Load DataWidenersSnyders JerkyLee Precision
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingRepackbox
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply

View Poll Results: Do you have a lifetime supply of lead?

Voters
1526. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, What I Have Won't Last

790 51.77%
  • Yes, I Have Enough to Make It to the Other Side

348 22.80%
  • I Just Don't Know

228 14.94%
  • I Hoard for the Sake of Hoarding Itself

160 10.48%
Page 6 of 36 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Do You Have a Lifetime Supply?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by OverMax View Post
    Do I have enough. How does one judge how much is enough.
    Easy... First you die... If you have any leftover at that time, then you had enough... If not, then you didn't...

I'm not so sure I like that way of determining it though...

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by CollinLeon View Post
    Easy... First you die... If you have any leftover at that time, then you had enough... If not, then you didn't...

I'm not so sure I like that way of determining it though...
    Eventually, you will reach an age and an inventory position that will allow you to make reasonable assumptions.

Boolit Grand Master

No such thing as enough or to much! Build up a supply to leave to the grand kids, and make sure they are shooters.
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Nope, what I've got won't last all that long, and unfortunately, wheel weights are drying up. Might be talking with The Captain before long....
    "San Francisco Liberal With A Gun"
    http://www.sanfranciscoliberalwithagun.com/
    http://www.liberalsguncorner.com/ (podcast)
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    .38 Spl, .357 Mag, .44 Spl/Mag, .45 Colt, and .22LR
    A true Liberal must by definition support the entire Constitution, and thus also the 2A, 100%. Any other position is inconsistent with liberalism.

Boolit Man
    I suddenly feel less "crazy' as to how much I have after reading this post. Thanks guys!

Cowboy T love your you tube videos!!

do you have a lifetime supply?

Hi all. I'm new to the forum and to reloading. My son n law has been collecting and reloading for a while now and is casting 30 cal.
    So far I have turned 300 pounds of plumbers lead into small ingots. I did a barter job about a week ago, (I have a powder coating business) the job would have brough in about $200. but by bartering it brought in over 400 pounds of line o type, and 25 pounds of babbit bars.
    I found a recycle place that will sell all the lead I want for .50 per pound so I have another 100 pounds of plumbers lead coming this week.
    Funny how everyone is looking for wheel weights, I haven' worked with any of it yet.
    I have been reading the posts for some time now and recently registered. I'll continue reading before dropping dumb questins on someone.
    I'll be looking for some equipment that someone might be willling to get rid of in the future and I would like to have some long conversations with some black powder folks.

Boolit Grand Master

Well today I got 88# closer to enough. I picked up half a bucket of sorted WWs this morning. That will close a little of the gap toward enough, but will still be short. I plan on watching the curbs on the way to the pearly gates.

im a lil short only have 200#pure , 300#ww , 100#pipe , 250#pure sheet ,75#scrap flashing, stuff is tuff to get any more

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by tbj555 View Post
    im a lil short only have 200#pure , 300#ww , 100#pipe , 250#pure sheet ,75#scrap flashing, stuff is tuff to get any more
    Here's a tip for acquiring more lead. Talk to people about your hobby. Its amazing how that will open the door to getting supplies. Just by doing that I recently acquired 700 lbs of linotype. The guy used to be a printer and his wife kept complaining that it was taking up too much room and to get rid of it. I paid 60 cents a pound for it. They were so happy to get rid of it they even helped me load it and "thanked me for getting rid of it for them" ! I talked to another guy and found out that his roommate just happens to be the foreman at a scrap yard. Now whatever I need to purchase is usually priced in twelve packs of beer..lol. Good luck.

Longwood
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Shirt View Post
    No such thing as enough or to much! Build up a supply to leave to the grand kids, and make sure they are shooters.
    1Shirt!
    With the fascination children, and surprisingly even some grownups,, err adults, err, middle aged people have for electronic toys that they can play while being sedentary while growing a big fat-***, even fewer will be interested when the new stuff is here.

I offered to teach a friends kid to fly for free last year, he hesitated about 5 seconds too long and I seriously doubt he knows just how stupid that was.
    Not long ago, kids would pee themselves if asked if they wanted to learn to fly.
    I hope the knuckle head enjoys his Game Boy.
    I hope his dad still likes him for a house mate and enjoys paying his way when he is 45.
    Children seem to have no desire to do anything anymore unless they expect to get famous for it.

Boolit Master

Not all kids are like that. And those that are, who do you think made them that way??
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Mold
    Not even close

I have a steady supply of around 1500 - 1800 lbs every three months. I would usually clean out the shutes from an indoor shooting range for free. In the past, this indoor shooting range had to hire a hazmat company to clean the shutes. I do it for FREE.
    FREE MEN OWN GUNS, SLAVES DON'T ----- GOD BLESS AMERICA.

Banned
    I am real good on ww

I am pretty good on soft lead

I could use some more babbit

If I am still shooting after the age of 97 I may be in trouble....but I think I am ok on that one as most of my family drops at 83 to 87 years old.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 357maximum View Post
    I am real good on ww

I am pretty good on soft lead

I could use some more babbit

If I am still shooting after the age of 97 I may be in trouble....but I think I am ok on that one as most of my family drops at 83 to 87 years old.

Here's hoping you run out!

Boolit Bub
    I got 380lbs of soft stick on's this weekend for 190 bucks, have them all melted down and poured into 6lb bars already. They were presorted by a guy that collects the clip ons but didnt want the stick ons. Easy Peezy....

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by 358wcf View Post
    Yes, I believe I do- I will be 60 in a few months-
    Last year, I did an "inventory" in that I had to move my lead stash from the garage area to the side yard storage area, by hand, in a small wagon. My best estimate is that I have right at 3000 pounds of quality ingots, ready to go. Several hundred pounds of solder to sweeten the pot at well- today, I scrounge for tin-rich pewter to alloy with the lead to improve the quality of the boolit fillout. I always strive for the very best in quality in my casting, even if it slows me down-
    I am passing on the "art" of casting to my Son in Law these days to make sure all my casting equipment has a good home some day. He's catching on well, and learning that casting is not only about "economy"- it is a passion- a science unto itself-

Chuck 358wcf
    Ya I am planning on finding a woman with a father who's into casting and has way too much lead and will have to pass it down to me after he's gone....im sure I'll like other characteristics of hers as well though

Living another day
    To CRUSH another clay

I definitely don't have a lifetime supply.

First reason, I'm still fairly young. Second, being that I end up having to move move every few years, I keep my stash fairly light. Last time I changed locations, I had a couple hundred pounds of lead to drag along, I'm guessing between 200 and 300 lbs at the time. Add that to the weight of my loaded ammo, tools, lathe and all the other stuff a man HAS to have and things get pretty heavy pretty quick. Once I retire and settle into a home that I feel will be permanent, then I'll look at stockpiling a bit. Once I settle into a permanent place I will also do a few other things that the nomadic military lifestyle isn't conducive to - get a dog, buy a mill, acquire more vehicles (I already have four and moving them is a nightmare).

Quote Originally Posted by mtnman31 View Post
    I definitely don't have a lifetime supply.

First reason, I'm still fairly young. Second, being that I end up having to move move every few years, I keep my stash fairly light. Last time I changed locations, I had a couple hundred pounds of lead to drag along, I'm guessing between 200 and 300 lbs at the time. Add that to the weight of my loaded ammo, tools, lathe and all the other stuff a man HAS to have and things get pretty heavy pretty quick. Once I retire and settle into a home that I feel will be permanent, then I'll look at stockpiling a bit. Once I settle into a permanent place I will also do a few other things that the nomadic military lifestyle isn't conducive to - get a dog, buy a mill, acquire more vehicles (I already have four and moving them is a nightmare).
    Been there done that - retired in 96 with 26 active. Been stockpiling since then. Only had about 300 pounds when I made my last PCS that I took the family with me.
    Big Bore = 45+

Boolit Buddy
    I started with 200lbs and now I have 2000lbs and still looking, I think it is like Gold fever, it doesn't matter how much you have you are constantly looking for more and more some more. I call it lead fever. My wife thinks I have lost my mind, I just brought home 300lbs more today and added to my stash, She said when are you going to stop, I thought a while and said when I am dead. HA!

Page 6 of 36 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast