Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Load DataReloading EverythingWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication

View Poll Results: Do you have a lifetime supply of lead?

Voters
1526. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, What I Have Won't Last

790 51.77%
  • Yes, I Have Enough to Make It to the Other Side

348 22.80%
  • I Just Don't Know

228 14.94%
  • I Hoard for the Sake of Hoarding Itself

160 10.48%
Page 12 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Do You Have a Lifetime Supply?

Quote Originally Posted by DeanWinchester View Post
    Shootin em into a bucket and then digging all that out? I guess if I paid for lead I'd feel the same way.
    It is less work than if you are smelting down WW and then blending in Tin/Lino/pure. - You just dump it on a screen and the boolits/bullets fall through - salvage your rubber and through the lead into your smelting pot - flux and make ingots. No more buckets of Clips!!!!!
    Big Bore = 45+

Boolit Master
    Meh, I suppose.
    The tire shop I work in uses a wood stove for heat. I have a super heavy steel pot that I melt weights in. Using a steel hook I just set it in the coals and in a minute or two, I pull it back out. I have a metal pail for scrap metal that the scum and clips go into. Then I pour the lead into a large bar mold I have. About once a month I'll dig out the turkey fryer and spend e afternoon fluxing and casting them into smaller ingots. It's not worth my time to do it in small amounts so I wait until I have a few hundred pounds or so.

I get to do this at work so it's not like it's a chore. The wood stove is like having a free heat source and all the smoke and stink gets carried out the chimney. No smell!!!

I've thought many times about building a bullet trap like the one in the stickies section. But I figure I have more lead now than I will use in this lifetime with more coming all the time. Why bother.

Boolit Buddy
    1000 lbs. on hand. Need to find more WW. Should last 3 to 4 years.

Quote Originally Posted by DeanWinchester View Post
    Meh, I suppose.
    I've thought many times about building a bullet trap like the one in the stickies section. But I figure I have more lead now than I will use in this lifetime with more coming all the time. Why bother.
    Why bother - Zinc and Steel WW's is why.
    Big Bore = 45+

Boolit Master
    The zinc and steel must not be as prevalent in TN.
    Oh I see it. I've probably got 300lbs of zinc cast into clean ingots. .....but I see just about as much lead I as I ever have and I mount and balance tires all day, six days a week.

The thing that I'm seeing is a change in stick on weights. I have plenty of COWWs but I'm finding it difficult to get soft clip ons. I mean, I still get more than enough to feed my need but there's been a BIG shift to ferrous stick on weights as of late.

It may not have reached TN yet, but CA and a few other states have outlawed the lead based COWW. The last buckets of WW I did (about 6 months ago) had about 25-30 percent of Zinc WW.
    Big Bore = 45+

Boolit Master

In my area of TN each bucket of WW has a lot of steel and less zinc. If I felt I needed more lead, I would go after as many buckets as I could get and just sort out the zinc and steel. Since I think I have enough to last, I'm not going to the trouble of getting any more and sorting. Sorting is as dirty a job as I've done lately.
    John
    W.TN

Yep, since this week I have live time supply of lead.

Last week I had a meeting with some antique gun collectors. Most of us complained about the increase of lead prices and that it was harder to get your hands on it. One of the guys who was there also said he had a metal recycling company, just about a 30 min drive from my home.

He invited us and today we (myself and a good friend of mine) drove to him, not expecting that much of it. Man we were totally wrong, the guy had over 60 metric tons of lead! He sold it to us for 65 Euro cents (USD = 86 cents) per kilogram. We could pick the best and finest lead we could find, man we were like kids in a candy store. The only limit was the weight carrying capacity of our cars…....

No more worries about finding lead and that for a super price, so many hours of bullet casting with my son is coming up.

PJ
    StampedeClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Lead bunker.jpg 
Views:	543 
Size:	157.6 KB 
ID:	62153
    Over 27 years experience reloading ammo, specialy with VithaVuori powders and black powder ammo.
    I frequently reload: .45ACP / .44MAG / .357MAG / .357 Maximum / .38 Special / .45-70 / .45-120 / .50-70 / .50-110 / 12,7x44R (and similar European obsolete BP ammo)/ .30-30Win / .223Rem / .38-40 / .44-40 / .300 Win Mag / 7x64 Brenneke (and similar European Rifles/ 9mm / My personal favorites: Freedom Arms revolvers, Winchester, Sharps and Remington rifles (produced before 1900)

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Stampede View Post

Last week I had a meeting with some antique gun collectors. Most of us complained about the increase of lead prices and that it was harder to get your hands on it. One of the guys who was there also said he had a metal recycling company, just about a 30 min drive from my home.

He invited us and today we (myself and a good friend of mine) drove to him, not expecting that much of it. Man we were totally wrong, the guy had over 60 metric tons of lead! He sold it to us for 65 Euro cents (USD = 86 cents) per kilogram. We could pick the best and finest lead we could find, man we were like kids in a candy store. The only limit was the weight carrying capacity of our cars…....

No more worries about finding lead and that for a super price, so many hours of bullet casting with my son is coming up.

PJ

Now that just might be a lifetime supply for me. LOL. Thats a good find for sure.

Scott

I was looking through to find my answer to the poll. After seeing the above post, I don't think I will ever have a lifetime supply.

It's hard to say. I'm 61, and just came across a find of 1000# of pure lead bricks. I split them with my shooting friend, so 500# apiece. That's a lot of lead, since I have monotype on hand, along with some other odds and ends.

It's close, I guess. Depends on how much shooting I do once I retire.

I'm always looking for more, though. LOL

I have about 210 lbs of various types. 50 lbs of linotype, 75 lbs of wheel weight, 75 lbs of 20/1 and 10/1 lead tin, 10 lbs of pure tin. Yes I have enough because i also shoot jacketed boolits.

i must have what i need. i just keep recycling it.

I have 6lbs. I wonder how long that'll last me.... ***.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

I have a little over 800lbs so, NO! I really have to stop selling my boolits as soon as they are cast!! I wont have any left for me...

Doc

Boolit Buddy
    l have working out of town since Feb of last year so far collecting around 4000 pounds. My back tells me l have enough

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Stampede View Post

PJ

You win LOL

I still feel lucky to find this source of lead. Now I even have renewed my casting set up in my basement. I do cast about 800 to 1200 bullets a week and selling them to others at the gun range. Plus I use them for my self, since this huge amount of lead I shoot about twice as much....
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kogelgiethok 1.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	57.0 KB 
ID:	68784
    Over 27 years experience reloading ammo, specialy with VithaVuori powders and black powder ammo.
    I frequently reload: .45ACP / .44MAG / .357MAG / .357 Maximum / .38 Special / .45-70 / .45-120 / .50-70 / .50-110 / 12,7x44R (and similar European obsolete BP ammo)/ .30-30Win / .223Rem / .38-40 / .44-40 / .300 Win Mag / 7x64 Brenneke (and similar European Rifles/ 9mm / My personal favorites: Freedom Arms revolvers, Winchester, Sharps and Remington rifles (produced before 1900)

Do you have a lifetime supply of lead?
    Depends how many days until I succumb to the ravages of love and time.
    A bear, however hard he tries, grows tubby without exercise.

In June of 2012 I had a little over 4000 lbs. Since then I have poured and sold over 100,000 CAS bullets to cover all of my equipment costs / needs for casting and sizing. Right now I'm over 10,000 lbs. and I fully intend to quit scrounging for any more lead. At 64 yrs. of age, I now think I have enough.

Page 12 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast