RepackboxLoad DataLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading

View Poll Results: Do you have a lifetime supply of lead?

Voters
1526. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, What I Have Won't Last

790 51.77%
  • Yes, I Have Enough to Make It to the Other Side

348 22.80%
  • I Just Don't Know

228 14.94%
  • I Hoard for the Sake of Hoarding Itself

160 10.48%
Page 3 of 36 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Do You Have a Lifetime Supply?

Boolit Grand Master
    I answered yes because I have my own range
    my lead all gets recycled and any i don't recycle aint much
    i have enough ww/iso and soft lead to last my needs
    I do need tin more and more
    seems as though I am using more lead tin alloys these days
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master
    I answered "I just don't know".

Why, well tomorrow is never a given, and even if your in relatively decent shape there are always circumstances you cannot foresee.

I have enough that I can happily work up loads for all of my revolvers, a few rifles, and still have quite a bit stashed away for the future. What I shoot in work-ups will be recovered and reused, and what is shot while hunting is an acceptable loss. No matter the amount of lead it's self, I probably have enough, that between it and the J-words I have stashed, my 3 grandsons will hopefully be shooting long after I am gone.
    Later,
    Mike / TX

Boolit Master
    Like Gear said. 90% of my shooting is done at home and re-re-cycled.

Boolit Master

I won't tell! "Lead, what Lead?????"

I can't tell? I don't know how long I'll live or how much I'll shoot!

I better keep scrounging just to be safe!

Boolit Master

Well, I'm not going to retire for 4 more years if I'm still breathing air then. I must have like 1800 lbs, so probably, no. Won't make it. I need to start shooting more 9mm and less .45. enjoy Mike
    Politicians are a lot like diapers. They should be changed frequently, and for the same reason. Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Man
    Being that no one really knows how much longer they will live that question is to ambiguous.

Getting close. I don't shoot as much as some of the guys here. Every time I go to the range and am by myself I pick up lead. I average about 15 pounds a trip. I just started that a month or so ago, thanks to some of the posts I saw here.

My company just got into the home security business so I had an alarm installed on Friday. There was a problem with a motion sensor and the alarm went off while I was at the range.

Part of the package was a a camera that records video when the alarm goes off.

I didn't lock the door to my reloading room which is where I had the camera placed. You should have seen the look on the LEO's when they walked in! I am certain they think I have enough ammo, lead and powder.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by bowfishn View Post
    Being that no one really knows how much longer they will live that question is to ambiguous.
    +1 I'll be 70 next month and I have already given up trying to clean up 500 to 1000 lbs of WW in a day. I don't even go looking any more. Too much trouble for too few among all the steel and zinc.

I would estimate that I've got a couple of tons of various alloys with the great majority being WW. At the rate I'm using it you all can contact my sons someday to see about buying some. Although that may be several years down the road(I hope).
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Buddy
    I answered "no." In terms of WW and pure lead that still needs to be smelted out or is in ingots already probably not. If you include the already cast projectiles I might.

Will add more as possible nonetheless.

Boolit Buddy
    I answered yes. I'm 67 and have about 1800 pounds of range lead in ingots and when I get bored i go out and cast something up and put in a box, label it with what it is and how many pounds. I probably have about 700 pounds of various pistol bullets in boxes waiting for sizing and lubing. the other day I noticed some bullets on the garage floor. One of the boxes had split from the weight on top. Had to do an emergency operation on that box with duct tape. Now they are all contained again and happy.

I voted that I have enough but that is assuming the odd score of lead between now and my date with the reaper , I definitly have enough to take me to my retirement years, Ihope to get to shoot enough in my retirement to use it all up but right now I work way to much to make a serious dent in my stash . I still pick up stray wheel weights when I am out for a walk though

Boolit Master

skeettx,

Sweet. What do you estimate that cross box weighs?

I figure I've got enough. Certainly doesn't stop me from gathering more, that's sure.

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

Boolit Master
    I've got about 400 lbs. in either small, 2 1/2 lb., ingots or six inch frying pan size ones waiting to be mixed into smaller ingots. There are probably 100 lbs of boolits either raw or sized and lubed. Last two trips to the range I have come home with more lead than I shot so I have soft stuff to mix with the 60 lbs. of lino I just got from Evan Price. Also hoping to work out a deal when the club cleans the indoor range this fall.

I've probably got enough for the conceivable future as it is, unless I really start shooting heavily. I had planned to do that but I'm finding that even 3.0 of Bullseye is enough to aggravate the nerve damage in my left arm so I may not get back into any serious handgunning. If I'm not going to be dumping a lot of 200 gr. 45s downrange, or even a lot of 150 gr. 38s I've surely got enough as it is. If nothing else, if I can get the indoor range scrap it can be converted into a saleble(sp) product.

Boolit Buddy

Enough... I don't think so...

It's like guns, you're always one short of enough, no matter how many/much you have. I have 400 #s of Lino, 60#s or so of WW and I just bought 100#s of pure lead last week. And I might go back and get the rest of what they had and the tin too. Always trolling for a good buy, if you have any to sell.

Boolit Master
    I have way more than I'll ever shoot but I'd like to make sure my son has enough to get him most of his way there. I never pass on free lead of any type. I wish I had a dollar per pound for all the lead I have cast and shot in the last 45 years. Would take me and the Mrs. on a nice vacation somewhere. My father was a cable foreman for the telephone company and he broughtz home tons of lead joints and a good friends father worked for the car shops for B&O Railroad. Used to be that all the train wheels used a tin and lead based babbit for the bearings. He kept us in good supply to mix up a good alloy. Sure has been good to have been able to cast, load and shoot as much as I have for all these years. I hope the next generation gets the chance also.

Nighthunter

Boolit Grand Master
    Nowhere near a lifetime supply here, and that's intentional--I'm likely to have to move it again for some distance, the job sitch being what it is for teachers/education administrators in California.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master

If I live 20 more years , I may not have enough...LOL
    You Know You Might Be Facing your DOOM , if all you get is a click, Instead of a BOOM !

If God had wanted us to have Plastic gun stocks he would have planted plastic Trees !

I'll have enough when there's enough to last my two sons (15 and 20). Looks like 3,000+ lbs of clip-on, 2,000 lbs of soft and 500 lbs of lino. That's a fair start.

Boolit Master
    I don't have anywhere where I'd like to be at. I keep on at it though. I get lead sheets from work time to time I melt down, and have taken to digging at the range which has been fruitful for me.

Boolit Master
    At my current rate of "consumption" (I'm 62 years old) I have enough unless.......... I'm still hoarding and will continue to do so until I'm not physically able. Lead is part of ammo, and there ain't but 2 kinds, enough and not enough. I don't have enough, my children and grandchildren don't have enough! Read my signature below and you'll know how I feel about a lot of things! 10 ga
    10 gauge: as per Robert Ruark, "use enough gun"

MOLON LABE

"I have a list, and am prepared for widespread civil disorder!" 10 ga

Page 3 of 36 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast