Lee PrecisionWidenersInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataRotoMetals2RepackboxReloading Everything
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 30 Herrett Contender loads

Boolit Master
    Rocky,

That article you wrote on the .30 Herret is a GEM just like all your other work!

I have just spoke for a .30 Herret Contender barrel in 10" on another forum ......... will get it shortly.

It joins a .357 Herret and .30-30 barrel in 14" and a whole bunch of others, some long tubes as well............

I am in full Contenderitis here as well!!

The 7mm TCU is a great little number as well.

Best regards

Three 44s

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    I've made brass for a friend's gun and shot 18 grains 4227 with the 311291 boolit, sized 308. Neck clearances were checked using the cases after chopped from 30-30 length. I seated the boolits such that they were jammed into the rifling upon fast and hard closing on a 14 twist 10 inch barrel. Installed his Control three ring mounts and 2x Leupold before shooting. Accuracy was 1.00-1.25 inch constant groups during a normal Houston Texas range temp at a hunnert using freshly cut brass and repeated with reloads. My first and last time with any Contender/Center gun. I have been told several years ago that the gun has killed many Texas deer with that same load. As far as I know, the load was never changed. ... felix
    felix

Boolit Buddy
    Just a short note.
    It seems my sight loss is permanent due to a stroke.
    I'm going through an uncomfortable treatment now of an injection into the eye every month. The Doc says after 2 or 3 years there's a possibility of regaining some use, but not to expect too much.

Boolit Grand Master
    John,
    I'm very sorry to hear this update. I continue to wish you the best possible.

Boolit Mold
    I had a Lee collet die made for mine. LOVE IT! and Lee did not charge a fortune for it. I made Woods metal casts of my chamber so that I could trim the brass to fit. Nice when you are only loading for the one barrel. I use a 357 herrett cut off die and then finish the forming with a full sizing die. Trim to the meausrement from the chamber mold, load and fireform. From that point on it is all collet die and little to no trimming.
    I have owned both a one in 14 twist, it had a long lead chamber. I am shooting a 1 in 10 twist with the short lead. Went searching for the one in ten to shoot heavier bullets. I bring this up because both barrells liked the bullet seated at the base of the neck. The twist rates really changed the pressure levels with the 1 in 10 building pressure musch quicker. The 1 in ten will stabilize a 200gr cast out at 200M where the 1 in 14 doesn't like much over 150 at that distance
    Obviously I have been fussing with the T/C 30 Herret combo awhile and intend to continue.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnFM View Post
    Great, thanks.
    That gives me good figures to work with.
    I had been loading 115 grn over 14 grns 2400.
    Nice to see some comparable data for 4198 and 4227.
    I was forming cases with 8 grns Unique, which seemed to work, but never found any other data on it except to fire form.
    If you could would you elaborate on your use of Unique in fire forming the 30 Herrett

Boolit Master

Let me add this to an OLD thread:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	30_Herrett_Contender_info.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	96.8 KB 
ID:	309235

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123