshot my handloaded rounds. But I shot those groups offhand!

Attachment 305556
    Seems like I've been trying forever to beat/match the Federal Gold Medal Match load... I think I may have finally done it! I've tried Bullseye, 231, N310 and 700-X but it was MAGIC when I tried WST! I could tell I was getting very good accuracy with the following load, but I need to test more (and remember to take my camera!)

Gulp! Hope my 66-year-old eyeballs don't make a liar out of me!

Bullet: Speer 148 gr. HBWC
    Powder: Winchester WST 2.8 grains.
    Primer: Federal 100
    Case: Federal
    OAL: 1.180

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Clark CC.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	90.4 KB 
ID:	315243
    Last edited by pbcaster45; 06-21-2023 at 12:28 PM.

Sounds like a winner pbcaster45. Looking forward to the report.

I've tried Bullseye, 231, N310 and 700-X
    ...if you don't mind, I would be very interested to learn what you feel your best recipe with the N310, if any_
    thank you very much!
    Food is overrated. A nice rifle is way more important.
    Rob

Boolit Man
    I'll have to check my records but I think I used the above combo with 2.5 grains of N-310 - didn't see anything superior with it (different story in the .45 ACP!)

Thinking hard about getting a Ransom Rest for some serious testing... my eyeballs are way past warranty.

Boolit Man
    Five shots with the WST load at 25 yards. My eyes are not what they used to be!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E6-F366-ED-8656-4-F3-D-A673-F270054700-CF.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	50.5 KB 
ID:	315760

thanks !
    pbcaster45, I will treasure it. I recently had a 3,5" in my hands which I think will like your recipe as much or perhaps more than the 6", which I have always target loaded with N320_
    Last edited by wilecoyote; 07-09-2023 at 08:40 PM. Reason: 3,5"
    Food is overrated. A nice rifle is way more important.
    Rob

Boolit Mold
    PBCaster, thanks for sharing the WST load. I’m going to have to try. I was given a four pound jug of WST, after buying a one pound can, this summer. I’ve only used it for 45ACP but am going to try it in my 38.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Old thread but I have read through the entirety of it with great interest. I, too, have an older S&W M27 and while I like blue steel, this one is nickel plated and is also a 5 incher on the barrel. While I haven't seen any others like it (nickel plated & a 5 incher), some other owners have said while it is somewhat rare, there are some of them out there. If S&W made 5 of them, there might be 50 or 500 or 5,000 or more. Like the one owned by the Texasflyboy, mine is super accurate with just about everything I put through it, only I've never kept a count of how many. I do have some wadcutter brass but this one isn't picky in that regard. RCBS's 158 gr. SWC (plain base) and Lyman's 158 gr. 358156 SWC (gas checked) shoot really great with no leading in the barrel. Back in the day when I was steadier and my eyesight was keen (if I live until February, i'll be 84), I've shot many a 5-shot group at 25 yds of 1" and still have the targets and I'm still casting and shooting. Big Boomer

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Boomer View Post
    Old thread but I have read through the entirety of it with great interest. I, too, have an older S&W M27 and while I like blue steel, this one is nickel plated and is also a 5 incher on the barrel. While I haven't seen any others like it (nickel plated & a 5 incher), some other owners have said while it is somewhat rare, there are some of them out there. If S&W made 5 of them, there might be 50 or 500 or 5,000 or more. Like the one owned by the Texasflyboy, mine is super accurate with just about everything I put through it, only I've never kept a count of how many. I do have some wadcutter brass but this one isn't picky in that regard. RCBS's 158 gr. SWC (plain base) and Lyman's 158 gr. 358156 SWC (gas checked) shoot really great with no leading in the barrel. Back in the day when I was steadier and my eyesight was keen (if I live until February, i'll be 84), I've shot many a 5-shot group at 25 yds of 1" and still have the targets and I'm still casting and shooting. Big Boomer
    I am still emotionally scared from missing out on a 5” nickel M27 at a gun show in 1988, by one minute.

Price tag: $225

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112