Inline FabricationLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
RepackboxWidenersRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky

View Poll Results: Do you have a lifetime supply of lead?

Voters
1526. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, What I Have Won't Last

790 51.77%
  • Yes, I Have Enough to Make It to the Other Side

348 22.80%
  • I Just Don't Know

228 14.94%
  • I Hoard for the Sake of Hoarding Itself

160 10.48%
Page 20 of 36 FirstFirst ... 101112131415161718192021222324252627282930 ... LastLast

Thread: Do You Have a Lifetime Supply?

Boolit Grand Master

A 500# stash since August is pretty impressive! I'm currently working on a type metal score. Its a friend of a friend kinda deal. Of course, I'll keep looking for more.
    Last edited by lightman; 12-08-2019 at 09:56 PM.

triggerhappy243 said: a lifetime supply is a relative term.

AND:

nvbirdman said: I'm 71 years old.

And I'm saying it again: I'm 66.
    My father died about 5 years ago when he was 94.
    Mom's stiill alive. She's 97 now.
    Do the math....

I just loaded 1000 9mm and another 1000 45ACP. Those 230 grain boolits really chew up the stash but I'm storing over a ton with plenty more coming in.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TC2xTCb_GU

Have you ever heard of an anchor holding SLOW ?
    As far as some of us on this forum, we don't bite; We shoot !
    To see my images at imgur.com
    sign in as BOOLITCASTER
    password - 123456789

Boolit Master

Well,

I just don't know. I shoot into my own berm and am able to reclaim most of what I shoot. I'm 40 and keep my eyes open for available wheelweights and occasionally purchase from individuals or scrap yard. If I get a chance to mine a berm, I will. I have a bunch of wheelweights and about 300 lb of cleaned range scrap to smelt.

I do believe that I'm good to go as long as I am able to reclaim what I shoot. If my two daughters decide they want to shoot, then I may go through my stash a little faster.

Who knows what the future holds. I'm collecting and storing while I can. Lead availability (cheap) is decreasing all the time. What I buy today will always be worth more tomorrow.

Brad

no more,it got stolen .5 x 5gollon of ready to cast alloy

about 800 lbs of processed WW is all, depressing isnt it
    but 5-6000 boolits already made up & sized
    2-3000 not sized yet
    couple 1000 in cal's i dont oun any more 45-70/405g, 45- 155g big lube etc..
    NRA Life Member
    learn to make your own black powder collect bp arms as there presently not recorded
    smokless is a fad its fading fast, helped along by obama

Quote Originally Posted by muzzleblastm38 View Post
    no more,it got stolen .5 x 5gollon of ready to cast alloy
    The whole stolen lead thing has come up a couple of times in threads. Total bummer. Not sure exactly what I have but over 1000# and it took a fair amount of time and money to build that stash up. Would be very discouraging to have it stolen.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
    The whole stolen lead thing has come up a couple of times in threads. Total bummer. Not sure exactly what I have but over 1000# and it took a fair amount of time and money to build that stash up. Would be very discouraging to have it stolen.
    But anybody who can walk off with a thousand pounds of lead will have me saying "Sir."
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Grand Master

Having your stash stolen would suck. I'm really thankful to have my loading room located in the house and to have a shop large enough to hold my stash.

All depends on how fast I go downhill and how busy I stay casting.

I could get sick and die tommorow in which case, yes, I had enough.
    Or I might last for another 20 years in which case no I have no where near enough.

With people selling cast boolits at 25 cents apiece, spending a morning casting for myself feels almost like printing money!

Life is good.

Boolit Mold
    I got about 200 plus pounds of WW's cleaned and melted into round muffins. I stop at every small mom and pop tire store I see and try to score more. Getting really hard to find have tried mining the range berms but it seem like more work for less lead

The answer depends somewhat on one's circumstances. I am 66. I enjoy bullet casting. I have three firearms for which I reload:
    * Ruger 77 Compact in 7mm-08
    * Remington 870 12 gauge slug gun
    * Ruger 40 S&W semi-auto pistol

How much longer will I want to cast and shoot? I don't know. Maybe another ten years, God willing.

I shoot my rifle more than my pistol. And tend to shoot fewer rounds with the rifle per session. I also cast for my Remington 870 slug gun. I have close to 75 pounds of lead in ingots for the slug gun. And wheel weights and Linotype - probably 100 pounds in ingots and 100 pounds in culled and ready to "smelt" wheel weights.

In additon I probably have 200 ready to load bullets each for rifle, pistol and shotgun.

I would really have to step up the frequency of my trips to the range to make a big dent in my supply.

MichiganMike

Boolit Mold
    I've got about 800 lbs wheel wts and 400 lb soft lead. I'm almost 60 years old,I sure hope so!

Quote Originally Posted by limpy View Post
    I've got about 800 lbs wheel wts and 400 lb soft lead. I'm almost 60 years old,I sure hope so!
    1200#, about 45K bullets +/-. So it could be 4-5yrs or 10-20yrs, all depends on how much you shoot. I'm burning about 10K cast a year, so 1200# seems like not nearly enough.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

God willing I have about 30 more years of shooting. I have a ten year supply now. I'm going to keep scrounging.

I think I am all set, thanks.

I was lucky to score a ton of raw wheel weights about 10 years or so ago. Not much in the way of zinc so my yield is probably higher (usually at 80% yield). I may even have more. I did some quick calculations and came up with 90,000 9mm, or 47,000 44 or 71,000 38/357, or 49,000 45 acp or 124,000 380.
    Even though I shoot machine guns, I think I have plenty. The lead is actually in my will. I think I have enough.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Buddy
    At 57 and just getting back into cast rifle shooting, it will be tight. Bullet retrieval and re-use plan will be a big plus.

Boolit Man
    I have a good 500 pounds of lead and do plan on recovering some of the lead I shoot . I feel I need another 500 lbs.
    Now the lead thief thing got me wondering if maybe I should keep about 100 lbs handy all the time and bury the rest.
    How about using 5 gallon plastic buckets, drill a few holes in the bottom of the bucket, dig a hole that the bucket will fit in,
    make a concrete paver big enough to cover the bucket. Dig hole deep enough to add some rocks in the hole and where the paver flush with the ground. Drop bucket in hole , fill with processed lead and cover with paver. Maybe coat the lead in a paraffin wax and new motor oil blend. Just an idea and I may start doing it soon. Just hope I don't forget where I buried the lead,
    maybe I bury it next to my gold bars ....

Boolit Bub
    During 2013 and early 2014 I smelted:
    1,404 # COWW (!/4" letter stamped 'W')
    134 # large Isotope cores (1/4" letter stamped 'I')
    128 # SOWW (1/4" letter stamped 'SW')
    All were poured into 1# Lyman & RCBS ingot molds.
    I also purchased 100# foundry type. (left in raw form for making alloys later)
    67 years old now, should have good supply for years.

Jeff

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by passgas55 View Post
    I have a good 500 pounds of lead and do plan on recovering some of the lead I shoot . I feel I need another 500 lbs.
    Now the lead thief thing got me wondering if maybe I should keep about 100 lbs handy all the time and bury the rest.
    How about using 5 gallon plastic buckets, drill a few holes in the bottom of the bucket, dig a hole that the bucket will fit in,
    make a concrete paver big enough to cover the bucket. Dig hole deep enough to add some rocks in the hole and where the paver flush with the ground. Drop bucket in hole , fill with processed lead and cover with paver. Maybe coat the lead in a paraffin wax and new motor oil blend. Just an idea and I may start doing it soon. Just hope I don't forget where I buried the lead,
    maybe I bury it next to my gold bars ....
    I'm curious about the holes in the bottom of the bucket. As the hole you dig gets water from the surface, won't any hole invite water to accumulate in the bucket until the surrounding ground drains? The pretreating with wax and oil would definitely be needed.

Boolit Master
    Just picked up another 300# of coww and soww from a small tire shop. No where near lifetime supply yet. With the sources drying up and no more big smelters I forsee US lead only getting worse and we will be scrounging. Need to make sure I leave enough lead for my sons when I pass so they can shoot our old semi automatics instead of their laser or phison guns or whatever they'll have in the future